Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #21
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Clarification: Talent Skill Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think the actual unbalanced case is the 5 point talent in two or more weapons in *functionally different* categories.
Broadly speaking there are five functionally different types of combat/weapon skills: Unarmed Striking, Unarmed Grappling, Primary Melee Weapon, Off-Hand Weapon/Shield, and Ranged. And you're right, things get particularly broken when you have skills from two or three of those categories covered under the same talent.

In fact, many of the skills from each category have generous defaults to one another, making taking one skill from the heart of a cluster of skills effectively a "talent" for all the skills that default from it. The most obvious of these is Guns skill specialties, which almost all default to one-another at -2 to -4, meaning that taking one Guns skill at an extremely high skill level is enough to bump up all of the other Guns skills.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-31-2018 at 04:07 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Broadly speaking there are five functionally different types of combat/weapon skills: Unarmed Striking, Unarmed Grappling, Primary Melee Weapon, Off-Hand Weapon/Shield, and Ranged. And you're right, things get particularly broken when you have skills from two or three of those categories covered under the same talent.

Yep, this is the heart of things. I disagree slightly with off-hand weapon/ Shield, but I can see exactly where it comes from.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yep, this is the heart of things. I disagree slightly with off-hand weapon/ Shield, but I can see exactly where it comes from.
Not every character will have a different Off-hand Weapon/Shield; some will use a Two-Handed weapon while others will use a pair of swords and a few others will keep their off-hand free for grappling or punching. However, when a different skill is used off-hand it is effectively a different class of weapon skill (mainly Shield or Main-Gauche skills) because that skill is almost never used as a primary weapon and is instead always paired with another primary weapon skill.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
talents