Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Psi-Tech] Strategic Psychotronic Devices

I agree. Astral Projection, ESP, and Telepathy are quite useful. Astral Projection allows for direct spying without any detection, ESP allows for improved planning (it is less useful for direct spying than Astral Projection because of the limited range), and Telepathy allows for subversion. Possession with Full Memory Access (+10%) and Telecontrol 2 (+100%) allows for the ultimate double agent, though Mind Control is probably sufficient for most purposes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Astral Projection allows for direct spying without any detection
Other than by other astrally projecting counter-agents, of course. One could also develop appropriate psi-tech, like an "astral detector" or some kind of astral trap. The comic book The Invisibles had a military base partly protected by something that allowed them to grab "remote viewers" projecting in and feed them whatever crazy scenario they liked. Real-life alleged remote viewers like Lyn Buchanan talk about using "topologically interesting" objects in a sensitive area to distract remote viewers from whatever other object they are trying to view remotely.
lugaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
Other than by other astrally projecting counter-agents, of course. One could also develop appropriate psi-tech, like an "astral detector" or some kind of astral trap. The comic book The Invisibles had a military base partly protected by something that allowed them to grab "remote viewers" projecting in and feed them whatever crazy scenario they liked. Real-life alleged remote viewers like Lyn Buchanan talk about using "topologically interesting" objects in a sensitive area to distract remote viewers from whatever other object they are trying to view remotely.
Also, Anti-Psi and Meta-Psi abilities and equipment may exist in-setting, as well as beings who can't project themselves, but can use Astral Sight and Astral Sword (or other crossworld abilities) to detect and attack astral spies.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Of course, but we are then talking about the reason why Psionic gives -10%, it has countermeasures.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Of course, but we are then talking about the reason why Psionic gives -10%, it has countermeasures.
Which turns things into an arms race, which is good for gaming.

I don't know if espionage in general is a "Strategic Weapon", but it is essential to the foreign policy of people who have access o strategic weapons.

The nasty telepathic disabling weapon reminds me of Larry Niven's precursor species, who were wiped out by a galaxy spanning psi-bomb that commanded suicide.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
psi-tech, psionic campaigns, worldbuilding