Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Magery 0 w/modifiers

Why is it you apply the modifiers to only magery 1+? What if the mage is only capable of fire magic? Any thoughts?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Magery 0 w/modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Why is it you apply the modifiers to only magery 1+? What if the mage is only capable of fire magic? Any thoughts?
There's about a page worth of discussion about modifying Magery 0 in Thaumatology.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Oh, of course, so many of my questions have answers in other books. Is there any simple explanations though?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Not another shrubbery

The short explanation is that it is assumed in Basic that even an aspect limited mage can still detect magic and use mage-only items. Thaumatology allows for the possibility that aspects (or other limitations) might also limit those abilities, and thus reduce the cost of Magery 0.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

So it's as simple and not needlessly complicated as it should be. Cool, that just what I needed.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Personally I prefer to not modify Magery 0. If you have a +3 or +4 bonus only to fire magic, it's not unlikely that you'll only learn fire magic anyway.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

True, but the capability is there. For instance(in a specific campaign), fire can learn non fire spells, but are completely incapable of casting them. They have a nice bonus, though; they can fire magery up to 5, as opposed to 3. This is one of those situations i'd like to modify it.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Bruno

The big thing with not modifying Magery 0, is that you can still detect non-Fire magic, even if you've got only Fire Only magery, and you can still use non-Fire items, and you can still detect mana level changes, not just changes in Fire aspected areas.

Limiting Magery 0 to (for instance) Fire Only removes all those options. Using something like Dance Magery as the limitation means that all those abilities only work when dancing, and so forth.

There are a lot of really useful spells that don't require Magery 1 as a prerequisite, but you still need Magery to cast them in a Regular mana area - the mage with unlimited Magery 0 can still learn and cast them.

Generally loosing ALL of that is not what players have in mind, but as long as everyone is really clear what saving those one or two points sticks you with, I think it's pretty fair.

And of course you could have one or two levels of regular magery, plus more Fire-only magery - in that situation I definitely wouldn't allow limited magery 0 at all.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
True, but the capability is there. For instance(in a specific campaign), fire can learn non fire spells, but are completely incapable of casting them. .
That would of course require a world that had no high mana areas. Frankly though that kind of absolute prohibition might be better represented with powers-based magic.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That would of course require a world that had no high mana areas.
Not an uncommon idea - at least for RPGs, but also for a lot of fiction as well. The idea of "regular folks" being able to learn and perform magic is hardly universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Frankly though that kind of absolute prohibition might be better represented with powers-based magic.
This, I don't follow at all. Why? Especially if you have a mix of fully-talented mages and restricted mages in the same setting, who are supposed to be "doing the same thing", only one group are more limited? Or one group gets highly limited magery as part of their racial template and the ability to buy it up from there - classic D&D gnomes come to mind as a race that's supposed to be heavily inclined to being "illusionists" but not full fledged wizards.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, modifer