Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Playmat Variations

Hi, gang.

I'm back with a little unofficial market research. I've been playing around with the mats recently, as I plan the next versions, and a few ideas have popped into my head. So, I figured I check in with y'all and get some feedback.

Q1: Do you have an interest in variant playmat maps?

Q1a: Variant 1 would be to produce a map that features graphics depicting the terrain in winter conditions. As there are no official winter terrain rules, the map would play identically to the "summer" version; it would just look different. (That's not to say that an Ogrezine article of winter rules might not occur, but no promises!)

Q1b: Variant 2 would involve taking an established playmat map and depicting it in a majorly damaged condition with damaged Towns and Forest, Rubble, broken Roads and Rail, etc. There is lots of opportunity here, but I do not know if there is interest.

Q2: Conceding that there should be a new Ogre-style playmat map in the near future, which would you prefer to see generate a greater focus? Ogre maps or GEV maps?

So . . . what do you think?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:12 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Playmat Variations

Variant mats that don't affect gameplay don't seem attractive to me, simply because playmats are fairly expensive (especially with shipping outside the US). I'm much more interested in variations in play than the appearance of the board.

I find the GEV maps more interesting to play on, simply because there's more fun, albeit childish fun, in imagining blasting unspoiled terrain than bouncing rubble.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
Izzy_B

I spend a chunk of cash on Ogre stuff even when the shipping can cost more than the thing itself, here's my 2 Yen of opinion:

While its an interesting thought, the reality is probably that it doesnt really enhance gameplay. Even I bought them for completeness sake, I dont see that I'd get much use of them.

As for Ogre playmats, a playmate is $30 + shipping, for that money you can get a box of Ogre 6e with the hardback maps and you also get counters. Doesnt sound like a value.

Up to now, with the exception of M2 for Iron Mountain, playmats are a good value for me because they inspire spur of the moment scenarios for battle. We can already add damaged town hexes or change terrain with overlays.

In summary, no to season playmats and O1&2, yes to more GEV type maps.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Deimos

I'm going to echo the sentiment of the previous two posts. I'd get little to no use out of variants of existing maps, or more Ogre ones either.

When I sit down to play, which isn't very often, I prefer using the GEV maps and rules, as I find them more interesting. The current maps and scenarios will be able to provide me with a lot of entertainment for a long time, so ones that just look different would not be something I'd be interested in. Neither would "pre-damaged" ones. That's what we have a myriad of overlays for.

In prioritizing the purchases my limited gaming budget allows, I'd be much more inclined to favor new green maps over many other things. Especially if they geomorph with existing maps. Now as to whether those maps should be playmat or mapboard style is a discussion probably best left for another time.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
wolf90

You are all echoing my thoughts as well (see May 18 Ogre News). But I wanted to make sure I was on point.

Certainly if there are any other opinions, pro or con, I still want to hear them!

D
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Stabliser

1) maybe
1a) not so much
1b) well if we had a map with a reservoir and an alternate for after its destruction that might be an interesting pair with flooded cities and washed out bridges, but just adding destroyed city hexes and craters doesnt seem enough.

2)GEV maps all the way, I'd only play the basic scenario on the ogre map, GEV maps for everything else. (when I actually get to play these days)

I think theres a limit to how far SJG should take the playmats, at least in the short term. Too much at once seems to be where Im at just now (waiting for 2 lots of playmats and battlefields - Im not ready for more as Ive yet not seen these 3 recent items that Ive committed to)

I'd really like coastal maps and beachhead/landings scenarios. Its always felt like a missing part for moving ogre to a campaign idea. But I'd rather see coastal maps as GEV board maps that ajoined G/S maps than as playmats.
Yeah Ive pushed the sea ogre idea before :)
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
Larry.irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
As for Ogre playmats, a playmate is $30 + shipping, for that money you can get a box of Ogre 6e with the hardback maps and you also get counters. Doesnt sound like a value.
Hmmm... this hadn’t occurred to me.

Does the hardback map from Ogre 6E have the same size hex-grid as the map that comes in the Ogre Battle Box? I’ve been wanting to find/make an O1 map for use with miniatures (I’m still baffled why it wasn’t included in the Battle Box) but that map from 5E would work well ...if it’s the right size/scale.

- Larry
Larry.irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.irish View Post
Does the hardback map from Ogre 6E have the same size hex-grid as the map that comes in the Ogre Battle Box? I’ve been wanting to find/make an O1 map for use with miniatures (I’m still baffled why it wasn’t included in the Battle Box) but that map from 5E would work well ...if it’s the right size/scale.
Yes, the 6E map has the same size hexes as the map in the Battle Box and the ODE maps.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Cat

I expect to pretty well wrap up the first batch of neoprene scenarios I'm working on in the next month or so. (Playtest games tomorrow morning here at Huzzah Con in Maine!) The next batch of scenarios I've started sketching out will will indeed be winter scenarios in northern Canada with frozen water. However, I am not interested in investing in an extra set of duplicated winter mats.

I would be happy to have another GEV neoprene mat with maximum connectivity options to existing mats.

Very happy to see that O2 is in the works! I think that more Ogre type mats would be the most useful to get to next. I've been running games at primarily miniatures conventions this year, and got some players to pick up their own Battle Boxes and jump in with the minis. A regularly repeating conversation (including just this morning) is why is there not an O1 map available outside of 6th Edition for those of us who play with miniatures and not cardboards.

More neoprene Ogre options would help a lot. And for the love of mercy, please release on O1 pdf at the very least. Consensus in every one of the map conversations is that a Combine flavoured Battle Box with O1 included as the paper map would be the most sensible option. (None of us in these conversations have been able to fathom why O1 wasn't the map in the Pan-Euro Battle Box.)

Not so much a variant as just a re-do: for future printings of M2, adjusting the mountain areas so that ridgelines that fall primarily, or close to primarily, along hexsides are illustrated as actual Ridge Hexsides would give a lot more flexibility in creating variant rules for using the mountains. Sometime in the near future I'm likely to just take a magic markers to my M2s and add them.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
(None of us in these conversations have been able to fathom why O1 wasn't the map in the Pan-Euro Battle Box.)
This I can explain, as Phil or Drew explained it to me. G1 was in the Battle Box because, effectively, that product is the current edition of G.E.V., and there is no other place to get a copy of that basic map outside of expensive out-of-print products or having your own printed. The latter also assumes that you know of the SJ Games website and can find the .pdf of the map, and have access to a printer large enough.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote