Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #21
Spencer

Default Re: Wreckers, Tow Trucks, and other recovery vehicles.

Very true, but I would assume that any raiders clever enough to start using rigs and wreckers to haul off their salvage would likely also be clever enough to have layered defenses with both anti-vehicular and anti-aircraft mounts. They might even use a fortified abandoned factory or something similar to disguise their chop shop.
I guess that it all depends on just how clever the players are: if they are running a team of duellists attempting to locate said chop shop, perhaps on contract for the 'Hood, then those defenses might just be comprehensive. If they are running the wrecker gang, how fast and how hard the 'Hood responds would depend on how effective they are at covering their tracks.
Not to mention that a Brotherhood punitive convoy rolling up on the gang in mid-salvage would be one heck of a battle.
"Bob knew that he was in trouble the instant that he lined up the sidecar rig in his sights and heard a 'click' when he pulled the trigger. Based on the sized of the dust cloud following that sidecar rig, it was big trouble, too."
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #22
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Not to mention that a Brotherhood punitive convoy rolling up on the gang in mid-salvage would be one heck of a battle.
D'ruther be talking about it than trying to run it :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #23
Spencer

It'd be a cast-iron one to run, that's for sure. XD

"4 tractor-trailers, six ten wheelers, a few dozen trikes and about a hundred cycles. I'm not sure that we have enough dice for this. I am sure that we don't have enough beer."
"Bob knew that he was in trouble the instant that he lined up the sidecar rig in his sights and heard a 'click' when he pulled the trigger. Based on the sized of the dust cloud following that sidecar rig, it was big trouble, too."
Old 04-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #24
juris

Easiest solution:

"Your cargo got lost, but we found it."

Quote:
Very true, but I would assume that any raiders clever enough to start using rigs and wreckers to haul off their salvage would likely also be clever enough to have layered defenses with both anti-vehicular and anti-aircraft mounts. They might even use a fortified abandoned factory or something similar to disguise their chop shop.
juris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:49 AM   #25
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Easiest solution:

"Your cargo got lost, but we found it."
A South African techie friend told me that they replaced the copper phone cables with fibre as early as they could, because copper theft had been a real problem. But it turns out that if you have 20km of stolen fibre in the back of your truck, there is at least one customer who would like 20km of fibre right now.

(Of course in more advanced cultures you can cut out the actual business of thievery and just explain to the owner that you could do this, you're a poor man with a family to feed, it would be a shame if you had to…)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:48 AM   #26
43Supporter

Quote:
It'd be a cast-iron one to run, that's for sure. XD

"4 tractor-trailers, six ten wheelers, a few dozen trikes and about a hundred cycles. I'm not sure that we have enough dice for this. I am sure that we don't have enough beer."
I've run the "Nightstrike" variant where O'Sea is at home.... >;)

Folks tend to forget: The Brotherhood *does* have an "intel branch" of sorts. If some enterprising group of criminals is running a "legit" business to cover the chop-shop... well, remember what happened to Freddy's Truck Stop in Waco when it was confirmed Freddy was using meat *long* past its use-by date [_RASG6_]. (One of my solitaire campaign's "side hustles" was "go places an 18-wheeler can't, and deal with the problems therein".) As to a permanent base: It's possible, but cursed-difficult -- read "Nightstrike" in _ADQ 1/2_, and "Grand Theft Autoduel" in _ADQ 3/1_, for details.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #27
swordtart

Nature always finds a way. There are no absolutes. The divergences are where the stories live.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #28
Spencer

Now, that's taking me back a bit...I used to own the hardcopy of ADQ1/1-1/4, and I remember Nightstrike.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #29
43Supporter

Quote:
Now, that's taking me back a bit...I used to own the hardcopy of ADQ1/1-1/4, and I remember Nightstrike.
Yeah -- I had to make up a lot of stuff in order to run my attack at the time; there wasn't anything like "rope", or "grappling hooks", or "suppressors". (This was for the "basic" scenario, BTW; the "attack when the gang is present" does justify proper duelcars -- hint: Rams. >;) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote