Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2024, 09:16 AM   #1801
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Okay, but these are cases you worked, so the FBI has some records? How long ago were they? I travel in my dreams, so if she did the same, I don't think she could have died offworld... Did they say they dreamed of places before going there? Did they go to more than one place? Did they say anything about the worlds?"
Detective Barnes: "The FBI has some records. These are very confidential. I wrote most of them, and I've read all of them many times."
"I don't know what to think of these worlds. My evidence for the worlds is limited to their words, your words, and knowing that they actually do disappear. They described the worlds in great detail. Yes, they would dream of the worlds before going there. Yes, they each described a different world each time"



Quote:
"I'm sorry... You didn't share the video of him vanishing, because he thought another part of the government was looking for him? I'm confused... I would think that would be a given once they knew this stuff was real. Are you like, 'The Truth Is Out There' FBI, or 'Control, Contain Delete MiB' FBI?"
"I'm a 'Protect my Charges' FBI. If another part of the government is looking for him, and it seemed like they might, they were doing it without warrants or due process. I'm a cop, not a journalist."



Quote:
((Did he just confess to withholding evidence related to a disappearance and obstruction of justice?))
That's probably a law roll, and one I don't know the answer to.

Quote:
Between Empath and Body language, is Peter picking up anything sketchy from this guy? Or Grunkle Bob for that matter?
He seems very determined to protect them (and Peter). And he seems to have no problem with secrecy.


Quote:
"So what do you suggest now? I'd like to go after these guys, maybe go home and set a trap, but I'm worried about my parents. I was tempted to wake up in the apartment or the office and look around, but getting back here would be a pain. I, like, hafta fo offworld soon too, I kinda have a job to get back to, but I can't leave my parents in danger!
Detective Barnes: "Don't engage these people. They're dangerous. We may eventually lay a trap, but not yet. I want to collect some more information on them."


"I don't think your parents are in danger. In fact, changing their schedule is likely to be more dangerous than acting like we haven't noticed anything."



Dad: "I thought you couldn't control where you go? You have a job to get back to?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:42 PM   #1802
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Detective Barnes: "The FBI has some records. These are very confidential. I wrote most of them, and I've read all of them many times."
"I don't know what to think of these worlds. My evidence for the worlds is limited to their words, your words, and knowing that they actually do disappear. They described the worlds in great detail. Yes, they would dream of the worlds before going there. Yes, they each described a different world each time"
Peter very much would like to hear and read of these accounts of other dreamers and what they may have in common, and the worlds they've seen... Somehow, I doubt they will let him.


Quote:
"I'm a 'Protect my Charges' FBI. If another part of the government is looking for him, and it seemed like they might, they were doing it without warrants or due process. I'm a cop, not a journalist."
Peter is satisfied!
Quote:
"I don't think your parents are in danger. In fact, changing their schedule is likely to be more dangerous than acting like we haven't noticed anything."
Peter thanks the man warmly.
Quote:
Dad: "I thought you couldn't control where you go? You have a job to get back to?"
Peter has described all of his adventures (with the only real omission being his possession in the first jump which he will probably just tell them about at some point, his not telling them was kind of a "your cat is on the roof" maneuver, but they will read all about it when he finishes the book). He recounted the Emissary stuff and his level of control in post 1760 along with his crushing feelings of responsibility and a burgeoning messiah complex.

Peters parents should be up to speed on his feeling the need to be the grown-up and play messenger and Emissary to try and balance the needs of three civilizations on collapsing worlds. He might have to solve the god's war too, he hasn't gotten to that yet...

"Okay, so what should we do?"
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:48 AM   #1803
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter very much would like to hear and read of these accounts of other dreamers and what they may have in common, and the worlds they've seen... Somehow, I doubt they will let him.
Detective Barnes says no reading! He is willing to give a short description of each world.


Matt Reported:
  • a pre-industrial world of giants and enourmous snakes
  • The Emperor of France holding court in 19th century mexico
  • An army using crystal weapons to fight giant termites


Jenny Talked about:
  • preindustrial Dwarves being haunted by sinister colorful energy spirits
  • strange monkey-aliens setting up a colony in the early 20th century Amazon
  • A nasty war involving two chineese armies, one with modern riffles and the other with crossbows and spears.
  • semi-industrial dwarves running Zeplins.
  • A deserted island full of shipwrecked alien soldiers.
Quote:
Peter has described all of his adventures (with the only real omission being his possession in the first jump which he will probably just tell them about at some point, his not telling them was kind of a "your cat is on the roof" maneuver, but they will read all about it when he finishes the book). He recounted the Emissary stuff and his level of control in post 1760 along with his crushing feelings of responsibility and a burgeoning messiah complex.

Peters parents should be up to speed on his feeling the need to be the grown-up and play messenger and Emissary to try and balance the needs of three civilizations on collapsing worlds. He might have to solve the god's war too, he hasn't gotten to that yet...

Ok, but he's also told his parents he doesn't have the control yet to stay home. How is he reconciling that with "I have a job to get back to?"

Quote:

"Okay, so what should we do?"
I'll let that stand until things are reconciled.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:13 AM   #1804
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Peter is astonished at some of these reports!

"Dwarves!?!? Aliens?!?! I met a bioengineered girl and ghosts, butfantasy-land dwarves? And for real aliens?!?! Holy crap!"

Quote:
Ok, but he's also told his parents he doesn't have the control yet to stay home. How is he reconciling that with "I have a job to get back to?"
I'm confused. What's in question? He's just being 99% honest with them as he has all along.

He has an increasing amount of control, but the power is still uncontrollable and triggers when it wants (and he doesn't want it to) sometimes.

Quote:
I'll let that stand until things are reconciled.
I don't see anything in conflict. He's always been honest about how this works and what he is doing.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #1805
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"I'm getting better at controlling it all the time. I know I was a day off for Turkey day, but I'm home for Christmas!"

"I come and go with my dog, so I think it's safe to say I'm just a runaway at this point... it's what I honestly am unless you say I can go. I can control it well enough that when I do vanish I can probably get back within a few days, but the places I go always seem to have people who need my help."
I remembered this explanation wrong.

Detective Barnes: "For now, if you come home, its best to leave immediately, until I can get a better situation for you. Bob might be a better place to visit than home. I know you can't control it, but they're watching you home, so do what you can."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:11 PM   #1806
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Detective Barnes says no reading! He is willing to give a short description of each world.
Peter asks if they seemed to have a task to complete before they jumped home, and if they talked about magic at all.


Quote:
Detective Barnes: "For now, if you come home, its best to leave immediately, until I can get a better situation for you. Bob might be a better place to visit than home. I know you can't control it, but they're watching you home, so do what you can."
Peter isn't thrilled with this response, as he is a man of action! But he understands. His parent's safety is what is most important and just tipping them off could endanger them.

Peter explains he is getting better at aiming, so he can try for Grunkebob's guest room or a safe house or whatever if they have something.

'Giants, alien monkeys and dwarves.... Why am I even surprised?'


______________________________________________

The family will continue the discussion and make final decisions together.

Peter thinks the plan should be:
  • Pick his landing zone and go familiarize himself with it if it's a new place.
  • Parents go back to business as usual once Peter "dreams on".
  • Peter will return to his new "Landing Zone" when possible and check in with his parents by phone, or however Detective Barnes wants him to do it.

When Peter is "in town" he can work on his schooling and study for the GED and take tests on a computer from anywhere until they can eliminate the danger to the family.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #1807
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter asks if they seemed to have a task to complete before they jumped home, and if they talked about magic at all.
Detective Barnes: "A task? No, but they always seemed to land in trouble. Jenny said she couldn't leave until she had internal peace, and a safe place to sleep, and wasn't worried about dying the next day. Matt didn't talk the conditions to leave: he was just glad to be back."

Peter explains he is getting better at aiming, so he can try for Grunkebob's guest room or a safe house or whatever if they have something.

Quote:
'Giants, alien monkeys and dwarves.... Why am I even surprised?'
Detective Barnes: "you've seen your own share of wildness. And claimant Gods."
Quote:
The family will continue the discussion and make final decisions together.
Peter thinks the plan should be:
  • Pick his landing zone and go familiarize himself with it if it's a new place.
  • Parents go back to business as usual once Peter "dreams on".
  • Peter will return to his new "Landing Zone" when possible and check in with his parents by phone, or however Detective Barnes wants him to do it.
When Peter is "in town" he can work on his schooling and study for the GED and take tests on a computer from anywhere until they can eliminate the danger to the family.[/QUOTE]
They agree that's a good idea. His parents want to make sure to have contact with him when he visits. Detective Barnes says its ok for Uncle Bob to call them and then hand the phone to Peter.


The Guest room is currently occupied by his second cousin's family... Great Uncle Bob suggests a secondary study in the back, with a back door, and give him a filing cabinet to put things like backup pajamas and toiletries in. There is a short couch there for him to sleep on and "Aim for".



Setting up study from anywhere is easy, just a matter of passwords (this is 2014, two-factor nonsense is still something only self-conscious cutting edge folks do.)


*2015 is just a week away!
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-01-2024 at 10:05 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:58 AM   #1808
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
*2017 is just a week away!
Then Peter is actually on a very similar but incorrect world. On Peter's Earth, it's a week from 2015.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:17 AM   #1809
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Detective Barnes: "A task? No, but they always seemed to land in trouble. Jenny said she couldn't leave until she had internal peace, and a safe place to sleep, and wasn't worried about dying the next day. Matt didn't talk the conditions to leave: he was just glad to be back."
"Are you sure you can't tell me Matt's real name? Maybe I can find him if I try."
Quote:
The Guest room is currently occupied by his second cousin's family... Great Uncle Bob suggests a secondary study in the back, with a back door, and give him a filing cabinet to put things like backup pajamas and toiletries in. There is a short couch there for him to sleep on and "Aim for".
Peter will sleep there tonight if has not been doing so already...

When Peter retires for the evening, he will try and focus his dreams on 'Matt, the dreamer like me' and see if he can conjure the vision of their location, or "any dreamer like me" if he can't find "Matt."

If that doesn't work and there is no strong current dragging him elsewhere, it's back to the Pristine Realm to deliver Thurman messages, collect charms and info, and maybe investigate the god-war.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:49 AM   #1810
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Are you sure you can't tell me Matt's real name? Maybe I can find him if I try."
"I can't tell you his full name, but his real name is Bryan. If you can find him, get him to tell you the rest."



Quote:

Peter will sleep there tonight if has not been doing so already...

When Peter retires for the evening, he will try and focus his dreams on 'Matt, the dreamer like me' and see if he can conjure the vision of their location, or "any dreamer like me" if he can't find "Matt."

If that doesn't work and there is no strong current dragging him elsewhere, it's back to the Pristine Realm to deliver Thurman messages, collect charms and info, and maybe investigate the god-war.
Peter dreams that night... but cannot find "Matt" or "Brian" or even "Any Dreamer like me". He turns his mind to the pristine Realm, and wakes up in Tar-Bilik's hut.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.