Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Blood Legend

Default Dice Roller

GCB had an awesome built in dice roller and it was hell handy. My cat can't run off with the dice neither. Can you guys make that Dice Roller stand-alone? It takes forever to load GCB just to have the dice. I'd really appreciate seeing it stand-alone. The ones out there that I've been searching for the past few hours either need the internet, spyware, money, [Edit] are ugly, stupid, confusing, slow, irritating, useless, buggy (you heard me, someone screwed up simple math!), etc, so yeah.

Would that be difficult? Maybe put it up as a free item on the Warehouse site? I really liked that old dice roller. :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to hunt some rogue dice down...blasted cat.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-05-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Taellosse

Default Re: Dice Roller

GCB was a special build of Alterego's Metacreator software. They own it, not SJ Games, so if you want it offered as a standalone program (which is something I, too, would love), you'll have to ask them. SJ Games, and Armin, can't do anything about it, unfortunately, except, possibly, to make a similar program from scratch.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Digganob

A simple die roller isn't really much to ask for. But it could probably be done as a standalone, freeware piece. I can't do it myself, but I have a friend who regularly throws together various VB processes, in MS Excel no less, just to simulate die rolls. And he's not what you'd call a "programmer" either. He learned basic VS commands while he was working as a software tester or something like that.

From what I understand it only takes two or three lines of code to get a d10 roll, and only a few more to get a sufficiently random roll of any other die.

There is a die roller in RedBlade (A free D&D character generator), it only rolls one die at a time though it does roll all the common die types (d2, d3, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d100, or d1000). However, I can't vouch for it's randomness. They may have used the crappy, biased method of electronic die rolling. I don't know enough to disect the code and find out.

Last edited by Digganob; 05-05-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Digganob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
GameBuddah

What would be greate is a built in dice roller in GCA where you can right click on a skill, ability, or stat, and it would roll that for you.

I'm still holding out hope for a GCA Compatible Combat Manager :)
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digganob
A simple die roller isn't really much to ask for. But it could probably be done as a standalone, freeware piece...There is a die roller in RedBlade (A free D&D character generator)...
There are bunches of free die rolling programs available online, and some are better than others. I've tried a number of them, though, and I don't like any as much as the one that was included in GCB/Metacreator. I keep that program installed on my laptop now for the sole purpose of having access to its dice roller, since I no longer play in any 3rd edition games. If someone out there with the knowledge and inclination were to create a program modeled after the one that's in Metacreator, I'm sure a lot of people would be most grateful. I don't particularly care if its in GCA, myself, though. (personally, I think some poeple's desire to turn GCA into a universal role-playing engine are a bit grandiose, especially considering the thing is being made by one guy during his free time, with the help of one or two other volunteers)

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Old 05-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Philomath

I went looking for my GCB disk so I could take a look at the die roller. I can't seem to find it though.

So . . . If someone were to post relevant screenshots and a list of the favored features that aren't obvious from the screenshots I'd be happy to throw together a little stand alone die roller.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath
I went looking for my GCB disk so I could take a look at the die roller. I can't seem to find it though.
Its not a stand alone program, its only loadable from within the main program. Once you've loaded GCB, click on the "Utilities" menu item along the top, and its right there.

EDIT: it occurs to me that what you meant was that you couldn't find the disc, not the dice roller. Sorry about that.

Quote:
So . . . If someone were to post relevant screenshots and a list of the favored features that aren't obvious from the screenshots I'd be happy to throw together a little stand alone die roller.
A 4 part screenshot. Top and bottom left show the results of pressing one of the preset buttons. On the right shows what happens when you make custom combos. It allows one to roll any combination of dice in any numbers, with any straight bonuses added in. This is especially convenient for handling things like weapon damage, which often has whole-number bonuses on top of variable dice rolls. It can even roll non-existent dice if needed, such as d2's, or d5's. The list in the middle saves prior custom dice roles, to be reused whenever one wants. I don't know if it removes older ones once the visible space fills up or whether it starts to scroll, but I've never needed to keep that many for that long anyway. The dropdown list at the top keeps track of the results of recent previous dice rolls for reference.

The above is the important stuff, but it's got some little details that make it nice as well, such as different graphics for each side of a standard d6, as well as graphics for all the other die types. Its got a sound that plays for 1, 2, 3, or more dice at once.

Personally, I don't much care about the bottom 2 preset buttons. "4dF" does this wierd plus and minus thing that I don't imagine to be useful for most game systems, and "d00" rolls a die that goes from 0-99, which again is probably unnecessary with the d100 at the top.

Does that work for you?

-Jeff Raskin
Old 05-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
litlfrog

A friend of mine wrote a good freeware dice program. It's available here: http://users.wildblue.net/hawthorn/prismdice/ .
Chief Jesuit in the Church of Firefly
"Without art, we're just baboons with car keys."
litlfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Philomath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taellosse
EDIT: it occurs to me that what you meant was that you couldn't find the disc, not the dice roller. Sorry about that.
Yeah, 'it' was the disk I couldn't find. I suppose I could have been a little more vague ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taellosse
Does that work for you?
Except for a few trivialities. First being what platform (Mac, Windows, *Nix) do you use? Second, what options do the 'Options' button present and do you care about any of that functionality?
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #10
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath
Yeah, 'it' was the disk I couldn't find. I suppose I could have been a little more vague ;D
Nah, your sentence was reasonably clear, but I was reading it after a long day, and watching television at the same time, so I failed to parse it effectively.

Quote:
Except for a few trivialities. First being what platform (Mac, Windows, *Nix) do you use? Second, what options do the 'Options' button present and do you care about any of that functionality?
I'm on Windows, personally. I'd love to be on Mac, but I'm a long way from being able to afford one just yet, and anyway, I want to wait until the Intel chips show up on the tower machines. But that's another conversation altogether.

As for the Options this screen shows the window pressing that brings up. I personally don't care much about being able to adjust most of those things, but I'm sure someone else out there would, and it doesn't look like any of them are too outlandish.

-Jeff Raskin