Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
myrmidon

Default Burn DR [Basic]

As a GM, I am working to build a superhero with flame-based powers using about 500 points. The part I am having trouble figuring out is his skin. His skin is like charred wood, which provides 10 basic DR. This costs 50 points. The skin is also extra-resistant to burning damage, providing an additional 50 DR versus burn. Using the Limited Defenses special limitation for burn damage, this costs 150 points. Combined, these two cost 200 points, which is a lot! It seems (in my inexperience) that the burn DR is overpriced for this situation. It's only supposed to protect from extreme heat; the basic DR provides the protection versus poison or skin contact (see Tough Skin). Would taking Tough Skin for the burn DR make sense? I know what I'm describing for the burn DR doesn't match the theme of Tough Skin, but it kind of matches the mechanics. Is that reasonable or am I missing something here? Thank you all in advance.
myrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Burn DR [Basic]

Tough Skin is a limitation because it is vulnerable to Contact Agent. Contact Agent isn't valid for Burning Immate Attack. So no.

If you want protection against heat (not damage) that's tempurature tolerance.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-20-2022 at 08:41 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #3
myrmidon

To clarify: by "extreme heat", I mean burn damage.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:50 PM   #4
Donny Brook

The problem, obviously, is that Limited DR is badly mispriced.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

If the DR protects only v. fire that'sa category more limited than "burn". Burn covers electrical attacks and quite a few other things.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

50 points of DR vs. one of the most common kinds of damage in many games should be worth a lot. It's five times more than you need to protect against any source of burning damage in High-Tech short of nuclear weapons.

Supers often benefit from IT:Damage Reduction
With Limited Burning, one level is 30 points.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If the DR protects only v. fire that'sa category more limited than "burn". Burn covers electrical attacks and quite a few other things.
B46 has heat/fire equivalent to burning damage, interestingly. Presumably because it protects against heat/fire sources that aren't burning damage, like Afflictions, fatigue damage from heat, and I guess therombaric explosives.

Burning damage from fire would probably be Occasional, I'd think.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:29 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
50 points of DR vs. one of the most common kinds of damage in many games should be worth a lot.
While true, there's a general problem with limited DR: GURPS doesn't care about who chooses whether a power works.

If you have a power that only works to attack half of your possible opponents, you're the one picking who you use it on, so -20% is fair.

If you have a power that only works to defend against half of your possible opponents, your opponents are picking who attacks you, so it should be more like -60%.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:32 PM   #9
myrmidon

I was thinking more of general protection versus heat and fire, which sir_pudding pointed out is equivalent to burn damage under Limited Defenses.

The idea is to protect from plasma torch levels of fire damage, 1d-4d(5) burn. The reasoning is that the superhero produces a plasma torch from his hands. Plasma torches have a 5 armor divisor, which means it takes a lot of DR to stop it. Can Hardened reduce an AD to less than one? (For example, does Hardened 4 reduce an AD of 2 to an AD of 0.5?)
Old 02-20-2022, 09:40 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrmidon View Post
ICan Hardened reduce an AD to less than one? (For example, does Hardened 4 reduce an AD of 2 to an AD of 0.5?)
Nope, Hardened stops at 1.

Note that f you put 3 levels of Hardened on your basic DR you don't need the special DR.