Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2022, 02:13 PM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
The average of the numbers offered is 1989.3, repeating; so, rounding down to 1989. Is that generally acceptable?
Looking at the reasoning people gave...

We want an election year that maximizes either computers or Russians, and is close to Brezhnev's death. I'd say that means late 1980. I think everyone who voted will be more happy with 1980 than with 1989.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #82
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Looking at the reasoning people gave...

We want an election year that maximizes either computers or Russians, and is close to Brezhnev's death. I'd say that means late 1980. I think everyone who voted will be more happy with 1980 than with 1989.
No, I wanted a time in the 90s and care naught about maximization of computers or Russians.

If you want to invoke SG-1 you need to be in the right generational framework of the world and SF. Being closer to Vietnam than Desert Storm would make pretty much everything different. 1980 would also be just barely closer to TNG than TOS. That'd make everyything different too.

1990s please.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #83
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, I wanted a time in the 90s and care naught about maximization of computers or Russians.

If you want to invoke SG-1 you need to be in the right generational framework of the world and SF. Being closer to Vietnam than Desert Storm would make pretty much everything different. 1980 would also be just barely closer to TNG than TOS. That'd make everyything different too.

1990s please.
^ What he said. I'd be willing to compromise with 1989, given that's the average of the suggestions, but 1980 strikes me as far too early.
EDIT: Although looking back at the responses, Fred, it looks like you may have forgotten to vote here. The rest of the votes do indeed match what ericthered suggested, it's just my vote that seems to be the odd man out, currently.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-26-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #84
TGLS

I could go for the year 2000 if that was one of the options.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #85
adm

One thing I did not like about the SG series is that other Earth based powers are irrelevant, or worse, comic relief. A power with access to a Gate will be looking for advantages to take home, by Cannon Russia has gate access, they should be more than an over site, a cliff hanger, or comic relief. Furthermore, the System Lords will be looking for this sort of thing to exploit. We could always go later, and use China instead, or a resurgent (military power wise) EU.

I stuck with Russia, since they are already in the story line.

1989 can work just fine. While the USSR collapses into CIS, it will still be looking for advantages, and may be more willing to listen to Baal's whispers.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #86
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
EDIT: Although looking back at the responses, Fred, it looks like you may have forgotten to vote here.
Surgery does that to me. I missed out on playtest credit for the Transhuman Space "martian" book because major surgery distracted me. Fortunately this was only minor surgery.

I also didn't have a strong preference for any specific year but I thought that i had voted for the 90s generally. That may have been the question before.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #87
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
^ What he said. I'd be willing to compromise with 1989, given that's the average of the suggestions, but 1980 strikes me as far too early.
EDIT: Although looking back at the responses, Fred, it looks like you may have forgotten to vote here. The rest of the votes do indeed match what ericthered suggested, it's just my vote that seems to be the odd man out, currently.
I missed your vote Varyon. Sorry. That does change things. If everyone else is happy with 89, we can use that. It just bothers me mathematically when people say "we'll use the average number of the votes", because it strongly disadvantages the ends.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #88
Prince Charon

Goa'Uld Question I

What is the nature of the Goa'Uld (or this setting's equivalent)? You may vote for more than one option, or for a combination of options; if you vote for #3, you especially might want to consider also voting for others.

1. Basically like Stargate canon, but magical.

2. Similar to SG canon, but highly skilled and/or powerful magic-users, with their power of Possession being an effect of that (e.g. a spell, ritual, or item), rather than a natural ability. (Still mechanically Powers, due to the system vote, but learned powers, rather than inborn; allows for varying skills in standard abilities, as well as a wider variety of powers between individual false gods.)

3. Various types - rather than the Asgard being the Norse Pantheon and the Goa'Uld being basically every other Earthly pantheon, many or most pantheons were founded by separate groups, with separate abilities and natures (this should lead to some pantheon-specific votes, later). Some pantheons may be more inclusive than others, and thus not be all from the founding race/group, or be some form of hybrid. Some of the pantheons might be branched off from others, e.g. the Romans being a hybrid partially branching off of the Greeks (and perhaps also both being descended from an earlier pantheon).

4. A formerly-natural race, descended from those who made a deal with demonic powers (or are those who made the deals, since they tend to age quite slowly, if at all).

5. Actual possessing demons, but material (which makes the Tok'Ra harder to explain).

6. Evil spirits or otherwise immaterial beings, that need to possess mortals to interact much with the physical realm (this may make the Tok'Ra harder to explain).

7. Dieties or powerful spirits, but more limited than the Ascended.

8. Shapeshifters, who might or might not take forms able to possess people, but probably don't need to.

9. Other beings who don't do possession at all, or who very rarely do.

10. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Answer: No clear consensus.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 09-29-2022 at 03:11 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #89
Varyon

Alright, so here's my idea for the Goa'uld. There is a separate reality (if the Stargates are interdimensional rather than interplanetary, this reality borders all the dimensions) that is essentially composed entirely of chaotic energy. There are occasionally rifts that form between the realities, resulting in a "pool" of this energy. The Order of our world(s) is imposed upon the chaotic energies, and slowly, over time, this produces a sapient entity, a Goa'uld. Such beings are generally stuck within the pool, but if a sapient corporeal being draws too near to the pool, it is possible for the Goa'uld to latch onto said entity. The souls of sapients are powerful, enduring, and most importantly very similar to the chaotic energy of the pool, sustaining the Goa'uld indefinitely. The Goa'uld is also able to work the energy of the soul to preserve its host, as well as accomplish incredible feats of might and magic. Goa'uld who die cross back over into their originating realm, their knowledge spread amongst the energies, resulting in a form of racial memory.

But it takes a long time for a Goa'uld to form within such "breeding pools." Early experiments to inject a bit of the chaotic energy into a sapient failed - the soul is too strong, and crushes the larval Goa'uld. Refinement of the method produced the Jaffa - humans who have literally had a large portion of their soul carved away and replaced by such energy, giving them many of the benefits of being a Goa'uld host, in addition to accelerating the process of the mindless larvae into proper, fully-grown Goa'uld. However, because of the damage to the Jaffa's soul, it is impossible for the Goa'uld to take over - dominating the soul would snuff it out, killing both the Goa'uld and its Jaffa host. Rather, the mature Goa'uld will overtake an intact host, after which the Jaffa must either take in a new "larva" or will die, his/her body unable to survive having only a partial soul without a Goa'uld to work its magic. A dead Jaffa is still a danger - if his/her Goa'uld was sufficiently mature, it is possible for it to attempt to dominate and overtake a nearby intact host.

As for the Tok'Ra, they are Goa'uld who have chosen a different path - rather than dominating their host, they form a properly-symboitic pairing, mingling their own essence with the host's soul.

So... sorta akin to 6, but with nuances. I think the above covers most of the aspects of them (breeding pools, superpowers, Jaffa are more powerful than normal humans but die without a symbiote and cannot themselves be proper hosts, racial memory, can jump from a dead host to parasitize a new one, etc), and does it in a fashion consistent with being Fantasy rather than Science Fiction. Likening the realm they come from to Hell honestly probably isn't far off, and neither is calling them demons... but unlike demons they have a choice as to whether or not to be horrible.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #90
Kesendeja

#7 is probably the one I like most.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding