Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #61
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [Movie Supers] Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
A single Alternate Form gives him a suite of Gadgets at most (and I'd only do it that way to represent being able to damage specific aspects of the suit, rather than just the whole thing at once).
Right. That's what I'm talking about. He might get his leg armor of his face armor damaged while the rest of it keeps working. The way to do that in AF is to give those different areas their own individual gadgets.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #62
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Right. That's what I'm talking about. He might get his leg armor of his face armor damaged while the rest of it keeps working. The way to do that in AF is to give those different areas their own individual gadgets.
Oh, yeah. Agreed. I thought you were talking about using multiple Alternate Forms to represent different individual gadgets.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #63
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Agreed. I thought you were talking about using multiple Alternate Forms to represent different individual gadgets.
The problem is that you end up paying more for the DR that way, since all the limited advantages don't add up to 100%, they add up to much more than that.

We'll end up paying more buying them separately than if we purchased them as one large lump. That's a problem. Is there any way around it?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #64
naloth

Quote:
Naw, the Alternate Form has Once on, Stays On: for three points, he can use that ability once, but a 'use' for Alternate Form is only for changing forms - once he uses it, he is permanently in that form until he chooses to switch to a new form.
That enhancement prevents you from switching back if knocked out or killed. It does nothing if the duration runs out. Typically a "use" had a duration of 1 minute. Furthermore, adding that enhancement would increase the base cost of the AF advantage to (15, +50% modifiers) at 22.5 points not including other modifiers and you pay full value for the highest point template (100% of the highest, not 90%). You would either need to get away from the limited use concept or add increased duration to extend the duration.

Quote:
As far as treating it like a gadget, I'd personally still do that, but the Alternate Form advantage wouldn't have any Gadget modifiers. Instead, the abilities inside the Alternate Forms would have the Gadget modifiers. Alternate Form would just be used to represent Tony switching to a different set of Gadgets.
That's what modular pools are for, not shape-shifting (AF).
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #65
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
The problem is that you end up paying more for the DR that way, since all the limited advantages don't add up to 100%, they add up to much more than that.

We'll end up paying more buying them separately than if we purchased them as one large lump. That's a problem. Is there any way around it?
Sure. Buy the base DR as if it were the entire suit; you can still make the individual locations have higher DR.

An ability that comes from multiple gadgets can be modeled through a single actual advantage easily enough.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, breakable, iron man, marvel, stark, supers