Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Spaceships/Pyramid 3/34] SHIELD Helicarrier from Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Also Iron Man's thrusters as well, I'd say. In fact, I would probably say "repulsors" in the MCU are reactionless thrusters. The real question is "rotary, standard, or hot, as far as performance goes?"
Repulsors could be hot thrusters. They have visible discharge and seem to affect their surroundings on at least a token basis.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Repulsors could be hot thrusters. They have visible discharge and seem to affect their surroundings on at least a token basis.
At least in the films, the hand-mounted Repulsors were Iron Man's primary offensive weapons. Sounds 'hot' to me.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #33
Langy

Quote:
Also Iron Man's thrusters as well, I'd say. In fact, I would probably say "repulsors" in the MCU are reactionless thrusters. The real question is "rotary, standard, or hot, as far as performance goes?"
I agree with my compatriots in saying they're definitely Hot.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #34
wabishtar

OK, I thought I'd try stating out the Milano myself. I started to do it as an SM +7 ship, but as I got further into the design, it started to seem too big and too expensive, so I scaled it down to an SM +6. The movie makes no reference to how the Milano travels at FTL, but a comic friend of mine said that in the comic books they go through hyperspace, so I went with that. I also decided that the hyperdrive requires fuel, given Star Lord's line about how expensive the trip to Knowhere was. The contragravity lifter I added because the Milano seems to be capable of VTOL, and because of the scene at the end of the movie where all the Ravager ships float above the surface of Xandar and shoot up at the necrocraft. For the ship's armor, I used the optional rule from Pyramid 3/34 that increases the dDR with the more armor systems you add.

Milano

Front Hull

[1-2] Nanocomposite Armor, dDR 16, $1M
[3] Control Room (2 Control Stations, C8 Computer, Comm/Sensor 6), $600K
[4-5!!] Major Batteries (2 30 MJ X-Ray Lasers, Fixed Mount), $1.2M
[6] Habitat (1 Cabin), $100K

Center Hull

[3!] Contragravity Lifter, $1M
[4-6] Cargo Hold, 15 Tons
[Core] Habitat (1 Bunkroom), $100K

Rear Hull

[3] Engine Room, $30K
[4] Fuel Tank (1 Week of Hyperspace Travel), $300K
[5!] Hyperspace Drive, FTL-1, $1M
[6!] Hot Reactionless Thruster, 2G, $300K
[Core] Antimatter Reactor, 4 Power Points, 20 Years Endurance, $2M

Artificial Gravity, $100K
Stealth Hull, $500K
Winged, $500K
FTL Comm/Sensor Arrays
Stardrive Fuel

TL 11^; dST/HP 30; HT 13; Hnd/SR 0/4; Move 2G/FTL-1; SM +6; LWt. 100; dDR 16; Occ 6ASV; Load 15.6; Cost $11.73M

Air Performance

Move 20/1750; Hnd/SR +5/5
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #35
vierasmarius

I haven't seen the movie, but based on images of the ship's interior it looks a bit bigger than that. For example, the cockpit has at least 3 or 4 control stations, and there's a good-sized lounge or briefing room. That might just mean it has less Armor / Cargo and more Habitats, or that the ship should be the next size up. If using ericbsmith's excellent Spaceships Design Spreadsheet you could use his Intermediate SM optional rule, to give it SM +6.5.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #36
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabishtar View Post
Milano

Front Hull

[3] Control Room (2 Control Stations, C8 Computer, Comm/Sensor 6), $600K
[4-5!!] Major Batteries (2 30 MJ X-Ray Lasers, Fixed Mount), $1.2M
[6] Habitat (1 Cabin), $100K

Center Hull

[3!] Contragravity Lifter, $1M
[4-6] Cargo Hold, 15 Tons
[Core] Habitat (1 Bunkroom), $100K

Rear Hull

[3] Engine Room, $30K
[4] Fuel Tank (1 Week of Hyperspace Travel), $300K
[5!] Hyperspace Drive, FTL-1, $1M
[6!] Hot Reactionless Thruster, 2G, $300K
[Core] Antimatter Reactor, 4 Power Points, 20 Years Endurance, $2M

Artificial Gravity, $100K
Stealth Hull, $500K
Winged, $500K
FTL Comm/Sensor Arrays
Stardrive Fuel

TL 11^; dST/HP 30; HT 13; Hnd/SR 0/4; Move 2G/FTL-1; SM +6; LWt. 100; dDR 16; Occ 6ASV; Load 15.6; Cost $11.73M

Air Performance

Move 20/1750; Hnd/SR +5/5
You don't need the CG lifter with 2 G. It can hover like a
Harrier. Also there's the bit where the Milano is fleeing that first planet and the drive apparently gets temporarily knocked out by that geyser and it fllas until Star Lord does a mi9d-air restart. That wouldn't happen if there was CG.

The nose weapons are definiitely VRF and usable in atmosphere. X-ray lasers would have to be field-jacketed. That's why I said "blasters(?)".

There was some place where Drax could sit and sharpen his knives and it looked like neither a cabin or a bunkroom to me. I'd have called it a lounge. somebody had put "I Am (still) Groot" on a table there. Could have been a small eating area.

Definitely 4 seats in the cockpit.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #37
Phantasm

Quote:
You don't need the CG lifter with 2 G. It can hover like a
Harrier. Also there's the bit where the Milano is fleeing that first planet and the drive apparently gets temporarily knocked out by that geyser and it fllas until Star Lord does a mi9d-air restart. That wouldn't happen if there was CG.

The nose weapons are definiitely VRF and usable in atmosphere. X-ray lasers would have to be field-jacketed. That's why I said "blasters(?)".

There was some place where Drax could sit and sharpen his knives and it looked like neither a cabin or a bunkroom to me. I'd have called it a lounge. somebody had put "I Am (still) Groot" on a table there. Could have been a small eating area.

Definitely 4 seats in the cockpit.
Four in the cockpit, but I only recall seeing two control stations (Peter's and Rocket's); the other two seats may have been passenger seats.

I only recall one cabin (Peter's), but there could be 1-3 others. Like Serenity, it appears larger on the inside than on the outside. I agree with calling the place in the mid-credits scene a lounge.

Given the overall feel, I'd agree with the forward guns being blasters. They don't appear to be long-range even in space; probably a switch between neutral and charged particle beams for atmo or space use (but IIRC that's the standard for Spaceships' particle beams).

The drives appear to have VTOL thrust. If I may hazard a guess, the maneuver drives are fusion torch or plasma torch engines with both high-thrust and ram-rocket options (the latter enabling atmo flight without stored reaction mass).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #38
Phantasm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
At least in the films, the hand-mounted Repulsors were Iron Man's primary offensive weapons. Sounds 'hot' to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I agree with my compatriots in saying they're definitely Hot.
I was looking at the repulsor thrusters not by their heat exhaust but their TL11 G performance. (Rotary: 0.1G; Standard: 1G; Hot: 2G.) Heat waste signatures can be added as a minor design feature/switch with a house rule. (Repulsors are probably not "rotary" in performance. Save that for the large, sluggish ships.) Can Iron Man in the movies reach escape velocity? Hard to say.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #39
Langy

Quote:
I was looking at the repulsor thrusters not by their heat exhaust but their TL11 G performance. (Rotary: 0.1G; Standard: 1G; Hot: 2G.) Heat waste signatures can be added as a minor design feature/switch with a house rule. (Repulsors are probably not "rotary" in performance. Save that for the large, sluggish ships.) Can Iron Man in the movies reach escape velocity? Hard to say.
I was as well looking at their performance. Iron Man in the movies probably can reach escape velocity, though his suit isn't made for space travel (another one he made in the comics is, though), and perhaps more importantly he's shown to be more maneuverable than an F-22, which has >1G of acceleration.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #40
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I was as well looking at their performance. Iron Man in the movies probably can reach escape velocity, though his suit isn't made for space travel (another one he made in the comics is, though), and perhaps more importantly he's shown to be more maneuverable than an F-22, which has >1G of acceleration.
He can hover vertically using just his thrusters; this means he must have a thrust of at least 1G, more to be able to fly straight up. Anything over 1G means that the only thing that will limit him from reaching escape velocity is lack of fuel, not acceleration, and he seems to have a plot driven amount of "fuel" energy available.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, marvel, pyramid 3/34, spaceships