Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Alden Loveshade

Default Errata: Free Double Magery

I downloaded a new version of GCA4 not too long ago. I just ran into something weird.

I was making a new mage character, and the spell levels seemed to be coming out really high, much higher than they should. After trying Recalculate Everything, Resynchronize, etc., they still came out really high. I finally realized it was giving me double credit for Magery--Magery 2 counted as Magery 4; Magery 3 as Magery 6, etc.

But then I noticed my old mage characters still looked like they should.

Finally, I discovered this:

Under Full Edit Window, Gives, my pre-existing characters had:
+1 to ST:Magery, +1 to SK:Thaumatology
But my new character had:
+1 to Spells, +1 to SK:Thaumatology, +1 to ST:Magery
It looks like either that +1 to Spells or +1 to ST:Magery needs to be removed.

Unless, of course, I really should have free double Magery (I wouldn't complain, but my GM might). ;-)

The last time I sent errata to errata coordinator in December, I was told in February to post it in the SJGames forums. But then I was told it should go to errata coordinator. So this time I'm doing both.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Errata: Free Double Magery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I downloaded a new version of GCA4 not too long ago. I just ran into something weird.

Under Full Edit Window, Gives, my pre-existing characters had:
+1 to ST:Magery, +1 to SK:Thaumatology
But my new character had:
+1 to Spells, +1 to SK:Thaumatology, +1 to ST:Magery
It looks like either that +1 to Spells or +1 to ST:Magery needs to be removed.
There was a significant change in how Magery applied it bonuses, yes, and it looks like somehow you are using the new version of the Magery attribute but the old version of the Magery advantage. Possibly you're loading an older version of the Magic data file with a newer version of the Basic Set.

Magery no longer gives +1 to Spells directly, but rather gives a +1 to ST:Magery, and ST:Magery gives +1 to spells of certain colleges. This was necessary to accommodate Ritual Magic and Clerical Magic, since +1 to Spells affects all spells, including those ones. (it also did away with some of the ugly +1 from Magery / -1 from Magery / +1 from Magery which showed up when using One College Only Magery).

Please download and then Reapply the Data Update, making sure to right click and Run as Administrator when you do so. On existing characters make sure to Resync both Advantages and Attributes. If that fails remove then re-add the Magery advantage manually to see if that clears it up.

Quote:
The last time I sent errata to errata coordinator in December, I was told in February to post it in the SJGames forums. But then I was told it should go to errata coordinator. So this time I'm doing both.
Errata for books and PDFs should go to the Errata coordinator. Errata for GCA or its data files should be posted here or e-mailed to me directly (I prefer they be posted here first, then prodded by e-mail if I miss it somehow).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-24-2011 at 02:05 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Please download and then Reapply the Data Update, making sure to right click and Run as Administrator when you do so. On existing characters make sure to Resync both Advantages and Attributes. If that fails remove then re-add the Magery advantage manually to see if that clears it up.
Also note that when GCA changed it's file paths (I'm not sure which version had that change) it put some .gdfs in the "Worldbooks" subfolder, but doesn't delete the older copies you might have elsewhere.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Also note that when GCA changed it's file paths (I'm not sure which version had that change) it put some .gdfs in the "Worldbooks" subfolder, but doesn't delete the older copies you might have elsewhere.
True, but that shouldn't be affecting the Magic or Basic Set data files since they're not "Worldbooks." OTOH, we've had weird problems with the upgrade process before, and this is definitely a case of mixing old and new files somehow.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
There was a significant change in how Magery applied it bonuses, yes, and it looks like somehow you are using the new version of the Magery attribute but the old version of the Magery advantage. Possibly you're loading an older version of the Magic data file with a newer version of the Basic Set.

Magery no longer gives +1 to Spells directly, but rather gives a +1 to ST:Magery, and ST:Magery gives +1 to spells of certain colleges. This was necessary to accommodate Ritual Magic and Clerical Magic, since +1 to Spells affects all spells, including those ones. (it also did away with some of the ugly +1 from Magery / -1 from Magery / +1 from Magery which showed up when using One College Only Magery).

All right I'll try that. Thanks for a quick response. I had already rewritten the Magery description myself for that one character, but it would be much easier if I didn't have to rewrite it every time. I'm one of those people who often mixes old and new, borrowed and blue....

Quote:
Errata for books and PDFs should go to the Errata coordinator. Errata for GCA or its data files should be posted here or e-mailed to me directly (I prefer they be posted here first, then prodded by e-mail if I miss it somehow).
I understand the logic behind that, and will follow that for GCA. But the weird thing is I emailed errata for a GURPS PDF and a couple months later got a response to post the errata/erratum here first. Now that I sent the email on an erratum for GCA I got a note from the errata coordinator very quickly. It said in part, "Thank you for sending in errata. We'll be looking into the reported problem. If the errata is officially approved, it will be added to the appropriate errata page."

Am I confused or is it just me?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Am I confused or is it just me?
I think there have been a number of changes to SJGames staff over the last few years. I'm not sure who is the errata coordinator now, but I gather it's changed few times recently. Also there may have been policy changes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Quote:
All right I'll try that. Thanks for a quick response. I had already rewritten the Magery description myself for that one character, but it would be much easier if I didn't have to rewrite it every time. I'm one of those people who often mixes old and new, borrowed and blue....
Hopefully reapplying the patch should fix it. If not there's more intensive ways it can be handled (like having you manually move/delete all the data files then apply the data update again). Either way, it's just a matter of finding the right fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think there have been a number of changes to SJGames staff over the last few years. I'm not sure who is the errata coordinator now, but I gather it's changed few times recently. Also there may have been policy changes.
I'm not sure who's doing errata or their official policies at the moment. For a long time it was a volunteer position, but recently they made it a staff position (probably due to a lack of a good volunteer and a desire to integrate it into the production process). I believe for a time they wanted errata for PDFs to go to the e23 guys directly (either on the forum or via e-mail), but AFAIK now they should go to the regular errata dropbox.

At any rate, the Errata coordinator has never been in charge of anything regarding GCA. The couple of times when they did get something regarding GCA their response was to just send the problem to me and/or Armin, since we're the ones who deal with GCA. It's easier, and quicker, to cut out the middle man and just contact us directly on the forums. One reason I prefer the forums is that sometimes these errors are user related, sometimes they're installer related, sometimes they're program bugs, and sometimes they're problems with the data files themselves. I don't expect end users to be able to tell the difference between those possibilities, but many of the helpful posters here can and offer help faster than either Armin or I can. Other times it takes a bit of snooping to figure out what exactly the problem is, and open discussion often times helps us track down the cause of those problems.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
I'm not sure who's doing errata or their official policies at the moment. For a long time it was a volunteer position, but recently they made it a staff position (probably due to a lack of a good volunteer and a desire to integrate it into the production process).
Ah well; so much for me applying for the position.

Quote:
One reason I prefer the forums is that sometimes these errors are user related, sometimes they're installer related, sometimes they're program bugs, and sometimes they're problems with the data files themselves. I don't expect end users to be able to tell the difference between those possibilities....
Thank goodness. But in my case, I know they aren't user related. I never make misteaks. Mistakes.

Tags
errata, gca4, gurps 4e, magery