Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #1
Plane

Default how would you GM something like a "shapeshifters impersonating the PCs" situation?

For example like the "Migoi" in the Sanctuary TV series episodes "Kush" and "Icebreaker".

Basically each PC knows "I'm not a shapeshifter" but they don't know if who they're interacting with is another PC or a shapeshifter.

This type of thing seems easier if it's just shapeshifters impersonating NPCs since the GM roleplays whoever you interact with.

There is a clear appeal-to-metagaming problem when it comes to impersonating other PCs though because (especially with in-person gamine) you know whether the player or GM are speaking.

In situations like this, would it make sense for the GM to request the player to not just play their own character, but also their shapeshifter NPC doppleganger, so that other PCs can't figure out who is who?

The PC shouldn't really be able to control the NPC's actions totally though, so the GM should probably tell them roughly what to do, and be passing notes and stuff.

I would think that might be easier w/ online gaming since the timing/frequency of note-passing might give away which version is the NPC impersonator in IRL games.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
thrash

Default Re: how would you GM something like a "shapeshifters impersonating the PCs" situation

I had a group of player-characters who came across a ship where all the crew had been murdered. As they explored, I rolled randomly for one of them to become possessed by one of the lingering, vengeful spirits.

The random choice was a first-time roleplayer. I passed her a note that basically just told her, "you're possessed." She totally ran with it and did an awesome job. It was one of the more memorable bits in the entire campaign.

I would do something similar here: pass the player a note that says, "your character is out of action and you are now the shapeshifter that has taken his/her place" and trust the player to act accordingly. If need be, share a bit about the shapeshifters' goals or motivations, especially if they weren't clear to the players before.

If your players are the suspicious types, share a few trivial perceptions ("you see that the door was left unlatched") with each of the players by note over the course of a few scenes to cover up which one is actually the shapeshifter.

Last edited by thrash; 01-23-2022 at 11:27 AM.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
Frost

Default Re: how would you GM something like a "shapeshifters impersonating the PCs" situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
For example like the "Migoi" in the Sanctuary TV series episodes "Kush" and "Icebreaker".

Basically each PC knows "I'm not a shapeshifter" but they don't know if who they're interacting with is another PC or a shapeshifter.

This type of thing seems easier if it's just shapeshifters impersonating NPCs since the GM roleplays whoever you interact with.

There is a clear appeal-to-metagaming problem when it comes to impersonating other PCs though because (especially with in-person gamine) you know whether the player or GM are speaking.

In situations like this, would it make sense for the GM to request the player to not just play their own character, but also their shapeshifter NPC doppleganger, so that other PCs can't figure out who is who?

The PC shouldn't really be able to control the NPC's actions totally though, so the GM should probably tell them roughly what to do, and be passing notes and stuff.

I would think that might be easier w/ online gaming since the timing/frequency of note-passing might give away which version is the NPC impersonator in IRL games.
The only time I have tried to do something like this I ended up taking advantage of a break in the game to pass the player a very long note (roughly detailing what the imposter knew and what their goal was) and then trusted the player to do her part.

The effects were quite good, despite being detected she actually achieved her goals causing a whole new adventure. But I feel that I was lucky that I had a player who wouldn't use metagame knowledge and was sufficiently devious to stuff the other players over on the spur of the moment.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
Varyon

A lot will depend on what the shapeshifter is doing - if they're only doing nefarious things "off screen," you could actually leave the player who is controlling the replaced character completely in the dark, particularly if the shapeshifter is a perfect impersonator. If the shapeshifter needs to do nefarious stuff "on screen," concealing it as though it were normal behavior, that's generally going to require the player to be in the know.

Of course, a lot also depends on your players. For some players, they can sufficiently divorce player-knowledge and character-knowledge such that you could literally game out Alex Mercer murdering, absorbing, and shapeshifting into the unfortunate PC in front of all the players, and when he shows back up amongst the party, they'll have their characters behave as though it's still their friend. Others? Not so much.

If I wanted to do a "shapeshifter replaces one of the PC's" plot (and honestly, I don't think I'd want to), I'd probably let the players know ahead of time that that's a thing that may happen, then probably at the end of the first session (of that story arc) I'd have the PC's split up. After that, I'd arrange one-on-one sessions with each player to game out what they do when they're separated - and for at least one of them, part of that would be an encounter that could result in the character's death or capture, in a manner that would allow the shapeshifter to take their place. If any fail, those would be the ones I could have play as the shapeshifter in the next session (possibly the next several sessions, depending on how long the plot goes). If they all succeed, then if the shapeshifter didn't get captured/killed during one of the solo sessions, I'd have it take the place of an NPC (probably with more hints than they'd get with it taking the place of a PC, as a reward for nobody getting killed/captured).
Old 01-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #5
RyanW

One thought I had once upon a time (to be used only with a group I knew could handle it appropriately) is one character is an imposter, and all the characters except that one know it. He's a clone/robot/etc. that has the character's memories, but it's important for some reason that he not realize he is not the original.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:13 AM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If I wanted to do a "shapeshifter replaces one of the PC's" plot (and honestly, I don't think I'd want to), I'd probably let the players know ahead of time that that's a thing that may happen, then probably at the end of the first session (of that story arc) I'd have the PC's split up. After that, I'd arrange one-on-one sessions with each player to game out what they do when they're separated - and for at least one of them, part of that would be an encounter that could result in the character's death or capture, in a manner that would allow the shapeshifter to take their place.
Another idea is instead of the shapeshifter replacing, it just shows up and you have those "which one do I shoot" moments where to avoid metagame, the PC has to game both their PC and the shapeshifter, while at the same time being guided by the GM.

Or I guess the GM could play both but ideally you want hte player to control their own PC.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:48 AM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
I would do something similar here: pass the player a note that says, "your character is out of action and you are now the shapeshifter that has taken his/her place" and trust the player to act accordingly. If need be, share a bit about the shapeshifters' goals or motivations, especially if they weren't clear to the players before.
To assuage suspicions, hand everyone a note with different directions, only one of which is for the shapeshifter. For extra fun, randomize the notes so that even you don't know who the shapeshifter is.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 01-24-2022 at 02:31 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:51 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
One thought I had once upon a time (to be used only with a group I knew could handle it appropriately) is one character is an imposter, and all the characters except that one know it. He's a clone/robot/etc. that has the character's memories, but it's important for some reason that he not realize he is not the original.
There's an episode of Deep Space 9 "Whispers" where that happens to Miles O'Brien. Most of the episode is shot from the perspective of the imposter, so that the audience isn't let in on the situation until near the end. Would make a good watch for anyone thinking of running this kind of scenario.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 01-26-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:44 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
To asuage suspicions, hand everyone a note with different directions, only one of which is for the shapeshifter. For extra fun, randomize the notes so that even you don't know who the shapeshifter is.
That's brilliant. I'mma write a blog post about this. What a insanely great idea.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:41 AM   #10
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
To assuage suspicions, hand everyone a note with different directions, only one of which is for the shapeshifter. For extra fun, randomize the notes so that even you don't know who the shapeshifter is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
That's brilliant. I'mma write a blog post about this. What a insanely great idea.
Thinking about this a little more, keeping up the secrecy and suspense will require passing secret notes back and forth between the player and GM. The easiest way I can think of to do this is for, at various points in the game, hand everyone a note card, telling everybody to write a note to the GM. On the back of the card, simply write numbers 1 to X; the players should know their number but the GM should make a conscious effort not to. Simply look at the front of the notes, respond as needed, then hand them back to the players face down. The players pick their note out of the pile, and hopefully the GM doesn't connect the player to the note. Even if you do, at least you tried, but keeping the secrecy for a while could be fun. There may be better ways to do this, but honestly this could make for a really fun game with the right group.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
clone, doppleganger, metagaming, npcs, shapeshifting