Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-14-2024, 10:07 AM   #271
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
True, the "PTB" is an idea he's got in his head, but he feels the magic and corresponding sense as his own, despite the potential paradox.

If he has a feel for magic and conveyors, he thinks maybe he can push the sensitivity to adjacent effects to pick up otherworldly things or more passive magic.

"Weirdness" is more of a meta discussion term than one Peter would use obviously, but it might be appropriate as a detect category in its own right.
These are some interesting ideas. Some of the implicit questions have really firm answers and some are more nebulous. And what assumptions are being taken for granted.

Quote:
This situation is very interesting. With the pressure of "real world" ramifications and the natural deference to his parents, we're seeing a very different Peter than we're used to.
You specified that his parents were fairly hands off and defferential and let him have a lot of trust independence, and I've been trying to play that... but there are also limits to that.

Also, Great Uncle Bob is fun to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I see. So Paul was always in the plot. I got the crazy idea that the Starpus were related to the missiles (like maybe they Kamikaze piloted them), but that doesn't seem to have materialized.

I don't think you expected Julian to sell the knives in the spears and not mention them, or to just surrender to Tarbreth, so how predictable is he really?
Perhaps Julian is not predictable. Where DID I get that idea?

I noticed the starpus idea being thought about before.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:11 AM   #272
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
These are some interesting ideas. Some of the implicit questions have really firm answers and some are more nebulous. And what assumptions are being taken for granted.
How else will he figure it out other than probing at the edges?
Quote:
You specified that his parents were fairly hands off and defferential and let him have a lot of trust independence, and I've been trying to play that... but there are also limits to that.
I did say Peter's parents both work, so he has always been very "free range" and they've given him lots of latitude in his life choices, but when they are in the room, they are calling the shots, especially in matters that involve the family safety. This isn't whether or not to get a paper route. Feel free to firm them up... Peter will need something to rebel against soon enough ;)

I've actually been a bit surprised his parents haven't been a bit bolder, given that they are the role model's for Peter's confidence!

I understand (and appreciate) the desire to maintain player agency, but Peter is a good son, and the grownups are here.

Quote:
Also, Great Uncle Bob is fun to play.
I'm delighted that there's a "Grunklebob" and I'm sure we will be seeing more of him... Starting to think we might start driving there now...

Peter wanted to get back to the Broken World after Christmas, but it looks like there is a mess to untangle at home. Cue Peter's anxiety they will go back to mistreating peasants and kidnapping Earthlings without an Emissary to keep them in line.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-14-2024 at 11:33 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:40 AM   #273
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
'Giants, alien monkeys and dwarves.... Why am I even surprised?'
Yeah, that bit is news for Peter, but not for you.

I'm surprised that Peter hasn't dealt with Aliens or demihumans (or whatever you want to call fantasy species) yet. Some of that is perspective though: I've found that if you describe radically different cosmetic features on a humanoid its not deterministic if the player thinks they're a new species or just a different looking human.

By contrast, Julian has seen both in two worlds. Though he's been short on Gods and Spirits.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-01-2024, 10:06 AM   #274
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Then Peter is actually on a very similar but incorrect world. On Peter's Earth, it's a week from 2015.
I fixed it.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:35 AM   #275
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Yeah, that bit is news for Peter, but not for you.

I'm surprised that Peter hasn't dealt with Aliens or demihumans (or whatever you want to call fantasy species) yet. Some of that is perspective though: I've found that if you describe radically different cosmetic features on a humanoid its not deterministic if the player thinks they're a new species or just a different looking human.

By contrast, Julian has seen both in two worlds. Though he's been short on Gods and Spirits.
The boys and their adventures are certainly an interesting contrast on many levels to be sure!
Old 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM   #276
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Kal-Mor listens, and then says:
"I do not have my full abilities at the moment, and I have not seen you dream. I can tell you a few things though. You are not truly interacting with dreams: what you see is too real, and too literal for that. And then you use them to traverse worlds. You must have some part of you that requires deep isolation and relaxation to use its power. These dreams are not sent by someone else: they appear to be a part of what you are."
I had forgotten the dream god Kal-Mor said this... Peter must be skeptical of it with his talking about the PTB...
Old 04-05-2024, 10:18 AM   #277
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I was tempted to put them on the same world here, but I don't think Julian's story here is quite done... though it probably is wrapping up. I'm also not sure if Julian is ready to meet with Peter yet.

Quote:
I had forgotten the dream god Kal-Mor said this... Peter must be skeptical of it with his talking about the PTB...
Must be. PTB isn't a bad theory.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:23 PM   #278
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
"And I didn't even do anything to help fix things! The only reason the Starpus were recovered at all was because I was so crucial to the plan, they had no way to proceed! I just blundered around, doing nothing particularly moral or capable, and I still get rewarded? WHY?!"
Julian is a seeker, a screamer, and an astropic all in one.

He'll be able to name his price!
Old 04-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #279
TGLS

Quote:
Julian is a seeker, a screamer, and an astropic all in one.

He'll be able to name his price!
Well, on a logical level, he could understand that's why he's being treated this way, but emotionally he can't understand it. His perception of his self worth is broken, even in very lopsided situations like this. So instead he needs to other reasons that aren't "you are special" to justify why he's being treated. And this is directly at odds with that; he didn't do anything morally good, nor did he do the concordance a service.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:14 AM   #280
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well, on a logical level, he could understand that's why he's being treated this way, but emotionally he can't understand it. His perception of his self worth is broken, even in very lopsided situations like this. So instead he needs to other reasons that aren't "you are special" to justify why he's being treated. And this is directly at odds with that; he didn't do anything morally good, nor did he do the concordance a service.

Interestingly, Ypress is going to do his best to overcome this, but for completely self-serving reasons.

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams