Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2021, 12:18 AM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Realm Management in Practice - Realms and Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
What about entities of different sizes? Sticking to Realms, if Luxembourg attempts to spend a Workforce Point to Bluff Russia, is Russia just screwed if their relevant skill isn't very high, despite having a much larger (presumably, due to the expense of each Workforce Point) counterintelligence operation?
I didn't include rules like that because it would have bogged down gameplay a lot. If you want a more capable realm give it a better Management skill or perhaps give it a new realm enhancement equivalent to Indomitable so that attempts like that don't work as well. Alternatively, If you want to take into account size differences use the rules for Trade and treat them as a modifier to bluff, threaten, etc. That might be a good optional rule for follow-ups should there be any.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #12
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I didn't include rules like that because it would have bogged down gameplay a lot. If you want a more capable realm give it a better Management skill or perhaps give it a new realm enhancement equivalent to Indomitable so that attempts like that don't work as well. Alternatively, If you want to take into account size differences use the rules for Trade and treat them as a modifier to bluff, threaten, etc. That might be a good optional rule for follow-ups should there be any.
I've mostly been thinking about matters in light of the recent discussion on ACOUP of history and specifically how Europa Universalis IV relates to historical theory. He notes that the state of "international anarchy" pushes polities to maximize growth simply to counter the growth of other polities, though in considering it from another perspective I suppose that's already covered in The Wheel by incorporating Mass Combat. But, on the third hand (and I know this wasn't a priority in RM), I wonder what would be the best way to handle Organizations from Boardroom and Curia in The Wheel. For sure, simply working with skill levels is important (certainly it's possible that Minitech might have a superior security team due to having a genius in charge, especially as we move away from gritty toward story and cinematic focused play, and so be able to easily handle the more by-the-book forces of General Overall Development Corp), though I could also see incorporating a modifier based on relative Realm Size equivalent (100x organizational income equals +6, or whatever conversion; I might limit such bonuses to +6, or maybe +8 or +10, since even in a gritty setting money only takes you so far). Scaling the Resource Points might also be useful, especially when it's covering maneuvers by corporations on the Stock Market or whatever, and absolutely for Trade maneuvers.

Anyway, just thinking out loud I suppose. I'm also reading Mailanka's "Orphan of the Stars" series for ideas and ways to think about matter.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
Anyway, just thinking out loud I suppose. I'm also reading Mailanka's "Orphan of the Stars" series for ideas and ways to think about matter.
Orphan of the Stars is really good, though it expects you do get into the math of things. Which if that's what you want, is just fine. I certainly didn't mind it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
realm management