Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Phoenix Option: Jump Table and Super-Effort?

So I recently made a character based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and since Buffy has been shown able to wield steel girders as weapons, open a portcullis that a whole group of people couldn't, and even wield one-handed Olaf's two-handed battle hammer that Spike couldn't even lift, the best way to do this was ST with Super-Effort, so she has 18/60 ST. However, the Jump table, while it has the option to use the ST/4 rule, it's using the 18 and not the 60. So, it would be cool if there was an option to show both or else only the super-effort, as the basic non-ST/4 rules jump is already shown up top in the basic blocks.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
tmedwards

Default Re: Phoenix Option: Jump Table and Super-Effort?

Is that RAW? (I'm not sure where my books are at the moment or I'd try to look it up.)

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Yea sort of, it's an optional rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campaigns pg. 352
Basic Move is a ready-made measure of jumping ability – after all, it
measures running speed, and running is just a series of rapid hops.
However, unnaturally strong supers and monsters in fiction can often
make mighty leaps without being speedsters. To emulate this, the GM
may allow those with Basic Lift in excess of body weight to use the high-
er of ST/4 (round down) or Basic Move in the jumping distance formulas
So, while the option is there to use ST, it doesn't show with the extra ST if you are using it.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
tmedwards

I know that optional rule—its why the ST/4 option is there. I was referring, specifically, to using Super-Effort ST in place of base ST for the rule's purposes.

Extra ST, and any other traits which give direct bonuses to ST, are already figured in. Super-Effort ST is a different beast.

It makes sense to me that it would be allowed, but, IIRC, there are cases where GURPS specifically disallows extended traits like that from being used in place of their base versions. It's been too long since I was really able to play and I don't have my books handy, so I'm not in a position to know at the moment.

It doesn't matter either way as far as adding the feature goes. It's not a big deal, so I'm perfectly happy to do it. I just need to know if it needs to be hidden behind a scary warning.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Ragabash Moon

Oh yea I don't know of any case of it being disallowed, though that's why I suggested showing both, as Super-Effort wouldn't be used all the time, but it could be. To me if you are able to jump high with 60 ST then you should logically be able to do so also with 18/60 ST, assuming you are using your Super-Effort for the jump. :D

So yea I'd give it the same "OPTIONAL check with GM first" warning that other traits like that have. :)

Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #6
tmedwards

Apologies for the delay. I just haven't had the time to finish this up and cut a new release.

I'll make an effort to get it done soonish.

Tags
phoenix sheet, strength, super effort