Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
DSumner

Default Random stuff on Ogre/GEV

I've been tinkering around with some stuff and figured I'd post it here. The first part is my thoughts on the use of Infantry.

INFANTRY TACTICS IN G.E.V.

Let’s face it, no matter how you cut it, in Ogre, Infantry, the “Queen of battle”, is pretty much regulated to the role of cannon fodder. They die, and they die a lot. But, how they’re used before they’re vaporized in a nuclear inferno, can make all the difference in the world to the outcome of a game.

In the Defense

Players need to use a little common sense when they’re placing units on the board. On the basic Ogre map board choices are severely limited, but any of the GEV maps give players a wide range of options. They need to make maximum use of defensive terrain. Woods and city hexes are the best suited for infantry operations, as they restrict the movement of GEVs, and provide the lowly grunts the best defensive bonuses.

The terrain, on the basic GEV map, also tends to funnel units in certain directions. These clear areas, running through restricted terrain, are what the military refers to as avenues of approach (roadways, improved roads, trails, etc. are called high speed avenues of approach). Use your infantry as a blocking force along these routes. While odds are good that they won’t stop an attackers main effort, they will usually delay them long enough for reinforcements to arrive, and in the event he wants to overrun their position, he’ll probably loose a unit or two along the way.

Another good option is using infantry as a defensive screen for your artillery. Several Mobile Howitzers, placed along a road ways, with a screen of infantry providing it cover, will go a long way in slowing down most major enemy advances. Yes he may pick them off, but until then, they’ll rain down nuclear fire all along his line of advance.

When the natural terrain isn’t providing the cover you need, make your own. Revetments and Strong Points are your friends, use them. When placed in wooded and city hexes, and then filled with small squads of Infantry, they can be very tough nuts to crack for anything short of an Ogre. This is one of the areas where Engineers make they’re money. While an attacker may have the sheer firepower to push through your defenses, odds are pretty good he’ll pay a heavy price for trying to drive through them.

When defending against an Ogre, they’re primary roll is to kill Ogre treads. Use other Ogres and heavy armor to take out the Ogre’s main guns, then quickly take out as many of his AP weapons as you can. This will at least let the grunts have fighting chance. Use long rang weapons to slow the beast down so your infantry can at least keep up, and then swarm the sucker. He’s still going to smoke the guys attacking him, but at least they’ll know they went out with a purpose.

On the Attack

Infantry are just flat out slow. You need to get them to the fight for them to be effective. If you have the points to spare, a few GEV-PC are usually well worth the investment. They’ll allow you to move you troops around the battlefield rapidly. They can be used to exploit breaks in the enemy’s lines. Or in raid type scenario’s they can wreck havoc on his rear areas. Two or three GEV-PCs full of troops can tear up a lot of urban area if not bottled up quickly.

Also, the best unit for dealing with dug in infantry, is other infantry. Be warned, expect to take some heavy losses, but it’s better to loose your leg units than a high priced piece of armor. Now that doesn’t mean you have to go hey diddle diddle, and charge straight up the middle into a slaughter. Give them some support. Once again a GEV-PC can provide that extra little bit of firepower they need to get the job done effectively. The best tactic is to race up to your objective, and have the Infantry dismount just prior to conducting an overrun.

I'll post my thoughts on Militia, HW, and Engineers later.

Last edited by DSumner; 11-24-2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: fixing typos
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
piningforthefjords

Default Re: Random stuff on Ogre/GEV

I like your point about revetments. If you've never used them before, they make a huge difference.

I'm unaware of any rules about Strong Points - are there canon rules about these or are you using house rules here?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Hemlock

Where do I find the rules for Revetments and Strong Points ?
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Apache
On Notice

I believe they are in OM.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
piningforthefjords

Revetments are described in Ogre Battlefields and Ogre Miniatures. I don't see any rules for Strong Points in either.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 AM   #6
DSumner

Sorry about that, I should have clarified what a strong point is. In Space Gamer #74, there's an optional rule for placing infantry inside of structures. Basically a strong point is a hardened structure, usually placed along an avenue of approach. What you'd do is place them somewhere like a major road intersection, near bridge, or a dam. Attackers have to destroy the building, to kill the infantry hiding inside.

It's one of the ways Infantry can be effective against armor/GEV type units. They'll have to slow down and clear any Infantry out of the various city/town hexes, and without Infantry support, they have two choices. 1) slug it out with the guys hunkered down in a 30 point structure, or 2) sit outside their target's effective range of fire and shell the place. Both are time consuming, and the first one usually costs the attacker a lot of troops.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
ArmoredYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
I've been tinkering around with some stuff and figured I'd post it here. The first part is my thoughts on the use of Infantry.

INFANTRY TACTICS IN G.E.V.

Let’s face it, no matter how you cut it, in Ogre, Infantry, the “Queen of battle”, is pretty much regulated to the role of cannon fodder. They die, and they a lot. But, how they’re used before they’re vaporized in a nuclear inferno, can make all the difference in the world to the out come of a game.

In the Defense

Players need to use a little common sense when they’re placing units on the board. On the basic Ogre map board choices are severely limited, but any of the GEV maps give players a wide range of options. They need to make maximum use of defensive terrain. Woods and city hexes are the best suited for infantry operations, as they restrict the movement of GEVs, and provide the lowly grunts the best defensive bonuses.

The terrain, on the basic GEV map, also tends to funnel units in certain directions. These clear areas, running through restricted terrain, are what the military reefers to as avenues of approach (road ways, improved roads, trails, etc. are called high speed avenues of approach). Use your infantry as a blocking force along these routes. While are good that they won’t stop an attackers main effort, they will usually delay them long enough for reinforcements to arrive, and in the event he wants to overrun their position, he’ll probably loose a unit or two along the way.

Another good option is using infantry as a defensive screen for your artillery. Several Mobile Howitzers, placed along a road ways, with a screen of infantry providing it cover, will go a long way in slowing down most major enemy advances. Yes he may pick them off, but until then, they’ll rain down nuclear fire all along his line of advance.

When the natural terrain isn’t providing the cover you need, make your own. Revetments and Strong Points are your friends, use them. When placed in wooded and city hexes, and then filled with small squads of Infantry, they can be very tough nuts to crack for anything short of an Ogre. This is one of the areas where Engineers make they’re money. While an attacker may have the sheer firepower to push through your defenses, odds are pretty good he’ll pay a heavy price for trying to drive through them.

When defending against an Ogre, they’re primary roll is to kill Ogre treads. Use other Ogres and heavy armor to take out the Ogre’s main guns, then quickly take out as many of his AP weapons as you can. This will at least let the grunts have fighting chance. Use long rang weapons to slow the beast down so your infantry can at least keep up, and then swarm the sucker. He’s still going to smoke the guys attacking him, but at least they’ll know they went out with a purpose.

On the Attack

Infantry are just flat out slow. You need to get them to the fight for them to be effective. If you have the points to spare, a few GEV-PC are usually well worth the investment. They’ll allow you to move you troops around the battlefield rapidly. They can be used to exploit breaks in the enemy’s lines. Or in raid type scenario’s they can wreck havoc on his rear areas. Two or three GEV-PCs full of troops can tear up a lot of urban area if not bottled up quickly.

Also, the best unit for dealing with dug in infantry, is other infantry. Be warned, expect to take some heavy losses, but it’s better to loose your leg units than a high priced piece of armor. Now that doesn’t mean you have to go hey diddle diddle, and charge straight up the middle into a slaughter. Give them some support. Once again a GEV-PC can provide that extra little bit of firepower they need to get the job done effectively. The best tactic is to race up to your objective, and have the Infantry dismount just prior to conducting an overrun

I'll post my thoughts on Militia, HW, and Engineers later.

absolutely great post. especially the heigh diddle diddle part...my military history teacher used that to describe almost the entire civil war, ww ii tactical approach
ArmoredYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
DSumner

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to get around to posting the stuff on Engineers next. IMHO, they are the single most versatile unit in the game. After that it's on to Militia and HW. I've also worked up some stuff on Mines.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
ArmoredYak

said wwii, meant wwi, oops

also, looks like the copies of the videotape box ogre/gev are hitting at least 30 bucks plus shipping on ebay.

someone might take a hint, and run off a few at the printer.
ArmoredYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
DSumner

For those of you who actually pay attention to my ramblings, here are few more notes, ideas, and comments.

IMHO there are a few problems with the cost of Marines, Heavy Weapon squads, and Militia, in Ogre Minis. Marines are far too expensive (4 points) for what they do. (Although I'm wondering why you would even have to have a special Marine battlesuit to begin with, but it is only a game). I’m suggesting that the cost be reduced to 3 points.

Militia, on the other hand, is WAY too cheap. They need to have their cost increased to bring them inline with their cost in the board game. I also think that Heavy Weapons squads are too expensive also. 4 points is a bit too much for what’s basically a one trick pony. They only get one shot before converting back to a standard INF unit. I’d suggest they have their cost reduced to 3 points, or the number of missiles they can fire be increased.

One additional note on HW squads. Heavy Weapons Infantry may not fire there missile weapon while riding on vehicles, to include GEV-PC. Even though the rules don't clearly state it, I do remember SJ mentioning it somewhere. It makes sense and helps keep the game balanced.

As for the use of the units themselves, I’ve got a few suggestions. HW teams make great GEV killers. A HW squad placed on the far side of a river would come as a nasty surprise to a group of GEVs. Put it in a tree line or revetment. The GEVs would have to stop for the river, and then have the HW squad fire on a GEV. Odds are good they’ll kill at least one.

Militia is great for defending large urban areas. Place one counter per city hex. If your opponent wants to get through them, he’ll have to overrun the counters, or try to shell them, which will slow down his progress. It’s even better if you have a revetment or two at areas you know he’ll have to cross over to reach his objective. They also make a great screen for Howitzers and Missile Tanks. A Mobile Howitzer placed on a road hex, with Militia placed in city hexes around it, will give an attacking force a major case of heartburn, especially if there are time constraints involved.

Next time I’ll post some stuff on Engineers and mines.

Last edited by DSumner; 01-12-2008 at 06:23 PM.