Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2018, 04:02 AM   #1
VonKatzen
Banned

Default Higher TL Equipment Costs?

I'm just wondering if someone could direct me to somewhere in the GURPS guide for cost guidelines on higher tech level gear.

Specifically, I have a TL9 civilization which happens to be able to produce TL10 Drop Pods, and I was wondering if there was a standard formula in the Basic Set or Ultra-Tech for purchasing things that exceed the base tech level? I feel like I've seen this before but neither the Google nor the PDF searches are yielding me anything but the inverse of what I want (low-tech items at higher TLs).
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: Higher TL Equipment Costs?

Tech Level and Equipment on Page 27 of the Basic Set. That contains the only guidelines I am aware of.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Perhaps you're thinking of the invention rules? Prototypes of one TL higher cost triple base price.

(Remember that incomes scale up with TL, rather than scaling the prices down. TL 10 is 55% more productive than TL 9 to start with. So, as a percentage of income, that TL 10 item is already 55% more expensive relative to your means at base price; tripling that means it's effectively more than four and a half times as expensive, relative to your other options and opportunity costs. The TL 9 military buying those prototype TL 10 drop pods is giving up a lot more of its other capability to have them than is a TL 10 military.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
VonKatzen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
Tech Level and Equipment on Page 27 of the Basic Set. That contains the only guidelines I am aware of.
That's exactly what I was looking for, I just couldn't remember where it was. Turns out in the most obvious place!
Thanks.
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote