Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #311
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Does GURPS need original-setting world books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
for instance, Yrth/Banestorm -despite Phil's efforts for improving it
And Jonathan Woodward's. Why do people always forget him?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #312
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
The plan would have to be to appeal to a much larger number of gamers who are readier to be impressed and readier to play games the way they buy them, glad that someone has done the tedious prep for them.
I think the more successful of the pre-generated modules in the old AD&D world was the series of modules that more or less told a small story. They are a little on the dungeon crawl side of the card, but I'd like to see something for the current worlds which runs on that aspect. Several adventures with tie-ins that a GM can play through and perhaps even build a small campaign out of.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #313
Cybren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
I think the more successful of the pre-generated modules in the old AD&D world was the series of modules that more or less told a small story. They are a little on the dungeon crawl side of the card, but I'd like to see something for the current worlds which runs on that aspect. Several adventures with tie-ins that a GM can play through and perhaps even build a small campaign out of.
Let's not forget that a lot of the D&D settings started in this fashion- a series of modules that described small areas of a world, taking advantage of the default assumptions of a D&D world. A similar thing done in GURPS would require first defining the setting, unless it was written for a line like Dungeon Fantasy (which isn't out of the question). Other genres lack the tight focus of DF, so they'd have to have a setting first, and then adventures.
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #314
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
Hm, I don't know. Sorry.

For my part, I think I would be satisfied seeing the Dungeon Fantasy line continues, or seeing enough and good supplementary material for the hardcover 4e Fantasy, the book what provided me the with opportunity to return to GURPS because its support (for first time) of Fantasy as genre and generic sourcebook instead offering an already worked setting I never could to accept.

Regards

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #315
Sydney

I've decided to rework an adventure that I had written for my campaign setting, that had made it into a now defunct Wizards of the Coast fanzine that was put out by the community for submission to e23 or Pyramid (might go Pyramid first on this one, it was a shortish adventure set in a tiny farming village.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #316
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
And regarding original settings, enough of delusions please: there is nothing new under the sun, nor in sci-fi, nor in horror... nor in fantasy. Originality today isn't possible at all (nor necessarily desirable) and a good layout and attractive illustrations can make a decent designed product to cry "Buy me!" for themselves.
Be that as it may, "original" in this context is contrasted with "licensed".

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #317
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
He doesn't seem to be around much, these days. That... and second billing, probably lead to the lack of recognition.

The writer of GURPS Godzilla deserves better :/
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #318
Caleban

Fantasy 3E was written: by Janet Naylor and Kirk Tate. Shouldn't they be credited with the original concept?
Caleban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #319
ham2anv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleban
Fantasy 3E was written: by Janet Naylor and Kirk Tate. Shouldn't they be credited with the original concept?
Nope, it all goes back to Fantasy 1e, written by the man himself, Steve Jackson.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #320
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybren
Let's not forget that a lot of the D&D settings started in this fashion- a series of modules that described small areas of a world, taking advantage of the default assumptions of a D&D world. A similar thing done in GURPS would require first defining the setting, unless it was written for a line like Dungeon Fantasy (which isn't out of the question). Other genres lack the tight focus of DF, so they'd have to have a setting first, and then adventures.
The thing is there really weren't "default assumptions of a D&D world" unless you mean add in magic items that shot your game balance to Outer Planes, us plot devices to nullify about half the party's magic, and throw in several things dead set to kill the party regardless of how much sense it made.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps revival