Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: GURPS Sky High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
Teen Hero -- Release for the Hero System that focuses specifically on teenage supers and their world and issues. Invaluable.
I would actually not suggest this book for precisely the same reason. It isn't useful unless you're running a teen hero in their world. It lacks any level of useful information if you're trying to run something of your own creation. I picked it up when I was working on my Teen Supers game and discovered it to be practically worthless.

Now, if you're interested in running a Teen Champions game, it's highly useful, but if you're trying to make your own teen game it really lacks useful information.

The Mutants & Masterminds teen book was much more useful. I can't remember what it's called, but my brain isn't firing on full cylinders today.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
Flynnarrel

I've played Supers in Gurps and I play in a M&M2e game as well.

The Gurps nd M&M share a similar focus in character creation. Every power can be emulated and tweaked for how you envision it working. The point buy systems are great for this. M&M is more comic booky and involves liberal use of HandWavium by the GM and players, GURPs is more realistic.

Yes, Hero High is a great supplement and gives some good, thought provoking material for this genre regardless of system.
Flynnarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
FUDGE is still in print, and if you want a strong storytelling focus and less tactics, it's a good alternative; I've used it for a supers campaign. The current edition even has a few pages of mine on FUDGE supers!

Bill Stoddard
Ahhh... I seriously was thinking GURPS, but I just picked up my first set of FUDGE dice two weekends ago...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
I must strongly disagree with this statement. Supers has an impressive amount of wordcount devoted to genre treatment (including several "genre assumptions -> rules" transmutations that drastically affect how "super-y" a campaign feels). I think a Sky High game would suffer without it.

And strong agreement here. IOU will give you a great grasp on "silly school" settings in general, and presents one which can be used pretty much as-is for supers. In fact, someone did a great Pyramid article on just that subject; if I weren't so lazy, I'd find it and link to it.
Would you recommend Supers over Powers, if one had to choose one or the other?

And how about School of Hard Knocks? Versus IOU?

And thanks everyone for the input! You guys rock!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
Perssek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
The Mutants & Masterminds teen book was much more useful. I can't remember what it's called, but my brain isn't firing on full cylinders today.
Itīs called Hero High, and itīs not only a teen superhero M&M book, itīs a teen superhero campaign book. Itīs so good you can skip the (few) rules sections and go straight to the part where it describes how to create and mantain a angst-rich campaign where the main characters are getting into trouble by stealing the bat-car for a mall ride.

Yeah, that good and so generic it should be GURPS.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #16
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn

You kind of need Powers to get full value out of Supers (there are plenty of templates that depend on stuff introduced in Powers, for one), so if it *has* to be one or the other, I guess get Powers first.

School of Hard Knocks was mainly just a combat/hostage scenario, as I recall, while IOU has lots more good campaign advice on running games in a school setting, so I'd go for IOU instead unless you mainly want a map of a high school....
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
You kind of need Powers to get full value out of Supers (there are plenty of templates that depend on stuff introduced in Powers, for one), so if it *has* to be one or the other, I guess get Powers first.
IF you can only get one, it should be Powers... 'nuff said.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
It's true that there are rules in Powers that you need/want but if it really is one or the other I'd go with Supers. You'll be using almost all of Supers (even without Powers) whereas you'll only be using part of Powers even with Supers.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Captain-Captain

Quote:

Powers first. A fair amount of the game mechanical part of Supers depends on Powers. What Supers does that Powers does not is explore the Supers setting in far greater detail.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
PK

Quote:
I wouldn't. They're both really necessary, IMO. Supers will have the info that you really need and can use, but if you haven't read Powers, about 25% of it will make absolutely no sense and another 10-15% will be confusing.

Quote:
Get Supers and Powers before either. Then pick up IOU. Skip SOHK completely -- it, like most 3e supers stuff, is mediocre quality at best.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iou, school