Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Body Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But controlling micro-expressions is not realistic. So I would prefer some use of a cinematic skill to overcome it rather than just allowing mundane skills to have cinematic effect.
I suppose that's just my preference.
When I heard that teh microexpressoanalytix is teh undefeatable back during the pitch for Lie To Me, I was immediately suspicious. Every time someone advertises something as irresistible, incapable of failure etc., BS meters go off the scale.
Forcing someone to rely on a cinematic skill to resist Body Language and Detect Lies seems very fishy from a gaming perspective too.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
When I heard that teh microexpressoanalytix is teh undefeatable back during the pitch for Lie To Me, I was immediately suspicious. Every time someone advertises something as irresistible, incapable of failure etc., BS meters go off the scale.
Forcing someone to rely on a cinematic skill to resist Body Language and Detect Lies seems very fishy from a gaming perspective too.
There's very little proof that "microexpressions" actually mean anything useful at all.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

More a description of all movements of the face and body that humans can't detect than anything specific, I would say.
If a program can detect something we can't, then I'm fine calling them such things.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
The hierarchy I was thinking of is:

Acting can resist Body Language or Detect Lies (BL/DL), with a contest of skills, as per RAW.

Body Control might have a serious advantage in such a contest. A success could just mean that BL/DL didn't work at all, or could enable actively misleading them with a contest of skills.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
But controlling micro-expressions is not realistic.
It's at least as realistic as microexpressions are. The whole point of Body Language, face-reading, etc. is to be informed about the subject's emotional state in a given context, and it's not as if people can't manipulate their own emotions, or distract themselves with painful stimuli or memories, or have poor laaguage skills most of the other tricks and dodges from BLADE RUNNER-related properties.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
Humabout

I'd let someone roll against Body Control as a complimentary skill to Acting when resisting Detect Lies and Body Language. Not sure about just rolling against Body Control on its own. Maybe a Will-based roll to resist polygraphs?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
More a description of all movements of the face and body that humans can't detect than anything specific, I would say.
If a program can detect something we can't, then I'm fine calling them such things.
They haven't been shown to actually mean anything. If a machine can detect them, and they are meaningless noise, then it's not really useful. Garbage in/garbage out.

Even if they do mean something, they mean that the person has a thought (that they may not even be consciously aware of) about something briefly that causes an emotional response, it isn't necessarily relevant to anything they are saying or that the interrogator is interested in.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

I meant my posts to refer to emotional states only, not complex lies and subtle deception.
The real research is geared toward pain identification in hospital settings. Identify the drug seekers and how much to treat actual pain.

I personally was mocked by two nurses in the E.R. for complaining about my sore throat. It was one of the worst pains of my life.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I'd let someone roll against Body Control as a complimentary skill to Acting when resisting Detect Lies and Body Language. Not sure about just rolling against Body Control on its own. Maybe a Will-based roll to resist polygraphs?
Complimentary Skills are always a good thing.
As for resisting polygraph, maybe I'd even go further, such as making it skill+2 to +5, since it's a pretty rare skill that allows rather fine control of body functions. I mean, it better be good compared just using straight Will even after a minimal point investment. Besides, opponents can always decide to ditch the polygraph entirely, particularly if they have Intuition.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 09-01-2014 at 08:54 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
Humabout

Quote:
Complimentary Skills are always a good thing.
As for resisting polygraph, maybe I'd even go further, such as making it skill+2, since it's a pretty rare skill that allows rather fine control of body functions. I mean, it better be good compared just using straight Will even after a minimal point investment. Besides, opponents can always decide to ditch the polygraph entirely, particularly if they have Intuition.
That's a good point. For 8 points, you probably should get better than just "as good as what you'd have had without it". Heck, even if you used an optional specialty specifically for fooling polygraphs, it still costs 4 points to do what you could with Will. Rolling at +2 would make it cost 2 points to match Will and do anything else Body Control lets you do. Thinking on it, I'd even make Fool Polygraph an average technique that defaults to Body Control+2 and can be bought up on its own.

[EDIT]
Actually, thinking more about this, if you were to take Resistant to Polygraphs (+3), it'd run [2]. So that's Will+3 for 2 points, as opposed to Will+3 for [16] with Body Control (Polygraph Results). Perhaps screwing with a polygraph should fall under not-typically-stressful routine use category that anyone with the skill should be able to accomplish. Give fooling a polygraph a +4 bonus, so that with 2 points in it, you pop out at attribute+3.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 09-01-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, body control, skill, skill of the week