Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [Psi Powers] Create Electricity as an Ergokinetic 'Battery/Power Cell' substitute?

In an earlier thread, I asked whether Power Source (Ergokinesis Perks text box, Psionic Powers p35) should be made a leveled perk to substitute for more powerful batteries/cells, and/or an advantage, to power energy weapons, or EK attacks like Lightning (pp33-34). The answer I was given was to just use Create Electricity (Powers pp92-93), but the question is, what enhancements and limitations should be applied? 'Ergokinesis, -10%' is fairly obvious in context, and 'Based on HT, +20%' with 'Requires HT Roll, -10%' seem to fit fairly well (though that could be replaced by Will or IQ, of course, depending on how the setting works, or how the individual psi's powers do). On p93, it says that the energy you get is '1,000 x (level squared) kJ,' which sounds like a fair bit, but it's released too slowly to do damage, which sounds like an enhancement would be needed to power an energy weapon that does not have its own battery or power cell; for that matter, it may be too slow to power some devices that are not weapons, but still use power fast.

Also, not entirely sure how many kiloJoules different sizes of power cell store, nor how many kiloWatts the battery sizes output (looked at High-Tech p13 and Ultra-Tech p19 didn't help, though the former at least mentioned RL batteries I could compare them to, to check), so I'm not clear on how levels of Create Electricity relate to specific items without doing more research than I feel up to right now (tired, but want to get this done sooner rather than later). Depending on that, it might also make sense to apply some limitations on the first few levels of a psi ability based on Create Electricity, much like you need for levels of Sleep (Psionic Powers p49) before you start leveling up the Affliction advantage, rather than reducing limitations or increasing an enhancement.

OK, if there's anything else I needed to say or ask, I can't think of it. Any suggestions on appropriate enhancements, limitations, et cetra?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: [Psi Powers] Create Electricity as an Ergokinetic 'Battery/Power Cell' substitute

A charge of 1000 kJ, or 1 MJ, equates to 278 watt-hours. That's about the energy content of a 4.2-lbs. alkaline battery, which seems to be what High-Tech has in mind as a nonrechargeable battery.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psi Powers] Create Electricity as an Ergokinetic 'Battery/Power Cell' substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
A charge of 1000 kJ, or 1 MJ, equates to 278 watt-hours. That's about the energy content of a 4.2-lbs. alkaline battery, which seems to be what High-Tech has in mind as a nonrechargeable battery.
Meaning the Medium battery, which weighs 2 pounds in High-Tech, or the Large battery, which is 10 pounds in High-Tech? The former seems more likely, but not certain.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

This is from a thread I was in years ago. May be of some help.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ability, psionic powers, question