Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2024, 05:18 PM   #151
Astromancer

Default Re: Stating Jessica Fletcher

Could we get back to the question of rather or not Jessica could have the Common Sense. She's often placed in the "only sane Woman role." Many stories work comedy out of everybody except Jessica going off the deep end.

This isn't typical of the detective genre. It is very much something Jessica deals with regularly.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 08:12 PM   #152
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Could we get back to the question of rather or not Jessica could have the Common Sense. She's often placed in the "only sane Woman role." Many stories work comedy out of everybody except Jessica going off the deep end.

This isn't typical of the detective genre. It is very much something Jessica deals with regularly.
Common Sense isn't seen that often among PCs but for an NPC who's supposed to have unusually good judgment it's possible. I remebr a 3e discussion about whether or not it should have been on the write-up for Elizabeth I.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #153
ravenfish

Does common sense even do anything for an NPC? The game effect is that, when a player makes a choice that the GM can tell would be obviously stupid, the GM will give a warning and a chance for a take-back on a successful IQ roll. Apart from the fact that many GMs will give this benefit to everyone for free (both because apparently "stupid" choices by the player are often actually because the scene or context haven't been adequately described, and because avoiding actively stupid choices by one player generally improves the experience for everyone at the table), I don't see how this will have any effect when the person making choices for the character is the GM.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #154
kenclary

Quote:
Sounds less like she has GURPS Common Sense and more like she is a PC surrounded by NPCs.
kenclary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #155
Curmudgeon

Quote:

I don't know that I would say it isn't typical of the detective genre. It's not typical of the "hard-boiled" school of detective fiction, but there are detectives in the detective genre who do have Common Sense, for example Hildegarde Withers (played by Edna May Oliver and others) definitely was a saner voice than her inspector friend. I would at least think of putting Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple in that category along with Mrs. Jefferies, and, of course, Perry Mason.

Perry Mason? Common Sense? In the same sentence? Well, yes. Perry does take extremely risky that could end badly for him, which suggests that he lacks Common Sense. The thing is, in the novels, he's well aware that what he's doing is risky and can end very badly for him, but he does it anyway. Having Common Sense doesn't mean the character will take the good sense advice to heart, just that he now knows that what he's planning to do is a bad idea.

But, coming back to Jessica, yes, she may well have Common Sense as a PC. But as an NPC, she would be played by the GM. So, does she need Common Sense to benefit from the GM seeing that she's about to do something "stupid" and be advised against it by him?

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Yesterday at 09:30 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #156
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish;2528687, I don't see how this will have any effect when the person making choices for the character [I
is[/I] the GM.
GMs "should" be making npcs do stupid things when it is in character for them to do so. Common Sese would be the marker for the trait of not doing stupid things.
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #157
Astromancer

Miss Marple might have Common Sense, but I doubt Tommy and Tuppence do. Watson is supposed to have Common Sense in contrast to Holmes. One of Raymond Chandler's key points is Phillip Marlow's lack of Common Sense. And Philo Vance really did need a kick in the pants. Mainly because he lacked Common Sense. So Jessica is not typical of all detective fiction.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #158
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
Independent Income, to reflect a combination of her (and her husband's) retirement income, plus her earnings and royalties from her writing.

Not to mention just being in the general vicinity of a murder every week or so!
That is why they moved her to New York for half a season in the later years of the show.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; Today at 06:38 AM.
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #159
pawsplay

I'm going to say no to Common Sense. Sometimes she just argues with people when she should use her Diplomacy skill.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crime, honesty, investigation, law