Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #161
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

CBR (https://www.cbr.com/richest-characters-dc-much-worth/) puts Wayne at around $80 billion. Aquaman is by far the wealthiest character on Earth in DC (at $150 trillion), primarily because he rules 70% of the surface area, giving him access to wealth that makes the USA seem poor by comparison. Aquaman would likely have Multimillionaire 6 (personal assets of $2 trillion) and Independent Income 10, giving him $200 billion a month of income (>2% per year return on $150 trillion), allowing him to do things like a moonbase on a whim.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 03-31-2020 at 07:12 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #162
Phantasm

I doubt Aquaman is worth that much because he doesn't exploit all those resources. Mostly, since he only really rules a pair of cities and the area directly surrounding them in the Atlantic (Poseidonis and Tritonis, both of which are surviving relics of Plato's Atlantis) which rely on magic more than science for a lot of their needs, he doesn't really have ready access to the same kind of wealth that Luthor and Wayne do. Other underwater cities he's encountered give lip service to his claim of "king of the oceans", but they're a) few and far between, and b) usually splinter sects that broke away from his Atlantis in the first place (Garth/Aqualad's native Idyllists being one such splinter sect). And I can't see him enforcing any kind of tribute from any Pacific or Indian Ocean cities, or even South Atlantic cities.

He has the potential for what you claim, but I doubt he actually has that kind of wealth because he hasn't pursued it the same way Luthor, Wayne, Dayton, Jupiter, etc. have.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:03 PM   #163
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
CBR (https://www.cbr.com/richest-characters-dc-much-worth/) puts Wayne at around $80 billion. Aquaman is by far the wealthiest character on Earth in DC (at $150 trillion), primarily because he rules 70% of the surface area, giving him access to wealth that makes the USA seem poor by comparison. Aquaman would likely have Multimillionaire 6 (personal assets of $2 trillion) and Independent Income 10, giving him $200 billion a month of income (>2% per year return on $150 trillion), allowing him to do things like a moonbase on a whim.
I don't know what sources you're using, but claiming to rule something is not the same as being able to efficiently exploits resources there.

How many subjects does Aquaman actually have, what kind of economy do they have and how are they generating all that wealth?

If you rule a couple of thousand people, it doesn't really matter how much area you claim to control, you don't really have any way to monetize these claims.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:32 PM   #164
AlexanderHowl

It would give the Justice League a good reason to keep him on the team though ("Hey Aquaman, we need another $20 billion for a moonbase, can you write a check?")
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #165
DangerousThing

Quote:
It would give the Justice League a good reason to keep him on the team though ("Hey Aquaman, we need another $20 billion for a moonbase, can you write a check?")
Sorry, but I left my wallet in my other pair of swim trunks. Maybe Bruce has one in his utility belt? :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 AM   #166
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Sorry, but I left my wallet in my other pair of swim trunks. Maybe Bruce has one in his utility belt? :)
* Batman flashes his MasterCard Diamond card. "Never leave home without it."

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #167
naloth

Quote:
It's also misleading. Aquaman's personal wealth is a few items and perhaps a lighthouse. Aquaman can use the resources of ocean or Atlantis as the nominal (and often dethroned) ruler, but that wealth isn't exactly his and he certainly faces obstacles to using it.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #168
Anders

I see the situation as akin to the 15th and 16th century kings - they had personal wealth, but the wealth of the nation was not theirs to command. (For instance, one king of Denmark was allowed to attack Sweden - as the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, not as the king of Denmark - but on his own money.)

So when the Justice League says to Aquaman "We need $20 billion for a moon base", Aquaman can credibly say "My council won't allow it. You explain to them how it benefits the Atlanteans..."
Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #169
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
It's also misleading. Aquaman's personal wealth is a few items and perhaps a lighthouse. Aquaman can use the resources of ocean or Atlantis as the nominal (and often dethroned) ruler, but that wealth isn't exactly his and he certainly faces obstacles to using it.
And Atlantis isn't even that big in the first place. It's just a city state that is politically dominant over several other city states. Even put all together the various cities don't even remotely come close to claiming the entire ocean. DC comics has fishermen, offshore drilling platforms and recreational scuba diving just like our world. Really Arthur's realm is no bigger than Wakanda.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #170
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Yeah, I can't recall any writeup of Aquaman that gave him access to such vast wealth. I am, though getting a chuckle out of the image of someone asking "Why would *your* wallet be in *Batman's* utility belt??" lol
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers