Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
sum1els

Default Re: Empty Green Hex Map with Overlays

I unrolled one of my chessex hex mats to find a map from the previous year still on it. Although washing faded the wet-erase ink, the map is now basically permanent. I think with any of these things it's a good idea to erase anything you write on it within a week. I'd say the same for the earthquake putty.

Now if you don't expect to be changing the map a lot during play, I found laying a sheet of Plexiglas over the game board is great for holding bits in place, and allows you to write on the map itself. I use the plex for lots of different games - it's really handy if you have to pack the game up until next weekend; you can just write on the plex where all of the pieces are, and mark a couple of points of the underlying gameboard for registration.
sum1els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.JeffB View Post
And now I have to wonder what else I've overlooked in the rules...
:-\

Thanks!
Undoubtedly quite a bit. There's a lot of content in there :-)

I haven't seen big issues with overlays moving around. The bigger issue I see is when you stack multiple layers (eg., town with road with a crossing RR gets a bit wonky) especially when height keeps changing due to uneven overlays.

In some ways, printing your won on cardstock is better for this (the thinner pieces are more even)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
mtngrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila Ross View Post
Gripmats link isn't going to happen) would likely be good. Kickstarting now already funded, and they do hex grids in a variety of sizes and backgrounds designs.
I asked the creator BFR Games about 1.5 inch hexes, got this back:

Quote:
We will be doing 1", 1.25", and 1.5" hex and square overlays. This is not a problem!

And if you love this solution, we would love you to tell others in the Ogre community that we have a great game enhancement for them!

Cheers,
Eric Salyers
Break From Reality Games
Could be a cool way to deploy a whole lot of overlays!

Note: Getting one of these Gripmats will in no way reduce my interest in expansion maps! Just thought I should be clear on that.

Also, Moderator: I hope this is ok to post on the forum, if not, please delete, no worries.
mtngrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
mmaestro

Just so I'm clear on the gripmat thing: we should be able to get one with 1.5" hexes? Any idea on colors? I looked at the Kickstarter page and wasn't completely clear on what was going to be available, they have so many designs but no comprehensive list. If so, I'll fund now.
Obviously I don't speak for SJG, but since they've mentioned Kickstarters in the Daily Illuminator that were unaffiliated, my guess is they don't mind mention of other products. My sense is their opinion matches mine: what's good for other gaming companies is good for the industry as a whole. A rising tide lifts all boats, etc etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
sum1els

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaestro View Post
Just so I'm clear on the gripmat thing: we should be able to get one with 1.5" hexes? Any idea on colors?
The people at Break From Reality are just a bunch of gamers like us, why don't you just drop them an email directly?
sum1els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
offsides

The ODE maps are 1.5" hexes, so that's what you want if you're trying to match scale. Technically, since the unit of distance in the game is based on 1 _hex_, you could do any hex size you wanted, but the counters are sized to fit 1.5" hexes.

It looks like they can do solid colors of any hex code you want to give them, though I haven't actually asked to confirm. You can also give them custom artwork, but you'd need SJG's permission to use their specific hex art to make your own map. They might well give you permission, but this is not the place to discuss that - check their online policy and the like for more details.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
mmaestro

OK, looking over the page when not sleep deprived, it looks like you can choose any art and have any square or hex design on top of that art. I'm thinking the green fields with a 1.5" hex will be perfect. So Kickstarter will be ordered. Fingers crossed that works out well.

Dumb question: how big are the GEV maps in the box? I don't have them to hand right now so can't measure. Just wondering what size of map I should pick to fit in with what I already have.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #28
StormCrow42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaestro View Post
OK, looking over the page when not sleep deprived, it looks like you can choose any art and have any square or hex design on top of that art. I'm thinking the green fields with a 1.5" hex will be perfect. So Kickstarter will be ordered. Fingers crossed that works out well.

Dumb question: how big are the GEV maps in the box? I don't have them to hand right now so can't measure. Just wondering what size of map I should pick to fit in with what I already have.
The grid is 23x23 hexes. The hexes are 1.5" flat-to-flat, so the long side of the map is about 34.5" (edit: actually 33", since the 23rd hexes are cut in half. So you essentially have a 22x22 grid to figure the size for)

Last edited by StormCrow42; 12-17-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Revised for half hexes
StormCrow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
mschultz

Decided to get the 2 set 18"x36" with that mat kickstarter.

Want to have a nice travel ogre box going.
mschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #30
gev

Quote:
Originally Posted by smathers View Post
I have not noticed any significant staining from blue Sticky Tack, but I also don't leave it on for very long. Overnight one time was the longest so far.
Two words: Museum gel.
My limited experience with museum gel is with LEGO, but it takes VERY little to make something stay in place, and it cleans up nicely. no color to stain.
gev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
designer's edition, maps, overlays