Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
Infornific

Default V&V Conversions

As a way of dealing with stress, I've been converting Villains & Vigilantes powers to GURPS. It occurred to me that this might be a useful resource for GURPS Supers games. Anyone know a good site to post them? I understand that there's a GURPS wiki somewhere.

Added later:

The power list can be found here. It currently includes (in progress):

Armor Type A (Natural)
Disintegration Ray
Heightened Agility
Heightened Charisma
Heightened Defense
Heightened Endurance
Heightened Intelligence
Heightened Strength
Invisibility
Lightning Control
Magical Spells
Mind Control
Natural Weaponry
Regeneration
Size Change (Larger)
Size Change (Smaller)
Sonic Abilities
Special Weapon
Speed Bonus
Wings

Last edited by Infornific; 09-30-2021 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Additional information
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: V&V Conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
As a way of dealing with stress, I've been converting Villains & Vigilantes powers to GURPS. It occurred to me that this might be a useful resource for GURPS Supers games. Anyone know a good site to post them? I understand that there's a GURPS wiki somewhere.
GURPS wiki is here, and should work for that, IIRC.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #3
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
GURPS wiki is here, and should work for that, IIRC.
Thanks. Took a start here but I'm new to wikis.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:16 AM   #4
whswhs

I've looked at your post, and I have one comment on it: I've lately played with V&V character creation, and in the course of doing so, I worked out that taking Heightened Strength B gets you to D-scale, taking it three times gets you to C-scale, and taking it seven times gets you to M-scale.

For example, Heightened Strength B adds 3d10 to your S, which is an average of 16.5, raising S from 10 to 26.5. Using the equation for lift, [(26.5/10)^3 + (10/10)]/2 = 19.61/2 = 9.8 times your body weight, contrasted to 1 times your body weight for an average unpowered human.

The original Superman of 1938 just about fits as a C-scale character, which could happen with just the right rolls on the character creation tables. I don't think either the Superman of 1960 or the post-Byrne Superman of today could be duplicated in V&V, either in terms of raw power or in terms of diversity of powers.

To get 10x Basic Lift in GURPS takes ST 32; to get 100x takes ST 100. The latter is manageable for 900 character points. Of course you'll also need a few other abilities.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I've looked at your post, and I have one comment on it: I've lately played with V&V character creation, and in the course of doing so, I worked out that taking Heightened Strength B gets you to D-scale, taking it three times gets you to C-scale, and taking it seven times gets you to M-scale.

For example, Heightened Strength B adds 3d10 to your S, which is an average of 16.5, raising S from 10 to 26.5. Using the equation for lift, [(26.5/10)^3 + (10/10)]/2 = 19.61/2 = 9.8 times your body weight, contrasted to 1 times your body weight for an average unpowered human.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure that's correct. The formula in V&V for calculating Carrying Capacity is closer to BL than GURPS ST. To be 9.8 times as strong as an ordinary man would require a GURPS ST of 31. Which is well within I level. According to your own book, top of I level is 15d damage or ST with Super Effort of +10/100. Roughly net ST of 120 or so.

Even someone with 7 levels of Heightened Strength B would have a Strength on average (assuming a base of 10) of about 126. With Endurance 10 and a weight of 150, that would be a carrying capacity of roughly 150,000 lbs or a GURPS ST equivalent of 316 - in the D range but well short of C or M.

To closely match the Heightened Strength B you'd need about 200 points in ST. I chose to limit to a 100 point trait partly because I wanted the powers to cost 100 each and partly because that's about enough to bring a normal person up to Captain America/peak human levels. I included the lowest level of practical Super Effort ST for 400 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The original Superman of 1938 just about fits as a C-scale character, which could happen with just the right rolls on the character creation tables. I don't think either the Superman of 1960 or the post-Byrne Superman of today could be duplicated in V&V, either in terms of raw power or in terms of diversity of powers.

To get 10x Basic Lift in GURPS takes ST 32; to get 100x takes ST 100. The latter is manageable for 900 character points. Of course you'll also need a few other abilities.
Not an expert but I thought 1938 Superman was about the top of I level bottom of D levels, though he rose pretty quickly. In Supers it's suggested he could be built on a 1,000 point, scaled down version of the Archtype template.

V&V is a little weird but the ceiling is usually fairly low by Super standards. That seems a good fit for GURPS Supers.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Thanks. Took a start here but I'm new to wikis.
Nice start but in the wrong place. "Category" is a special section of the wiki. I've moved it to a main page with the proper topnote. Also did a few tweeks to make it more readable.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure that's correct. The formula in V&V for calculating Carrying Capacity is closer to BL than GURPS ST. To be 9.8 times as strong as an ordinary man would require a GURPS ST of 31.
It depends what "9.8 times as strong" actually means: Based on the point total ST can be broken up as follows:
*Lifting ST: (+3 per +1 ST)
*Striking ST: (+5 per +1 ST)
*Hit Points [HP]: (±2 points per ±1 HP);

Quote:
Not an expert but I thought 1938 Superman was about the top of I level bottom of D levels, though he rose pretty quickly. In Supers it's suggested he could be built on a 1,000 point, scaled down version of the Archtype template.
I actually wrote him up under Classic rules and AIR that is about right.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #8
whswhs

If an average Kryptonian, on Earth, has Heightened Strength B x3, that's +9d10 to S, which averages +49.5. Rounding that up to +50 gives total S 60. Their lifting ability then is 6^3+1 x (weight/2). An average human's lifting ability is 2 x (weight/2), so they're 108.5 times as strong as a human, in terms of lifting abiiity. That's equivalent to GURPS ST 104, or Lifting ST +94.

In V&V, damage inflicted scales approximately as the logarithm of carrying capacity. Assuming a male Kryptonian with body weight 175 pounds (I don't recall the original Kal-L having a "denser molecular structure"), I get 18,987.5 pounds, which gives 3d10 damage, or 6.6x a normal human's ability to injure with a blow; taking ST 10 as giving thrust damage of 1d-2, I get 6.6d - 13.2 = 23.1-13.2 = 9.9, which is roughly 3d, or Striking ST +20.

However, in GURPS, damage inflicted scales approximately as the square root of carrying capacity. The square root of 108.5 is about 10.4. Taking 10.4d - 20.8 gives 36.4 - 20.8 = 15.8, which is roughly 4d+1, which equates to Striking ST +30.

Or we could just equate it to ST+90, for Basic Life 2000 lbs. and thrust damage 11d.

I kind of think that the second of those options is probably best. Basic Lift 2170 lbs. will let Superman pick up a fairly heavy truck two-handed; damage 15.8 will require an average human to roll to stay conscious, but isn't likely to kill them.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #9
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Nice start but in the wrong place. "Category" is a special section of the wiki. I've moved it to a main page with the proper topnote. Also did a few tweeks to make it more readable.
Thanks. Thought I put it in Conversions but couldn't figure out how to fix it after I started it. I looked over the wiki writing guidelines but I'll take another look.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
It depends what "9.8 times as strong" actually means: Based on the point total ST can be broken up as follows:
*Lifting ST: (+3 per +1 ST)
*Striking ST: (+5 per +1 ST)
*Hit Points [HP]: (±2 points per ±1 HP);
The 9.8 here mostly focuses on how much you can lift. That said, the Strength stat in V&V affects HtH damage and damage capacity as well as lift. So it's simplest to treat it as a boost to ST. In fairness, V&V Strength isn't the main base for Hit Points so you could make a case for less of a boost to HP.

Tags
supers, v&v