Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-31-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
David Johansen

Default DF Anecdote

As it happened we dug up some old characters and ran a bit of a Dungeon Fantasy one shot the other night.

They wanted to fight a dragon so the three player characters started in the dungeon just outside a dragon's lair. The thief snuck ahead and swiped some treasure and a dreadful, skeletal form rose from the heaps of gold. The thief ran back to the rest of the party who were lurking around a corner down the hall. The skeleton gave chase and was ambushed by the cleric from around the corner but he managed to roll a 17 to automatically miss. But, you see, the dragon's horde was that of an ancient barbarian king and the 'skeleton' was a Drauger with a 22 Strength, 16 in shield, broadsword, and wearing DR 6 armour. And it does 4d+2 damage on a swing. After a couple rounds of tense combat in which the figher got dropped and healed back to one hit point the thief threw the money at the thing and they ran, the Drauger did not pursue, electing to recover it's treasure. As they fled, they heard the dragon laughing behind them, "If you had come in boldly, and not skulking like thieves, I could have warned you about that."

Really, that was a bit dirty of me, it should have been a normal skeleton or two, they're bloody tough in DFrpg as it is.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:01 PM   #2
sjmdw45

Default Re: DF Anecdote

Honestly a single Draug seems perfectly fine to me, not dirty in any way. Unlucky dice can hurt anyone.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:20 PM   #3
Balor Patch

Peter's Felltower campaign had a room with 33 draugr. It took multiple attempts but they eventually went down.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:04 PM   #4
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Peter's Felltower campaign had a room with 33 draugr. It took multiple attempts but they eventually went down.
Wow, that sounds awesome in a Bards Tale kind of way. What a cool campaign!
Old 01-02-2023, 08:58 AM   #5
David Johansen

Really, I think they could have taken it but they didn't. Also, the roommate situation wasn't a friendly one. It's the Draug's burial treasure but the dragon isn't going anywhere with it. If the PCs had just fought the dragon the draug would have just sat back and laughed until they tried to leave with the treasure.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
David Johansen

Well, they went for a rematch last night. They were approaching down the corridor with caution but the dragon spotted them and gave a deep Jabba the Hutt chuckle. Then he picked up a single coin and flicked it out into the hallway. The Draug rose from his resting place and lurched into the corridor. The Insect Man Warrior chose to evaluate and the Draug stepped in swinging, managing to drop the warrior with a single blow and a bad dodge roll. The Cat Folk Scout tried stabbing at the Draug's face while the Human Cleric repeatedly failled to heal the Warrior. Eventually the Warrior did get back in the fight and attacked the Draug's ankles. It went after the cleric but failed to get through his shield. By then the Warrior got to his feet and managed to strike the Draug's head off with a single blow to the neck (well and it was fully negative hp by then). It kept fighting, albiet awkwardly because its head was lying on the floor so the scout scooped it up but the Draug tackled her. So the head was desperately lobbed down the corridor. "I haven't been down this way in years," it hissed. The Warrior then drove his blade deep into the neck socket of its armour and the whole thing fell apart.

The Dragon had moved to the entrance of the treasure chamber and blew fire from its nostrils. After a futile offer to take payment for services rendered the dragon blew fire down the corridor at them but they managed to flee and escape the deadly blast.

So yes, they could take the Draug, though that lucky neck swing for maximum damage by the warrior really finished things up. Also, things bogged down pretty hard when I needed the posture table and couldn't find it. It's at the back of the book with the charts just like Basic Set Campaigns if you ever need to know.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
By then the Warrior got to his feet and managed to strike the Draug's head off with a single blow to the neck (well and it was fully negative hp by then). It kept fighting, albiet awkwardly because its head was lying on the floor so the scout scooped it up but the Draug tackled her. So the head was desperately lobbed down the corridor. "I haven't been down this way in years," it hissed. The Warrior then drove his blade deep into the neck socket of its armour and the whole thing fell apart.
Did you give this super-Draug extra traits like Supernatural Durability? Normally a Draug without a head would just be dead.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:11 PM   #8
David Johansen

Nah, at that point it was just funny. They're now wandering around with a talking head on a stick.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #9
sjmdw45

Quote:
Nah, at that point it was just funny. They're now wandering around with a talking head on a stick.
I was wondering if maybe you used super-Draugr habitually, which would also have explained your "Really, that was a bit dirty of me" comment in the OP. But I guess not.

Fun story, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:34 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
The Insect Man Warrior chose to evaluate and the Draug stepped in swinging, managing to drop the warrior with a single blow and a bad dodge roll.
Did the Insect Man have a specific reason for doing that? Generally, making your opponent defend from the start of a fight is more productive.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote