Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
ravenfish

Default Bug Report: Crash from Party Log Entry

Is anyone else encountering the issue where "Party --> Party Log Entry" (which previously wrote an entry to the campaign log of all open characters) crashes GCA with an error message beginning "Unhandled Exception Occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."?

My version is 5.0.197.0; the error occurs even with newly created characters, and occurs whether or not they have been saved as part of a party.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Bug Report: Crash from Party Log Entry

I'm trying it right now, and not seeing that at all.

Can you post a screen-shot of the error message you're seeing?
Old 09-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
ravenfish

I can't work out how to upload an image to this forum, but the text of the error is (text created by OCRing a screenshot and fixing obvious errors, so it may not be perfectly accurate):

Code:
Microsoft.VisualBasic

Unhandled Exception Occurred: Object reference not set to an instance
of an object.
Stack Trace:
at GCA5.frmPartyLog.NotSaved()
at GCA5.MiserSimpleRTFEditor.rtfBox_TextChanged(Object sender,
EventArgs e)
at System-Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
at
System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at
System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms,RichTextBox.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.W1ndows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32
msg, IntPtr wparam, Intptr Iparam)
If other people are not encountering this problem, I will try a reinstall at some point and see if that fixes things.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Hmm. Not sure why NotSaved is the last thing on that list.

Okay, I've adjusted initialization of one tracking element, in case there is some weirdness where some users (like you) have an issue while I do not. That's the only thing I can see in NotSaved that might possibly be an issue without being able to see it myself.

I've also adjusted the use of fonts in my RTF handling, so that it initializes using the Windows-returned default font, instead of a font I specified. If the issue was actually in the MiserSimpleRTFEditor, which was what I first assumed as being most likely, this would address the most likely issue there.

So, I put in two fixes, and hopefully at least one of them will catch what you're seeing, so that you don't see it any more. And hopefully without breaking anything else.

There are a couple other things that popped up over the weekend, so I'm hoping to post another quick bug-fix update soon.

Thanks for posting about this!

In future, if you're on the GURPS Discord, you can always post an image to the GCA channel over there, and point me at it from here.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

I'm hoping one of the fixes I included in the new 5.0.199 release addresses this issue!

If not, we'll have to do more investigation, because I addressed 'likely suspects' but never actually managed to reproduce the issue.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
ravenfish

Well, it works now. Thank you (and I'm glad that the obvious fixes worked, since it must be very annoying doing debugging when you can't even make the bug happen on your end).
Old 09-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Well, it works now. Thank you (and I'm glad that the obvious fixes worked, since it must be very annoying doing debugging when you can't even make the bug happen on your end).
It is indeed very annoying when that happens.

Thank you very much for letting me know that things are now working for you.