Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #11
FrackingBiscuit

Default Re: Hellfire RX 9 missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Plugging the values into GURPS Vehicles formula for KE missiles, the 180mm diameter without blades extended and the Hellfire's top speed of Mach 1.3 (995 mph) and not treating it as a Beehive round, gives 83,880d damage, treating it as a Beehive round reduces the damage to 20,970d.

With the blades extended (blades are given as increasing the diameter by 1 m), the damage is 549,880 d, or 147,645d as a Beehive round. Damage is impaling as a Beehive and crushing otherwise.

While these damage values are for 3e, the best response for use against a human target is "too great to bother rolling for, there isn't enough left for even resurrection to be an option."
Uh... I don't think that's right.

Dam = D * V * A * W

D is just diameter, so 180.
V is is (speed in yards/second)/800 = 500/800 = 0.625.
A is 1 for a solar warhead.
W requires some back-tracking. A "normal" sized 180mm warhead weighs ~47 lbs. The 20 lbs stated for this missile's payload would put it closest to "modest" in size, so W = 0.625.

Dam = 180 * 0.625 * 1 * 0.625 = 70.3125

Call it 70d. Definitely not in the tens-of-thousands range.
FrackingBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrackingBiscuit View Post
Uh... I don't think that's right.

Dam = D * V * A * W

D is just diameter, so 180.
V is is (speed in yards/second)/800 = 500/800 = 0.625.
A is 1 for a solar warhead.
W requires some back-tracking. A "normal" sized 180mm warhead weighs ~47 lbs. The 20 lbs stated for this missile's payload would put it closest to "modest" in size, so W = 0.625.

Dam = 180 * 0.625 * 1 * 0.625 = 70.3125

Call it 70d. Definitely not in the tens-of-thousands range.
My damage calculation was incorrect, but the formula you're using is also incorrect (for Vehicles, 2nd Ed). The formula for damage done by a KE warhead missile is given on p. VE118 and is

DAM= D x V x A.

There is no W component, but I did miss the 800 divisor, so the values for the formula are:

D is 180 (mm) without the blades extended, or 2180 (mm) with the blades extended; the individual blades adding 1 m or 1000 mm to the warhead's radius.

V = (Mach 1.3 = 995 mph or) 486/800 yards/sec = 0.5625

A = 1, or 0.25 if Beehive.

Damage is 101.25 dice with blades unextended or 1226.25 dice with the blades extended, approximated as 6d x 17 and 6d x 204 respectively.

If it behaves as a beehive round, then the damage becomes 25.3125 or 306.5625 respectively, or approximately 6d x 4 and 6d x 51.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #13
FrackingBiscuit

Quote:
My damage calculation was incorrect, but the formula you're using is also incorrect (for Vehicles, 2nd Ed). The formula for damage done by a KE warhead missile is given on p. VE118 and is

DAM= D x V x A.

There is no W component
I'm reading straight from my PDF, which has a W variable for warhead size.
FrackingBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #14
Rupert

Quote:

DAM= D x V x A.

There is no W component, but I did miss the 800 divisor, so the values for the formula are:

D is 180 (mm) without the blades extended, or 2180 (mm) with the blades extended; the individual blades adding 1 m or 1000 mm to the warhead's radius.
A few blades extended like this do not really increase the radius of the warhead and should not be included in the calculation like this. Really all they're doing is changing the damage from crushing (3e) or huge piercing (4e) to cutting, with a special effect (due to their size) of being able to completely dismember targets up to something like SM+2 or so.

Also, using VE2 damage formulas for 4e is pretty questionable. The 4e collision formula would be more reasonable (though I'd not be halving damage for it being cutting - that seems a poor rule to me).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:09 AM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well I was considering the potential of such a weapon for neutralizing thousand point supers.
Just a Kilo or Lima Hellfire might be useful there (also the Romeo if you are worried about collateral, but not as much as you need to be for the ginsu).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #16
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

I have an article in the latest Pyramid Scheme for drones and drone strikes, with laser-guided bombs and Hellfires, including the Hellfire in ninja mode.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote