Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #41
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: TL9 Antimatter pion rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not really possible to focus a driver beam at the required ranges. If you could, it would be somewhat more efficient, because you can use a driver beam at 0.2c or so. The solar wind is much much too slow to be relevant to this discussion.
For mag sails, one suggestion I have heard is to use it to accelerate a lighter and smaller craft (either unmanned or with crew in some form of stasis, uploaded, etc.) to very high G (100G+) over a relative short run distance.

The magsail can be unfurled once acceleration ends, but then used as a brake against the interstellar medium as the destination is approached.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #42
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
@ David Pulver: So when's the next Spaceships book coming out ;-), I got the $$ right here!

Seriously, I would love a Spaceships treatment on Current & Expected Tech in the next few decades, and fiddly numbers on things like Vasmir, M2P2, NERVA/LANTRN... broken down in Experimental through Mature TECH crunchy numbers.

Anyways, got the $$$ right here... just sayin' :)
Yeah, I've been thinking of that. A book I am thinking of proposing is "GURPS Spaceships: Hard Science" - this would provide not so much more *complexity* as a stronger focus on TL8-9 campaign with some more realistic values and systems.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #43
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
That strikes me as being in the domain of the Vehicle Design System rather than the Spaceships series.
With its focus on mass-based designs and its ease of doing certain calculations the Spaceships series is actually somewhat better able to simply handle spaceships.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #44
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
For mag sails, one suggestion I have heard is to use it to accelerate a lighter and smaller craft (either unmanned or with crew in some form of stasis, uploaded, etc.) to very high G (100G+) over a relative short run distance.
To reach 10% of c, your acceleration time at 100G is 30,000 seconds, and acceleration distance is 3 AU. In order to be appreciably more efficient than a photon sail, you need extremely high beam current and relatively low per-particle energy (which also lets you keep the sail field requirements modest), but that's the last combination you want for effective beam collimation. In addition, because the acceleration time is so much shorter, the power required while the beam is operating are much higher. It may be possible to use a particle sail, but I have trouble coming up with a design that would outperform a lightsail.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #45
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking of that. A book I am thinking of proposing is "GURPS Spaceships: Hard Science" - this would provide not so much more *complexity* as a stronger focus on TL8-9 campaign with some more realistic values and systems.
This would be great... and I'm not looking for an increase in *Complexity* as so much an increase in variety, where especially at TL8-9 you need the right tool for the specific job. One thing I would like to see a bit of Complexity added to is Hull Shapes (using an optioinal switch), ala Transhuman Space, and how they effect Weapon Placement/Heat/Profile SM/Armor/etc..

Another theme for Spaceships I would love to see in Space Staions, able to handle the military job of DS9, the enormity of B5, or a good 'ol hollowed out Kuiper Belt object. The Approach would be using Spaceships to create the Backdrop of a game or campaign setting.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

A space station is just a spaceship without a drive.
My setting has one giant station with millions of inhabitants unofficially called The Leviathan, since the main engineers are semi-aquatic.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #47
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
And a transport is just a spaceship with a cargo bay and/or passenger quarters. That didn't stop them from publishing Traders, Liners, and Transports. Though I do wonder what sort of "value added" feature you could put in a Space Stations supplement: Spaceships 2 had the economics rules, Spaceships 3 had the hex-grid space combat system, and so on.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #48
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
My setting has one giant station with millions of inhabitants unofficially called The Leviathan, since the main engineers are semi-aquatic.
True, and Traders/Liners have a lot of habitats, Exploation Vessels have good Sensors, etc.

While it's certainly possible to build a Spacestation with the current rules, I'd like a Spaceships Treatment of going into the economics, design and function in the usefull but streamlined way the series has handled other themes such as warships, colony vessels, etc.

An Expansion on Habitats, from "Roomy" versions, Super-Luxury and a more in-depth treatment on special modules would be useful crunch. Edited to Add: Plus rules on having a large variety of atmospheres for the Habitats ala Babylon 5.

External Clamps as Space Docks, a clooser look at various Spin Gravity Options (Edited to add: and the cost assoicated with having different sections using different spin gravities), and perhaps a look at Automated External Shipbuilding Facilities could all come in handy.

Additionally, rules on what kind of propulsion systems would be required/used for staions to maintain stable orbits, and how much MPS of Delta-V is required per YEAR (or other suitably long time frame). Edited to add: A treatment on the Pros/Cons and Delta-V requirements for different orbits (LEO, HEO, Geosync, Lagrange points) and the Delta-V that a ship would need to reach such a station.

I would love to see some guidelines on turning an Asteroid or Comet into a spacestation other than using Rock/Ice armor... especially if the entire station is less than 1/10 of one spaceship system. While it can be figured out with current rules, I'd love to see some good guidelines (I believe there was a Pyramid article to this effect as well.)

Finally, a look at beanstalks and skyhooks and how they can be incorporated into Space Station design.

Edited to Add: A treatment on Beamed Power Stations would also be nice.

Last edited by Trachmyr; 06-14-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #49
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
And a transport is just a spaceship with a cargo bay and/or passenger quarters. That didn't stop them from publishing Traders, Liners, and Transports. Though I do wonder what sort of "value added" feature you could put in a Space Stations supplement: Spaceships 2 had the economics rules, Spaceships 3 had the hex-grid space combat system, and so on.
There are space stations already in SS5, but there could certainly be an entire supplement dedicated to different kinds of stations.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #50
dataweaver

Certainly. I was merely wondering what else such a book could offer, besides space station write-ups; and Trachmyr provided one possible answer.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antimatter, hard sf, spaceships