Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Greg 1

Default Re: Meta: LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

THIS GAME IS NOW FINISHED, SO NO LONGER RECRUITING

Dungeons of Death

Are you ready to hack?

This is a straightforward dungeon-crawl for 250 point GURPS Dungeon Fantasy characters built using the classes in the DF series. The dungeon is guaranteed not to make any sense - rooms will be strung together and populated with monsters with no rhyme or reason beyond what seems cool at the time, in the most surreal traditions of old-school D&D.

The game is not intended to last. In about 30 days, I will probably have to stop. I have no idea how far we can get in 30 days. I’m just going to drop the PCs at the dungeon door, let you start hacking, and see what happens.

PCs can begin gathering at the Warg and Wagon Tavern in the little town of Pitfield. When you decide that you have enough for a party, I’ll move you immediately to the dungeon at the base of Mount Stoneguard. New PCs will be allowed to join the party freely. I’ll just retcon them into the story as people the party had agreed to meet up with.

Last edited by Greg 1; 05-28-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
MisterJuan

Interested in participating in a little "survival horror" themed game? What I currently have in mind is part pure RP fun, part game mechanics experiments. The game's setting will revolve around the fictive town of "Hope Falls".

PC built hasn't yet been nailed down, but expect something between 50 to 75 points. Extra character points will be given for solid backgrounds, or anything writing material you might submit. PCs will be "regular people": with normal jobs, families, personal issues, etc...

Everything will be run through a googlegroup, and not here on the forums. If you're interested, have any questions, or whatever else, either drop me a PM!
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Dorin Thorha

University of Heroes

Recruitment Closed (unless somebody wants to GM another thread of the world.)

This is an experiment in optimising GURPS for PbP play. The game will consist of hopefully short, modular adventures such that the loss of players/GMs with so often plagues these games will be less of a problem. As a side effect, it will be possible for others to run their own threads of the adventure if the wish to.

Players are freshman students at UoH, built on 180/-50 points. Four majors are available:

Super:
Appears to be a normal human, at least to the casual observer, but has a block of points invested in one or more "super" powers. These powers are bought with a -10% discount.

Mad Skillz:

These characters have no exotic powers. They gain their awesomeness through extreme specialization, awesome gear, and high skill levels. Mad Skillz majors are allowed and encouraged to have specialized Talents, Techniques, and Gadgets.

Action Hero:

Action Heroes tend to be well-rounded, and often pack cinematic advantages. They are allowed to spend unused CP as Cinematic Points.

Exotica:

This is the Major for really weird chars. They are not humans at all, and their character is largely defined by their racial template. Mutants, robots, talking rabbits, etc. all go here. Exotica get no special bonuses, but they have the advantage of being able to use a racial template to bend and break the normal limits.

Last edited by Dorin Thorha; 05-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Dorin Thorha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Michael Thayne

GURPS StarDrive/On The Verge

Recruitment Closed

Looking for 4-6 players for a science fiction game based around a small cargo vessel and her crew--think Firefly, though in a somewhat different universe. Characters will be built on 150/-75 points, and can have any abilities that wouldn't be out of place in a world of mutants, cyborgs, and alien telepaths.

The specific universe is the StarDrive universe, originally created for the now-defunct Alternity system. The game will take place on the Verge, a region which humans have been exploring for close to two hundred years, but which is cut off from the stellar ring--the chunk of stars that Sol is a part of--by the starless expanse known as open space.

Much of the Verge is quite dangerous. Most of the nations of the stellar ring lost control of their Verge colonies in the second galactic war, leaving it to the locals to enforce law and order. The stellar nations haven't given up on the Verge, but their interest now mostly takes the form of schemes to regain what they lost. None of this has stopped immigration to the Verge though: Traders come hoping to strike it rich in the rhodium trade (and, if they're suicidal, running guns to the Algernon system, whose inhabitants haven't stopped fighting the last galactic war). Fugitives also come, including quite a few sesheyans trying to escape the subjugation their species suffers at the hands of VoidCorp. And of course, plenty of people come just looking to escape the overcrowding of better-settled worlds.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 05-24-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
quarkstomper

The Horatio Club 2

I'm starting up a new game based on the Horatio Club setting I ran about a year ago. It's a Dimension-Hopping campaign based in a trans-dimensional adventurers club, somewhat like the Old Phoenix Inn from Poul Anderson's A Midsummer's Tempest. I'm looking for about 4-6 players.

The game will not be using formal game mechanics, and so detailed character stats will not be necessary; just a description of who the character is and what he or she can do. Since this is a multi-dimensional setting, virtually any character type is possible, subject to GM's approval. See the OCC thread for more information.

EDIT: 6/1/2010: The game is now full. I will be starting the IC thread presently. Kibbitzers are welcome to read the IC thread and make comments on the OCC thread,

Last edited by quarkstomper; 06-01-2010 at 07:39 AM.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
reb

anybody what to get into a ad&d 3.5 game?

have a itch to scratch and want to run some something different.
break out those dusty d-20's...

have opened a OOC thread....

Last edited by reb; 05-28-2010 at 11:07 PM.
reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
Hastur

EDIT : Nevermind I am gonna try starting the game somewhere else, I'd rather have a group of players already familiar with gurps though.

I am considering running a game inspired by Dwarf Fortress. In that game a small group of individuals set off to a far away place and make a home for themselves, growing and industrialising untill they dig too deep, or cause jelousy intheir neighbors, or attract a dragon or what not. i think GURPS would do well in simulating that and I would like to try it out with some players/test subjects

I see the main exitement coming from running a different kind of game where the players are the ones digging out a fortress underground and guarding their works from the outside world. I would use time use sheets to advance the players and there would be lots of freedom but the problem i am worried about is how to get any roleplaying in without disrupting the low of time.

Also I am not very reliable, but i thought after i get everything started i could hand off the role of running the antagonists to someone else or even trade the job as it went on between players. I think the locations everyone has built together will grow like a plant and eventually i wont even be that neccessary.

Feel free to ask me questions, and I would want to start with 3 players.

Last edited by Hastur; 06-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Hastur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #18
Michael Cule

Finding myself at home with a bit of unexpected sick leave, I've decided to try to start an on-line ARS MAGICA game. (My regular groups not being the right sort of obsessives for this sort of thing.)

I'd like to run it in Stonehenge, probably at the canonical start point of 1220 although I've got an idea floating around in my head about setting a game during the Stephen and Matilda civil war.

Other issues, type of covenant, focus of game, I'd rather leave to players to decide. I've done a brief run with a Spring Covenant in the Cornish tin mines but there are lots of other possibilities.

I'd like to use various on-line tools including Google Wave, wikis and Skype/video conferencing to run bits of the campaign. I'd defer to the wishes and technical capabilities of the majority of interested people though.

Drop me a line if you're interested and I'll drop you a prospectus/questionaire.

And please give me any suggestions of where else I might advertise this.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
RogerBW

Default Desperate Housebots

Now running. New players can be accommodated, but not immediately.

Desperate Housebots will be a GURPS Action campaign set in the Reign of Steel universe - specifically in Miami, in the Washington Protectorate. (This being Action, it's Cinematic Miami - watching lots of Burn Notice and CSI: Miami through a Reign of Steel lens will give you the right idea, and the works of Carl Hiaasen are also an influence.) It will be played via posts on this forum.

A basic familiarity with the Reign of Steel setting is required; you don't need to own the book, but it will help. If you know what GRRL is and why it exists, that's probably sufficient.

Player characters will be Resistance fighters trying to live ordinary lives and avoid being reported as possible subversives - while also going out and sabotaging the Machine and its collaborators. Expect a mix of talking and fighting; you should be able to handle yourself at either. The style will be cinematic and the tone relatively light-hearted with occasional dark spots. Players will normally be expected to make their own die rolls in order to keep things moving quickly.

Characters will be built on 250 points and should follow one of the templates in Action 1 or 3, substituting TL9 for TL8 skills (with equipment to be determined later); you are required to take Secret (Resistance member; possible death) [-30] and should probably cut back on other Disadvantages to compensate. Female characters must take Social Stigma (Second-Class Citizen) [-5]. Hackers will use the rules in Pyramid3 #21. Luck will refresh at the GM's option, generally once or twice per "adventure".

You should have something usable as an occupational skill: everyone is employed, the vast majority of them in industrial teleoperation (anything from mining via manufacturing to aquaculture), and there are still human cops, reporters, restaurateurs, and such like. You may well want to be able to speak Spanish as well as English; Miami has seen a substantial influx of refugees from Zone Mexico City, including the Caribbean. Also consider which resistance group you are a member of: Free America (most likely), GRRL (usually but not exclusively female), or the Human Liberation Army (least likely but still possible).

Please contact me (PM or ideally email) with your character's name, background and template; don't get into intricacies of character design straight away. I'll go into a bit more detail on the campaign when I know what sort of characters people want to play.

Last edited by RogerBW; 08-17-2010 at 02:57 AM.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #20
Dragyn

Cyberpunk 2050

This game is currently full. If another spot opens up, I will re-edit this message. Thanks!

<><

Last edited by Dragyn; 08-16-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote