Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default MINES in OGRE

13.04 Mines. The defender is given a predetermined number of mines. He places them in whatever hexes he wishes, recording the hex numbers and whether they are on the road. Any number of mines may be placed in a hex, and only one goes off at a time. The attacker does not know which hexes are mined.

If a mine is on a road, it explodes when any unit enters that hex on the road, but is unaffected if a unit enters the hex without using the road.

If a mine is not on a road, it explodes only on a die roll of 6 (5 or 6 for an Ogre). Mines that fail to go off are unaffected, but by entering the hex, the opposing player learns that it is mined.

A mine explosion affects only the unit setting it off. Armor units are destroyed; infantry is reduced by 1 squad;an Ogre rolls 1 die and loses that many tread units. the mine itself is destroyed. A mine explosion on a bridge hex destroys it; a mine explosion on a road or railroad creates a road cut. mines are not large enough to turn towns or forest to rubble.
Page24 OGRE DE

A Ninja has state-of-the-art detection equipment, giving it advanced awareness of mines and other hidden units. Whenever a Ninja is about to enter a hex that contains enemy mines, the Ninja may then choose to either not enter the hex and move elsewhere, or continue on into the hex. Additionally, if a Ninja voluntarily enters a enemy mined hex, the mine goes off only on a roll of a 6, instead of the usual 5 or 6. [NINJA Draft Rules] http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/new-units/ninja.html

We currently have HIDDEN mine placement where the mine using player notes secretly where their mines are placed. That's fine, I like it a lot, however, it can get tedious with the bookeeping, not to mention it requires extra attention to make sure they are not forgotten and all used properly in the game. I really like the concept of mines in OGRE a lot because they can make Scenarios more interesting, ect. It opens the possibility the NINJA can be put on specific missions to do mine detection-clearing for example to prepare the way for allied forces to follow.

Another mine placement method I suggest, and prefer using instead of secret mine placement is where the mine using player places ?/# Tokens, ? facing up wherever mines are placed. The Token indicates the # of mines. In this case, all players generally know mines may or may not be there. This is explainable in-game as units are able to generally detect the presence of mines. (See DECOY Mines below).

With the above mentioned alternate mine placement method to secret mine placement I also suggest adding DECOY Mines as a new type and placement method. DECOY Mines are detectable the same as other mines, but the enemy can not tell if they are real mines or not. They are in between real mines and no mines at all in an area and cost much less than real mines. They create a deterrent of enemy movement through areas that not placing mines cannot. This is very NINJAish Imho, but I can see it's use otherwise.

This would be saying that all units have the ability to detect mines and DECOY Mines as a native ability, thus, they are represented on the map with Tokens. Such detection only indicates a general perception of the mines and is not a precise reading. For the most accurate perception level of detecting mines you use Bugeye, Recon By Fire Missile, and Mine Sweeper. The NINJA still has it's Draft Rule of detecting mines on a 5 or 6.

There are two ways to detect mines and this is determined by the ability or Trick being used. Roll to detect and reduce the mines and Roll to detect and move through the mines. Mine detection rolls should be done in that order: roll to detect and reduce and then roll to detect and move through because you may reduce the # of mines before you move through them.

I would also add an abstract description to mines saying the # of purchased mines are only representative and not an exact count of the actual mines. This would create elbow room to allow the FanMade suggestions a more "realistic" function in the game. For example, the Broad-Cluster and Compact-Cluster deployment of mines (see below) then becomes more acceptable as a general rule without having a magnifying glass on it...that is...it works without letting the rules minutia prevent it from doing so. It does away with the difference between 1 mine in a hex or 100...it makes it all a generalization, which I think works better here for the mines. Currently, there are no limits to how many mines can be placed in a hex. I'd like to see a limit of some sort to better dial all this in (maybe for example) to the point you can say...ok...this hex is mined 1/3%, 2/3% or 99% and use these three as some base to work the rest out from as far as attacks from the mines and how many.

Mines are deployed in two different ways. Broad-Cluster and Compact-Cluster. When deployed as a Broad-Cluster, such mines are spread out and it is possible to maneuver through them without detonating any, and this uses normal rules.
When deployed as Compact-Cluster, such mines are much closer together and it is impossible to move through them without detonating them. In this case, a enemy unit must attack the mines with normal attacks in order to clear them enough they may then move through them and then use the normal mine rules as if they were Broad-Cluster deployed.

Use Broad-Cluster and Compact-Cluster mine deployment Tokens to indicated how mines are deployed in a hex. Only one type of mine deployment is possible per hex.These are a WIP, and may not really matter or have a place here.

The following are official and FanMade mine related concepts:

Bugeye. (+5 VP). -/7 Heavy Missile. Sensor Cloud. [Roll to detect and reduce mines]Scans hex for mines, powered down units, etc. etc. What really comes in handy is that the sensor cloud also eliminates any terrain defense bonuses for any unit for that hex for the rest of the game![FJCestero]

Recon By Fire Missile. 15 VP. [Roll to detect and remove mines]. An RBF missile is treated like a normal missile except it does no damage to a target. It scouts everything in every target hex it flies over and all adjacent hexes as thoroughly as if the Ninja itself were there. Range 15 hexes. Any mines in any hexes that have been detected, have their number reduced by a d6 roll per hex. This represents such mines being pin pointed and marked, thus, effectively rendering them as if removed or destroyed because their exact location is known and units can avoid them automatically. [MODIFIED by Tim Kauffman] Changed to allow hexes flown over and adjacent to be scouted and a number of mines to be removed by a die roll.

Mine Sweeper. ? Trick, ? VP. [Roll to detect and reduce the mines and roll to detect and move through the mines]. The NINJA's native mine detection technology is upgraded to increase it's chance of detecting and moving through Broad-Cluster deployed enemy mines without being damaged. Mine Sweeper is available in 5 upgrade levels. Each level adds +1 to the detection roll of the NINJA. Level 5 Mine Sweeper automatically detects mines and no die roll is needed. Mine Sweeper also acts as Recon By Missile for purposes of reducing the number of mines by rolling a D6 and adding the Mine Sweeper modifier. For example, mine Sweeper 3 will also add +3 when using it to reduce the number of mines. Roll to detect and reduce the mines before rolling to detect and move through them as you may reduce their # and have a better chance of not being damaged. It can be used with Recon By Fire.[Tim Kauffman]

Caltrops. 1 trick, ? VP. The Ninja can place up to a dozen mines. 1 mine for every movement it uses, as it moves. For example, the NINJA moves 2 times, staying in the same hex and places 2 mines there, then moves into another hex, placing a 3rd mine in that hex, and finally ends it's movement by moving into another hex, placing a 4th mine in that hex. Use ?/# Tokens to represent how many mines are in a hex. See section 13.04 in Ogre Designer's Edition for more on mines in Ogre.
[MODIFIED by Tim Kauffman] changed from only 1 deployed per turn

Caltrops Disharger. 1 Trick, ? VP. Any number of mines can be deployed in the same hex or any adjacent hex surrounding the NINJA on the NINJA players turn during their movement phase. This can be used with the Caltrops Trick. Use ?/# Tokens to represent how many mines are in a hex. [Tim Kauffman] https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...posted-public/

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. ? Trick, ? VP. Mines carried by the NINJA may be deployed at the beginning of the enemies turn before their movement and before an Overrun begins. The NINJA player who wants to deploy mines in preemptive response, declares they are deploying mines and states how many and what types are being deployed and places the indicated mines being used. They then resolve the mine attack(s) and any damage done as soon as enemy units are in the same hexes as the mines. Then the enemy players attack(s) are resolved as usual with any remaining units. [Tim Kauffman] This is a defensive deployment system much like the ones used today by aircraft in the form of flairs to attract and destroy incoming Ground-To-Air Missiles, only it uses Mines

FASCAM Missile. 10 VP. This missile allows a Ninja to place three mines remotely within a range of 10 hexes. All three mines are placed in the target hex. If there is a road or rail in the hex, the Ninja player decides where the mines are placed. The mines are considered active on the next turn. Use ?/# Tokens to represent how many mines are in the hex and which are on the road or not. (See section 12.05 in Ogre Designers Edition for more on mines). [MODIFIED by Tim Kauffman] removed die roll for mine placement to allow player choice

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 12-21-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote