Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #711
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Daymar replies, "Is there someone in security you're confident you can trust, sir, to help keep an eye on him? We don't know how far this conspiracy has spread. The captain would likely appreciate an officer taking initiative to expose a whole cell, rather than just one dreadstormer."
Old 06-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #712
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"There is a member of security I've seen around for a couple of years now. That gives them a better chance of not being a dreadstormer, though its not for sure. Shall I call him? He's fairly high ranking, so he might be able to get assigned... though security has been stretched recently. And it will be difficult to shadow an officer."

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #713
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"There is a member of security I've seen around for a couple of years now. That gives them a better chance of not being a dreadstormer, though its not for sure. Shall I call him? He's fairly high ranking, so he might be able to get assigned... though security has been stretched recently. And it will be difficult to shadow an officer."
"I think that sounds like a good plan, sir. If you'll excuse me, I have some other things to attend to, but I'm happy to be of assistance if you need anything further."
Old 06-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #714
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Zybo reaches out to his security officer buddy, and the dreadstormers go back to their normal activities. Which are not normal, these days.

The meeting with Zybo is over by the first hour of the second shift. You expect 67 hours to pass until you arrive at the depot and 64 hours before Daymar's shift is locked down. Daymar and Hua are in their off hours in the evening. Pacifica is supposed to be asleep.

What will each dreadstormer be doing?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-09-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #715
TGLS

Hua will take nap in anticipation of missed sleep during the night and generally taking it easy.

OOC: Lots of tabbing there...
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #716
Hide

Pacifica exits Zybo’s room in protocolary fashion.

Once the Dread Stormers are good to go and clear, Pacifica tells Day about Nijothu Thovuthi and the plan she devised to have him stay in the ship. She proposes an extraordinary rendezvous to spare him the details regarding the man, but also to involve Hua in Day’s “rescue plan”, besides giving her the update.

Pacifica considers such meeting should be carried on right now, observing both Day and Hua are in their off hours, but also that she and Day have “permission” to move around without a buddy.

Assuming Day agrees, Pacifica nominates herself to fetch Hua, aware of her schedule, Pacifica takes a guess to find her:

Quote:
Pacifica's IQ (finding Hua):
3d6 <= 13
1 + 4 + 2 = 7 ... success.
She also makes use of the map in her head and her knowledge of navigation to reach Hua’s positions as soon as possible:
Quote:
Pacifica's navigation (land):
3d6 <= 13+1
5 + 5 + 1 = 11 ... success.
Pacifica pulls out her notepad and writes a note for Hua, it says H, Hyperspace window ASAP, DP. Eat me. Although she has permission to walk around the ship, Pacifica decides reaching Hua without calling unnecessary attention:
Quote:
Pacifica's stealth:
3d6 <= 15
1 + 2 + 1 = 4 ... critical success!
Pacifica slips the note inside Hua’s shirt, between her breasts, using filch. Afterwards, she shakes Hua a bit (as to wake her up) and leaves quietly for the rendezvous.
Quote:
Pacifica's filch:
3d6 <= 14
3 + 5 + 3 = 11 ... success.
Regarding the activities after the rendezvous, Pacifica will be paying attention to her lunch buddies, checking whether anything new or unexpected happens in the ship. She will conduct her job business as usual, but also dedicates some time to her buddy Nejora (leveraging on her fanaticism to Pacifica).
Quote:
Pacifica's fast-talk (Nejora tell me everything about you):
3d6 <= 13
3 + 1 + 2 = 6 ... success.
OOC: Pacifica wants to learn everything about Nejora: Abilities, her skills, her secrets, her background-story, her motivation to become a soldier, her thoughts about La Quinta… but more importantly: The whole story about her tattoo (just kidding, that’s not as important but Pacifica wants to learn about it). In other words, I would like to see her character sheet. They can dedicate the shift’s downtime and a few of their off hours to this. Pacifica will also spare a few details about her identity (the fake identity), spiced up with the shibboleths she has picked along the road.

Finally, Pacifica will also take the necessary sleep to remain well-rested.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #717
GnomesofZurich

Day considers the plan, but raises a concern, "It sounds like I will need to perform mental surgery on not only Nijothu, but on his buddy as well, and I will need enough information on him to play the part. Can you get me this information?"

Whatever Pacifica's response, Day's immediate concern is dropping them out of hyperspace and putting the engines into a position where they are repairable, but not without a lot of effort and time. Are there fewer staff on the nightshift, meaning is this a time when he is less likely to be caught in his sabotage efforts?
Old 06-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #718
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day considers the plan, but raises a concern, "It sounds like I will need to perform mental surgery (...) and I will need enough information on him to play the part. Can you get me this information?" (...)
Pacfica shares all of the information she has.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #719
TGLS

Hua curses about having to hide something else:
Quote:
[475] 21-06-10 14:43:10 CEST
Holdout
3d6 <= 16 : 4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success
I suppose what happens next depends on when the next meeting window is:
If during sleep shift, I'll slip out of bed, and head over to the meeting place. If on the way, I'll change into my stolen uniform.
Quote:
[476] 21-06-10 14:47:27 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 5 + 4 + 6 = 15 ... success [by three]
[477] 21-06-10 14:48:14 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15 : 4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success
If not, then I'll use the big window room trick:
Quote:
[478] 21-06-10 14:50:05 CEST
Fast-talk
3d6 <= 13 : 6 + 2 + 3 = 11 ... success
And then recycle the stealth rolls above.

"You called the meeting; what's going on?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #720
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day considers the plan, but raises a concern, "It sounds like I will need to perform mental surgery on not only Nijothu, but on his buddy as well, and I will need enough information on him to play the part. Can you get me this information?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacfica shares all of the information she has.
Pacifica has a short dossier on Nijothu's background, qualifications, and so forth. The Planet he's from is Kithithu Station, which is a networked station with about half a million people on it: its a safe cover, no one else is likely to be from there, and Daymar should be able to pull off being used to having a lot more connectivity than this locked-data ship. He has enough familiarity with the shields to pull off being a sheild technician (effective skill 12, at -2 from other mechanic skills, plus the EVA skills). Harder though, and the information Pacifica doesn't have, is his personality.

Quote:
Are there fewer staff on the nightshift, meaning is this a time when he is less likely to be caught in his sabotage efforts?
No, all shifts have the same staff numbers. The "night" (or third) shift has lower ranking officers awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica wants to learn everything about Nejora...
After the meeting.

The meeting is at 2 hours into the second shift. You expect 66 hours to pass until you arrive at the depot and 64 hours before Daymar's shift is locked down. Daymar and Hua are in their off hours in the evening. Pacifica is supposed to be asleep. Hua WAS trying to get some early sleep after dinner, but Pacifica interrupted that. Pacifica is down two hours of sleep so far.