Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-20-2024, 08:49 PM   #231
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
At a couple points, they have to pick up goliath: fortunately he avoids peeing anywhere Finally they head out, and as Peter says "double time it" out of town.
This is pretty comical when you consider that Goliath significantly outweighs Peter
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:03 AM   #232
the_matrix_walker

Speaking of Peter's weight... I meant to increase his height an inch a while back, and he is probably due to go up another one to 5'6".

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter started at 14 (and we'll call it and a half, so he's nearly 15) and is a bit of a late bloomer, but is hitting his growth spurt. Let's call his full-grown height 6'2". So we should probably add 1 inch now to 5'5" and add an inch per 2 months until he hits 6 feet... -ish

Leonbergers are full grown at a year, so let's say Goliath is about two and a half years old.

He started at 5'4" 122lbs. How would you say his nutrition has been? Should we add 2 inches and 16-ish lbs to Peter's vitals?
Old 02-23-2024, 08:06 AM   #233
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Speaking of Peter's weight... I meant to increase his height an inch a while back, and he is probably due to go up another one to 5'6".

He started at 5'4" 122lbs. How would you say his nutrition has been? Should we add 2 inches and 16-ish lbs to Peter's vitals?
Most of his time has been with Kumar... that would give him decent nutrition and a really physical existence.

How long has it been since the first jump?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:29 AM   #234
the_matrix_walker

We didn't list a date for when he started, other than the mention that it was the month of May... So 7 months have passed.

Goliath is FULLY Grown... I gave him a half inch of shoulder height over the normal listed range.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:55 AM   #235
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Thanks for the reference.

Might be fun to add a level of ST and skinny at the same time, to indicate "Shooting up". And active teenagers are notoriously skinny.

Quote:
Yes indeed, Thuroma itself.

Since Peter hit his bed a few times in a row, I've been assuming that...

... Drifting has been gone for a while, and I assumed that Unconscious Only was too (both because of the implied order and that Peter has been able to steer it consciously). So the big question has been... when does the boy get to keep his clothes? I've been curious for a decade what you have in mind for what might be added after Naked comes off the build!

And this is Peter's 20th Dream Jump! When does the boy get to keep his pants?

Quote:
You will be able to improve the you jumper by removing Unconscious Only, drifting, then naked, and you will be able to add some abilities as well. Uncontrollable, preparation, and only when sleeping are permanently part of the ability (and plot).
Dang, that's a really old post! I'd forgotten a lot of that stuff.

In lost in dreams I've always treated the package a little differently than purchased abilities, kind of feeling my way through how it works. When I do it for 10 years, that means I can forget things.

You're right, he's worked off drifting at this point. And I've been playing loose with Unconscious only, now its more like unreliable (which is weirdly usually a higher limitation than unconscious... lets set the activation at 11)

I'm surprised I thought naked would be gone so soon. I'll have to figure something out...

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-24-2024, 04:50 PM   #236
the_matrix_walker

I made so many changes, I decided to delete and repost.

Quote:
Might be fun to add a level of ST and skinny at the same time, to indicate "Shooting up". And active teenagers are notoriously skinny.
I could certainly see Peter being low weight for his sprouting height. We could add 3 inches to his height and keep his weight constant.

ST is not the first attribute I would raise tho. Peter's Will and Per are meant to be kind of prelude to his adult IQ, and with all the new perspectives and ways of thinking he's been exposed to, I'd probably start there. Followed by his HT or increasing His Fit to Very Fit from the constant high level of physical activity Peter's been under for over half a year. I'd consider that catching up, Then ST, IQ, ST, buy off BS Penalty, ST and a point of DX over the next year to two. I see those as Peter's base adult Attribute build pattern as pretty much the plan from character creation (everything except the Fit improvement that is).

I have quite the growing list of backlogged skills I would like to add to Peter at this point, (And I really want to by him a Destiny point too) so given the scale of the game, updating attributes really doesn't seem to be in the cards. (I still think the easiest solution is to find a way to stop Peter from aging...you may recall I once suggested that we find a way to contrive that when I realized the timeline wasn't working. :D )

If you want to intervene and make changes, I'm cool with that! If you want to balance it by adding disadvantages, it's not hard to come up with a menu of possible options for a rough adolescence:
  • Teens are notoriously Lecherous.
  • Gluttony from wanting to be stocked up in case he jumps and savoring food when he has the chance and doesn't have to eat grubs (not to mention the teenagers always eating trope).
  • As a result of his evolving dream powers he might start Sleepwalking.
  • His habits of mental exercises might give him headaches or he might develop insomnia which could potentially slow his travels down quite a bit.
Additionally, I could see Peter as having a never written down Selfless disadvantage.
Spoiler:  

Quote:
In lost in dreams I've always treated the package a little differently than purchased abilities, kind of feeling my way through how it works. When I do it for 10 years, that means I can forget things.
I get that it is more of a campaign setting than a typical advantage possessed by the character, and I will stop asking about the package, it's contents, when and if it can be updated, modified, manipulated, or used with Extra Effort or Stunts. I get the picture.

Peter's Overconfidence ensures he will be convinced he can use his power on command anyway ...unless he cannot.
Quote:
I'm surprised I thought naked would be gone so soon. I'll have to figure something out...
Forget what I said before, and I apologize if I am coming off any sort of way (or did before editing this post). Please don't think any erroneous expectation on my part constitutes my taking any issue with your choices or storytelling. I adore the game and refresh the page regularly for another morsel, and any limitation you like can stay on there forever... You don't really "have to figure something out" any more than you did before, we can totally play it by ear.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #237
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I made so many changes, I decided to delete and repost.
I think I saw the original. I read long before I post. Its all good.

Quote:
I could certainly see Peter being low weight for his sprouting height. We could add 3 inches to his height and keep his weight constant.
Done.

Quote:
ST is not the first attribute I would raise tho. Peter's Will and Per are meant to be kind of prelude to his adult IQ, and with all the new perspectives and ways of thinking he's been exposed to, I'd probably start there. Followed by his HT or increasing His Fit to Very Fit from the constant high level of physical activity Peter's been under for over half a year. I'd consider that catching up, Then ST, IQ, ST, buy off BS Penalty, ST and a point of DX over the next year to two. I see those as Peter's base adult Attribute build pattern as pretty much the plan from character creation (everything except the Fit improvement that is).
That's good input. It might go well with some of the stuff I have planned for Peter coming up. And Lost in dreams is supposed to be "Zero to Hero". Or perhaps coming of age/powers, which is currently reinforced by the young teenage condition of our cast.

Quote:
I have quite the growing list of backlogged skills I would like to add to Peter at this point, (And I really want to by him a Destiny point too) so given the scale of the game, updating attributes really doesn't seem to be in the cards. (I still think the easiest solution is to find a way to stop Peter from aging...you may recall I once suggested that we find a way to contrive that when I realized the timeline wasn't working. :D )

If you want to intervene and make changes, I'm cool with that! If you want to balance it by adding disadvantages, it's not hard to come up with a menu of possible options for a rough adolescence:
  • Teens are notoriously Lecherous.
  • Gluttony from wanting to be stocked up in case he jumps and savoring food when he has the chance and doesn't have to eat grubs (not to mention the teenagers always eating trope).
  • As a result of his evolving dream powers he might start Sleepwalking.
  • His habits of mental exercises might give him headaches or he might develop insomnia which could potentially slow his travels down quite a bit.
I think I want to make changes. I'll keep that list in mind. Plus skinny. When we increase ST or HT we need to add skinny. We can do IQ first though. At least the first part of it.

Quote:

Additionally, I could see Peter as having a never written down Selfless disadvantage.
He leaned that way to start with, but I'd think he's really transformed that way over his journeys are acquired that in play. Before he was just kind of helpful and kind. Now he actively goes looking for who he is supposed to help. He might also qualify for Delusion (A higher power guides me to help people).

Go ahead and Take selfless in conjunction with +1 IQ!

Quote:
I had a horrible thought... Evil Twin.

I had this terrible vision of Peter's dark mirror who did travel with clothing... because he didn't help the Rider on his first jump and ended up eating his Goliath to survive and has his pelt-tunic and bone-tool/weapons as sig gear (since he accompanies him on jumps).

Nooooooooooooo.

I'm not sure if i want to say I'm not serious, or that I actually want to play him too...
We haven't explored where you guys come from much yet, or what you look like in alternate universes (though I think Peter has confirmed his parents are childless on clock-work adjacent earth). I've certainly thought about it.

There is ummm... another source of twins though.

Quote:
I get that it is more of a campaign setting than a typical advantage possessed by the character, and I will stop asking about the package, it's contents, when and if it can be updated, modified, manipulated, or used with Extra Effort or Stunts. I get the picture.
Please don't, Its good for me to go back and keep my promises. Working towards keeping clothes and pocket contents is interesting

Quote:
Peter's Overconfidence ensures he will be convinced he can use his power on command anyway ...unless he cannot.
And most the time he's trying to follow the active effect anyways...

Quote:
Forget what I said before, and I apologize if I am coming off any sort of way (or did before editing this post). Please don't think any erroneous expectation on my part constitutes my taking any issue with your choices or storytelling. I adore the game and refresh the page regularly for another morsel, and any limitation you like can stay on there forever... You don't really "have to figure something out" any more than you did before, we can totally play it by ear.
You didn't come off in any sort of way. I'm just astonished I'd forgotten I intended naked to come off. Its nice to keep the worlds sanitized, though obviously magic leaks between them.

Go ahead and mark that drifting and uncounsious only are gone, and add unreliable CR 11 to the sheet. And selfless and +1 IQ.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:44 AM   #238
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
What am I doing with my life? Am I just going from stealing Starpus to stealing something else next? When will it stop?
I was just thinking that if we did want to do a crossover, we could do something where they had to pull off a criminal enterprise since it is an area Peter would be a total novice in, but Julian would navigate with practiced skill.

But now that seems a bit sad...
Old 02-26-2024, 02:30 PM   #239
TGLS

Quote:
We haven't explored where you guys come from much yet, or what you look like in alternate universes.
Well, we haven't, but I have (ohoho). I'm half divided between Julian being unique (on account of being from a weird close parallel or because his mother was also a dreamer who got yanked away after giving birth), or having alternate versions. I came up with a few alternate possibilities, including:
- A version where he wasn't orphaned (or was perhaps adopted)
- A version where his carer (Wyatt Beatty) isn't a monster. Probably make Julian think he's gone mad.
- A version where he was unable to pay Beatty and he got sold off to "extract value"

If you really wanted to break Julian you could have him not be orphaned on Homeline and only bring it up after he gets used to Homeline's idea of "We're the real timeline".

Quote:
There is ummm... another source of twins though.
Ah, yes. Send in the clones. Though given that there's no blip tricks going on that seems to be a longer term thing.

Quote:
Please don't, Its good for me to go back and keep my promises. Working towards keeping clothes and pocket contents is interesting
It's probably not worth a lot less than -30%, but "some clothes" and "clothes, but no load" are probably good incremental steps in-between. No encumbrance

Quote:
I was just thinking that if we did want to do a crossover, we could do something where they had to pull off a criminal enterprise since it is an area Peter would be a total novice in, but Julian would navigate with practiced skill.

But now that seems a bit sad...
Well, it's part of the tension of the character.

Julian doesn't particularly like being a thief. This is why when he was on Riask he didn't even consider shoplifting clothes. Then, when he was being dragged off to some fate by Reslin, he was all, "Yeah, I'll steal his watch and change the time."

The same thing applied for the Starpus heist. He didn't really think of it as "stealing" the Starpus. He was "rescuing" the Starpus from their poor deal. He was doing this because it was the right thing to do, not because he didn't want to be dumped off in a creche flat broke with no skills. Royal and Co. made it real easy for him not to confront this problem, so when someone actually wants him to feel bad about his decision, they smash right through his self deceptive ******** and make him feel bad.

The key disadvantage in all this is Low Self Image. He can't say, "I'm bad at stealing things" because that's obviously untrue. Instead he says, "I'm good at stealing things, so I'm bad." To some extent, that's actually true. When he's pushed (by the world, or maybe eventually, himself), he decides, "I guess I have to be a bad person now" and steal anyway.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:03 PM   #240
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Well, we haven't, but I have (ohoho). I'm half divided between Julian being unique (on account of being from a weird close parallel or because his mother was also a dreamer who got yanked away after giving birth), or having alternate versions. I came up with a few alternate possibilities, including:
- A version where he wasn't orphaned (or was perhaps adopted)
- A version where his carer (Wyatt Beatty) isn't a monster. Probably make Julian think he's gone mad.
- A version where he was unable to pay Beatty and he got sold off to "extract value"

If you really wanted to break Julian you could have him not be orphaned on Homeline and only bring it up after he gets used to Homeline's idea of "We're the real timeline".
Julian is so dang dark...

Mom was a dreamer? was that signed off on? Do we know that's been around for a generation in the game lore to even be possible?
Quote:
It's probably not worth a lot less than -30%, but "some clothes" and "clothes, but no load" are probably good incremental steps in-between. No encumbrance
The limitations are maxed out by the permanent limitations anyway, so none of the removable limitations coming off will impact the point value. If enhancements come along, the price will go up tho... Not sure we would have to actually pay it, but the value would increase.

Quote:
The key disadvantage in all this is Low Self Image. He can't say, "I'm bad at stealing things" because that's obviously untrue. Instead he says, "I'm good at stealing things, so I'm bad." To some extent, that's actually true. When he's pushed (by the world, or maybe eventually, himself), he decides, "I guess I have to be a bad person now" and steal anyway.
Low Self Image is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy to make that the case, isn't it? He is bad at things, because has a -3 whenever the pressure is on or if it's hard. That's not a small penalty. A -3 penalty pretty much whenever it really counts? That is a Nasty disad there. Self-Loathing isn't inherently a part of the Low Self Image disadvantage, but it's a fine roleplaying choice. IMO

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams