Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #661
griffin

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'd highly recommend the books. More specifically, I'd recommend the audiobooks read by James Marsters, I'm absolutely hooked on them.

I would not recommend the TV show very highly, I only watched the pilot, but it had little more than a passing resemblance to the books in my opinion.
Too late. I've watched the first two or three Dresden Files TV shows and I'm hooked. It fits the style of shows I like. I'm a big fan of Buffy and Angel. I liked the original Nightstalker. I find Supernatural and the Forever Knight to be watchable but that's about it. I loved Highlander the Series - much more than any of the movies, including the first one which was the best.

I do plan on reading the Dresden files books.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #662
walkir

Whenerver I hear that title, I think of Primeval... I might try such a campaign with it, if it's supported.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #663
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Too late. I've watched the first two or three Dresden Files TV shows and I'm hooked. It fits the style of shows I like. I'm a big fan of Buffy and Angel. I liked the original Nightstalker. I find Supernatural and the Forever Knight to be watchable but that's about it. I loved Highlander the Series - much more than any of the movies, including the first one which was the best.

I do plan on reading the Dresden files books.
I didn't like a lot of the liberties they took with the books (although Bob being a ghost rather than always having been a spirit works for me), but Blackthorne was an exceptionally good piece of casting.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #664
tg_ambro

We're about two posts away from having 666 replies . . . on the day of the Supermoon, no less. Hopefully RPK will deliver us a new hint/info/awesomness or more fully explain the present he did leave us last?

*Fingers crossed.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #665
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
Harry Dresden, Wizard. He's in the phonebook. :)

I've added Harry Dresden to the roster. Excellent suggestion.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #666
vitruvian

Quote:
I've added Harry Dresden to the roster. Excellent suggestion.
Of course, there are problems with him and the White Council he reports to existing in the same world as a surviving Willow, considering how many of the Laws of Magic she's broken... but no more so than the inconsistencies between the vampires Buffy and Blade fight, and Angel is, I suppose.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #667
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
We're about two posts away from having 666 replies . . . on the day of the Supermoon, no less. Hopefully RPK will deliver us a new hint/info/awesomness or more fully explain the present he did leave us last?

*Fingers crossed.
Hint in sig, as a single key word . . .

[EDIT: Note that sig has changed since -- of course, now there's an entirely new MH section on my site that, as of this writing, I don't think anyone has noticed. Hehe, I is sneaky.]

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 03-21-2011 at 06:46 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #668
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Egon Spengler
Quote:
I'm not familiar with any of these.
Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters (1984)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #669
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters (1984)
Source is too comedic for what I have in mind.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #670
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Of course, there are problems with him and the White Council he reports to existing in the same world as a surviving Willow, considering how many of the Laws of Magic she's broken... but no more so than the inconsistencies between the vampires Buffy and Blade fight, and Angel is, I suppose.
With different characters from different settings, I'd not care much about issues like that since the setting would need to be changed. I'd use this team for a modern day campaign or more likely mainly in demoes of GURPS as being able to pull off cinematic action style games.

For personal use what I'm planning is Monster Hunters 2060 (working title). It would use GURPS Cyberworld as the base setting but would have Night City from RT Games Cyberpunk 2020 as the main campaign city. Night City renamed as Knight City and created by Knight Industries (from Knight Rider TV series). The Robocop program created by OCP (from Robocop movies) has become operational with a small number of robocops on duty in Knight City after seeing success on a few cities already -- including New Detriot. I'll borrow from GURPS Cyberpunk, Bio-Tech (with emphasis on cyberware but with some genetic engineering and soft-tissue tech). Cyberware gained acceptance and funding quicker and is more advanced than genetech.

Drop in the fantastic and horror elements incorporating ideas from various shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Supernatural, The Dresden Files, Night Stalker, Charmed, and Forever Knight. Many of these have conflicts so I'll pick and choose as I please. For instance the Watcher Council will handle training and managing Slayers (one in each region rather than ONE in each generation) and watching immortals. The MIB exist and would be taken from GURPS Black Ops - greatly toned down and somewhat decimated in recent years, as well as from Conspiracy X (two sometimes competing organizations). Wolfram and Hart from Angel would be replaced by Arasaka as the main villian organization (the created a program called Soulkiller, they really need to be a demonic organization). It would have ties to the cabal and most likely be run by a powerful demon or vampire. I would dump 90% of the gangs listed in the Night City Sourcebook and replace or transform the rest. For instance, Fangs of Justice would be mostly a human gang of altered vampire posers. But a few members really are vampires. The Golden Knights are actually a small gang of monster hunters though they also deal with mundane issues from time to time.

The White Council may exist, but it certainly wouldn't be at all limited to the depiction from the Dresden Files. It would more than likely be influenced by my own campaigns needs and sources I like such as Angel/Buffy and Charmed (I'm not a big follower of Charmed but I've caught a few episodes).

Last edited by griffin; 03-19-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: change wording

Tags
monster hunters