Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #41
whswhs

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Realistic Ultravision: [description of effects here]. [Cost of this variant here, if different]. Note: Ultravision from Basic Set can be used as a generalized UV sight advantage for a campaign with few scientific details.
I don't see any reason that you shouldn't adopt that. Though a case could be made that the realistic effects of UV vision are no better than a perk; and perhaps that the realistic effects of NIR vision likewise are no better than a perk. So that would be something to think about if you're coming up with variant rules for even greater realism.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #42
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
perhaps that the realistic effects of NIR vision likewise are no better than a perk. .
No NIR is equal to multiple levels of Night Vision In almost any situation where you have visual spectrum light you will have near-infrared too.

Gathering the NIR as well as the visible light gives you more photons to use. That's why technological "Night Vision" devices do this.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No NIR is equal to multiple levels of Night Vision In almost any situation where you have visual spectrum light you will have near-infrared too.

Gathering the NIR as well as the visible light gives you more photons to use. That's why technological "Night Vision" devices do this.

Does the same argument apply to realistic UV?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Yes, but to a much smaller extent.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #45
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced Senses p14
structural features on integrated chips (chips made after 2008 are too small!
That might be better as "chips designed with technology better than that of 2008 are too small." There are an awful lot of chips made with less-than-leading-edge technology, because older-generation manufacturing equipment is cheap, and good enough for many purposes.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #46
Anthony

Quote:
That's true. But to read the charts, as opposed to seeing a bunch of blobs, you have to be able to make out the light and dark lines.
To recognize a person, you have to see more than a blob. A successful vision roll is 'see and recognize', not 'see'.
Quote:
But if I come inside, under direct indoor illumination, I can't do so; the letters are just marginally beyond my limit of resolution, and I have to change to reading glasses.
This probably has to do with pupil size, and doesn't apply if you don't have Bad Sight. Also, your direct indoor illumination is likely 1,000 lux or lower.
Quote:
It's not apparent to me that the penalties for low light, the ones that Night Vision buys off, are ever applied to DX. That seems to be a red herring. Or is there something in the published rules that you're basing it on?
Visibility modifiers in combat.
Quote:
Typically adding NUV will give you something like 10-20% more light if it's sunlight, almost nothing if your primary light source is fire or incandescent. Adding NIR will give you around double the light for sunlight, something like five times the light for firelight.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-07-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #47
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That's easy. No Roll Required allows you to automatically detect everything as long as Per-Vision modifier is 3 or greater.
I think you must have misunderstood me. I was talking about things like Dungeons & Dragons Darkvision, which has an abrupt cutoff at sixty feet, or the radar screens in many video games, or hypothetical FTL scanners, or other such devices.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #48
Arcanjo7Sagi

Well, personally, I enjoyed the PDF.

But I was hoping to find a official version of the Dark Sight enhancement suggested by PK, in a thread that I oponed some time ago (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=129188):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
This is slightly more advantageous than taking Hyperspectral Vision [25] and then Dark Vision as an AA [5, or 6 with color]. As such, "Dark Sight" might make a reasonable (if completely unrealistic) special enhancement for Hyperspectral Vision at +30% for B&W or +40% for color. That works out to +8 points or +10 points, which seems fair considering the hefty degree of overlap.
Anyway, very nice PDF.

And about the discussion... there will be an errata or it's ok? Because you guys do sound like that the PDF need an official adjustment for some advantages.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #49
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Blood Taste
9 points
Included in: Enhanced Senses.
You can identify human blood types from a few drops on a successful Taste roll. You must actually take the blood in your mouth to do so. On an IQ roll, you can recognize an individual’s distinctive combination of blood components if you have tasted his blood before, or recognize toxins and other pathological conditions. For other species, apply the appropriate physiology modifier (p. B181).
Statistics: Detect Blood (Analyzing, +100%; Biological (Passive), ‑5%; Taste-Based, Reversed, ‑20%) [9].
This build doesn't seem quite right to me:
Quote:
Analysis Only: You cannot use your Detect to detect the substance! However, once you’ve located it using your other senses, you can analyze it normally. -50%.
Detect Blood (Analyzing, +100%; Analysis Only -50%; Biological (Passive), ‑5%) [8].

You can Analyze blood if you can do one of: see, smell, touch, taste, or somehow hear it. Which is better than "Blood Taste" because you don't really want to have to put random bits of blood in your mouth.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #50
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
You can Analyze blood if you can do one of: see, smell, touch, taste, or somehow hear it. Which is better than "Blood Taste" because you don't really want to have to put random bits of blood in your mouth.
You may very well if you're a sanguinivore, or a creepy supervillain, or a vampire.

Tags
powers