Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #551
lachimba

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

That is what I would think too except maybe Brad is a witch.

Last edited by lachimba; 03-05-2011 at 05:50 PM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #552
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
All in all, MH1 alone will support (but not require!!!) any of the following. (And this isn't exactly telling tales out of school -- the Introduction has a Recommended Books section that says all this and more.)

GURPS Action 1 (Heroes) and 3 (Furious Fists)
GURPS High-Tech
GURPS Horror
GURPS Powers: Divine Favor
GURPS Gun Fu
GURPS Loadouts: Monster Hunters
GURPS Psionic Powers
GURPS Psis
GURPS Thaumatology
OK, so Magic is not recommended? Does that mean the magic system is built using Thaumatology only? Powers is also not listed. Action 3 is listed but Martial Arts is not. I hadn't noticed this before.

Interesting.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #553
griffin

[QUOTE=lachimba;1133416][QUOTE=Dragondog;1133357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post

I would guess that Brad is a Sage, Everett is an Experiment, Danielle is a Crusader.

That is what I would think too except maybe Brad is a witch.
Why is Danielle a Crusader? I think Brad is a Sage too and Everett certainly must be an Experiment, although it's remotely possible for him to be Inhuman.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #554
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout
Still, I am wondering just what the great P. Kitty did with Wildcard skills to enhance their utility.
Enhance? They are already incredibly flexible. Monster Hunters just seems like it has enough points to play around with to make !skills de rigueur, like they would have been in Balck Ops.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #555
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Since everyone is speculating on the magic chapter, here's the vignette from Chapter 3 of Monster Hunters 1: Champions. (And since it technically includes an axe, it fulfills two requests! Well, kinda . . .)
“How close are you?”

Brad ignored her and continued to breathe and concentrate, the energy around and within him slowly taking shape. As he sat in his makeshift spirit-circle, he willed the light to flee from his body, the sound to hide from his footsteps, and his scent to gather at the small of his back, unable to escape.

“We have time, Danielle. The zombies don’t know we’re here. Let him do his thing.”

The forces were now bound to his will. With a mental push, he expanded the circle of energy, encompassing his teammates. His gift was their gift. They shall not be seen. The energy pulsed through his mind and was gone.

“Holy . . . did you do that?” Scott asked.

Brad stood up. “Yeah, it’s a cloaking spell. We’re not invisible or anything, but zombies are pretty stupid – this should give us the upper hand, if we’re careful.”

The team moved quickly into the sewer, taking care to avoid splashing and to stay in the dark. Zombie after zombie fell, to blade and silenced bullet, as the champions quietly cleared the tunnels. Then it happened – bad luck. A piece of walkway crumbled, plunging Scott and Danielle into the water. Up ahead, two zombies turned and raced toward the remaining members.

Everett readied his axe and charged into the first undead horror, cleaving it in two, but the second zombie managed to leap past him. Scott pulled his pistol out of the water, but before he could shoot, Brad grabbed a pendant around his neck and smashed it against the wall. The creature stopped and staggered, then dropped to the ground as flames erupted from its mouth and eyes.

Everyone caught their breath. Everett turned and quirked an eyebrow. “I thought you said magic took a while,”

“Usually, yeah. But sometimes you’ve, um . . . gotta give yourself some shortcuts.”
Quote:
In retrospect, the stench made sense. Demons embody the worst qualities of life, so a pack of demonic boars would be angry, stubborn, mindless . . . and unbelievably foul. At least it had made them easy to track to this abandoned building. Everett tried not to dwell on it as he yanked his axe out of the porcine corpse and turned to cover Danielle’s flank. With a fetish in one hand and sword in the other, she was screaming some demand of Chango. He didn’t catch the specifics, but assumed that it worked when the Hellboar began smoking and squealing.

Everett barely heard the hoofsteps over the noise. His infrared-adapted eyes easily picked up the creature, scrambling across the far side of the room towards the large boarded-up window. “One got away from Scott!” he yelled, “I'm going after it – see if he’s okay!” Not waiting for an acknowledgment, he triggered his adrenaline gland, willing energy to his legs as he ran. The room blurred by as he made it to the window a moment too late – almost close enough to touch the thing as it crashed through the boards.

Drawing his knife as he fell, Everett managed to land on the monstrous swine – cursing gravity as he felt his ankle crack against the sidewalk. Before the prey could recover, he opened up its throat, then shifted to pin it to the ground as it bled out.

A human scream grabbed the champion’s attention. Everett looked up into the face of a teenage girl as she ran over from across the street. “Oh my god!” she exclaimed, “What’s going on? Should I call 911?” She was staring in horror at the beast’s razor-sharp tusks.

“It’s . . . an advanced case of rabies, ma’am,” Everett explained, bearing down on the struggling creature as casually as possible, “It’s infected a few local dogs, but we have it under control. You are vaccinated, right?”

The teenager’s protests of, “ . . . couldn’t pay me enough to be a dogcatcher . . .” were barely audible as she ran from the scene. Even with his broken ankle, Everett couldn’t help grinning.
Quote:

Why is Danielle a Crusader? I think Brad is a Sage too and Everett certainly must be an Experiment, although it's remotely possible for him to be Inhuman.
At first it was the fetish and then her demand of Chango and the effect it had solidified it for me.

I agree that Everett could be Inhuman, but Experiment seemed to fit better.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #556
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
OK, so Magic is not recommended? Does that mean the magic system is built using Thaumatology only? Powers is also not listed. Action 3 is listed but Martial Arts is not. I hadn't noticed this before.

Interesting.
But Powers: Divine Favors and Psionic Powers are on that list.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #557
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
But Powers: Divine Favors and Psionic Powers are on that list.
GURPS Powers isn't needed to use Divine Favors and Powers isn't needed to use Psionic Powers either. The products according to the description are self contained (this is according to the website page for each). In each case Powers is not required but recommended.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #558
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Enhance? They are already incredibly flexible. Monster Hunters just seems like it has enough points to play around with to make !skills de rigueur, like they would have been in Balck Ops.
Many people complain that Wildcard skills aren't worth the cost compaired with simply setting one skill very high and defaulting other skills from it. I think there was a post by Kromm indicating the Wildcard have a cinematic slant whereas just using standard skill assumes you get all the real-world modifiers and assumptions that go along with them. I don't recall where the post is. but it should be someplace on the GURPS forum.

I think "enhance" has to do with making the Wildcard skills worth the high point cost.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #559
Icelander

Quote:
Many people complain that Wildcard skills aren't worth the cost compaired with simply setting one skill very high and defaulting other skills from it. I think there was a post by Kromm indicating the Wildcard have a cinematic slant whereas just using standard skill assumes you get all the real-world modifiers and assumptions that go along with them. I don't recall where the post is. but it should be someplace on the GURPS forum.

I think "enhance" has to do with making the Wildcard skills worth the high point cost.
A very good example is a Wildcard Skill like Sword! compared to setting Broadsword skill very high and possibly spending a point or two on the other sword skills to ensure that you can default from them as well.

A DX 15 character can spend 84 points on Sword! 20 or he can spend 65 points on Broadsword 30, Shortsword 29, Two-Handed Sword 26, Jitte/Sai 26, Rapier/Saber 27, Smallsword 26, Knife 25, Main-Gauche 24 and Force Sword 27. Sure, he doesn't have Fast-Draw or Acrobatics and Jumping in combat, but Fast-Draw higher than 16 is usually a waste of points anyway and he has 19 points to spread around these skills. Even though the one with Sword! can perform all techniques at level 20, no technique has a higher than -6 penalty anyway, meaning that the character who defaults will have a better skill level in all techniques with anything except Smallsword, Knife and Main-Gauche. If this is a problem, he could raise those skills or techniques with some of his 19 points. Also, note that skill 30 vs. skill 20 with their highest skill means that in a duel, the character with Sword! has about as much chance as a child facing a normal adult.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-06-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #560
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin

*shrug* You don't have to buy 'em if you can come up with a better way to spend your points. It's possible to make inefficient builds based on a Wildcard skill, but the clever player can really have some optimization fun with them. Especially when they include skills with a lot of (required) specializations.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters