Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Map Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
Ghostdancer mentioned Dundjinni. While I haven't used that software I have heard good things about it.
I have it. I'm not overly pleased. It has AFAICT an arbitrary size limit on maps (unless I'm missing something) and it doesn't really scale to GURPS 1hex=1yd.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
Kage2020

Ah, fair enough. I was going on hearsay anyway and was not aware of any further issues. As noted previously I'm perfectly happy with the Astrosynthesis and Fractal Mapper combination and will, following Ghostdancer, be looking towards the Dundjinni more for the downloadable tiles/images.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
With regards to the usability of Fractal Mapper, I recall the last time that I produced a map was in traditional male fashion (sans instruction manual) and it didn't look half bad. On the other hand, if Mr Pulver has reached that (ever personal and individual) age whereby he needs a five year old to show him how to operate the DVR... ;)
Kage
I tend to be a "read the manual" kind of guy. That's why I wanted to make sure it HAD a manual worth reading ...
Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
David, I don't have FM loaded at the moment, & I can't seem to locate the box, but ghostdancer has it right - using the tutorial, as well as the Help files, will help you get started quickly.

Then, as with all things computer, you simply need to use it.

Both FM & CC are similar in that you need to figure out just what you're going after in your particular map - a neighborhood, a city, a state, a country or a continent.
r.
Thanks for the information and tips!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I tend to be a "read the manual" kind of guy. That's why I wanted to make sure it HAD a manual worth reading ...
As a friend says, "Fairy snuff."

On the other hand, think of the 5 year-olds that you're going to put out of business. ;)
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I don't know Jurgen, the few times I've toyed with Inkscape have been...well masochistic. Inkscape is IMHO *not* user friendly, and you don't want it going HAL-9000 and telling Dave he can't do that.
I find it very user friendly myself. It's certainly no worse than any comparable program like Corel Draw, Xara X, or Adobe Photoshop. Now, the entire vector graphics paradigm is difficult for some people to grasp compared to raster graphics but that's completely different, and that initial bit of difficulty, if it's there at all, is certainly worth it if you want to do anything involving maps.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #27
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
I find it very user friendly myself. It's certainly no worse than any comparable program like Corel Draw, Xara X, or Adobe Photoshop. Now, the entire vector graphics paradigm is difficult for some people to grasp compared to raster graphics but that's completely different, and that initial bit of difficulty, if it's there at all, is certainly worth it if you want to do anything involving maps.
Yeah well you just named the other three horsemen (in my book of course), I much prefer FM to about anything else, and I've tried a good portion of whats out there.

(IMHO of course)

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #28
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well, I like Inkscape to build the shapes, and GIMP to add the chrome. That's what I used in my Beneath Castle Everglory maps. Now, the learning curve can be a little steep, but IMHO not as much as CC.

(Inkscape has an initially user hostile GUI, but once you get the hang of it, you get why some of the decisions were made. This is what my Inkscape looks like when I open it http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5877937/Inkscape.png

Of course, there's no manual, and documentation isn't easy to get, but it's free. It's an extremely powerful program, and even allows importing PDF pages.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #29
Fnugus

Personally I prefer Adobe Illustrator (along with Adobe Photoshop) when creating most maps, the exception being city maps which is ridiculously easy with Campaign Cartographers City Designer add-on. I think that the Adobe programs are more powerful than Inkscape, but the major drawback is the price. I believe the learning is more or less the same for both the Adobe programs and the Inkscape.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #30
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus View Post
Personally I prefer Adobe Illustrator (along with Adobe Photoshop) when creating most maps, the exception being city maps which is ridiculously easy with Campaign Cartographers City Designer add-on. I think that the Adobe programs are more powerful than Inkscape, but the major drawback is the price. I believe the learning is more or less the same for both the Adobe programs and the Inkscape.
No discussion there. Inkscape is an Illustrator replacement, and GIMP a Photoshop replacement. They're not as good as the programs they try to imitate, but then again, in a Linux desktop, I could not install Adobe's programs even if I wanted to pay for them (and for the use I would give them, they're WAY over my price point)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
map, maps