Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #101
adm

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

1 and 4, although they could be more spiritual, it is just the evil ones who tend to find this attractive, thus Tok'ra are rare.

Varyon's Idea could work very well.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:07 AM   #102
Prince Charon

OK, so looking at the various answers, I'm going to post a second Goa'Uld question to clarify the results of the first one, and then either this weekend or around Mondayish, I'll post the revised Time Period Question II.

Goa'Uld Question II

Since there isn't much consensus, should we treat 3 as the main answer, with the other choices being the more common examples (so, some are shapeshifting naga wizards, some are physical parasitic beings who made deals, et cetra)? EDIT: Please answer YES in all caps or NO in all caps.

Answer: OK, five votes for YES, and one for NO. YES wins.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 10-03-2022 at 06:09 AM.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:52 AM   #103
adm

That can work.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #104
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post

Goa'Uld Question II

Since there isn't much consensus, should we treat 3 as the main answer, with the other choices being the more common examples (so, some are shapeshifting naga wizards, some are physical parasitic beings who made deals, et cetra)?

Answer:
I'd be concerned about making things too complicated if you get different threats every session.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #105
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'd be concerned about making things too complicated if you get different threats every session.
If anyone is actually going to run this "built by unassociated online committee" game, I agree - best to have the Goa'uld be a single type of foe, and then use other foes when you want a change. On the other hand, even if you make them have multiple types, there's nothing saying you can't have two or more of the same type. Maybe Ra, Apophis, and Hathor are all one type, Ba'al and Ares are a different type, etc (or group them by pantheon). So if you want a change, this particular Goa'uld is actually a shapeshifter instead of the typical astral parasite, or whatever, but if you don't want to rock the boat too much, just reuse the same type you did last time (or just have the SGC up against Apophis for several seasons, like the show did). In such a setting, "Goa'uld" would presumably be the title for their dysfunctional alliance (initially under Ra, but with plenty of other system lords scrambling to fill the power vacuum once he gets nuked), rather than the term for their species (as there's now more than one). The Tok'Ra could be an opposing alliance, made up of many of the same species that compose the Goa'uld, that disagrees with the Goa'uld's exploitative methods.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #106
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If anyone is actually going to run this "built by unassociated online committee" game...

I mean, I ran a couple of games in "vote up a space opera".

Its also worth noting that the most useful part of that project were all of the alien race submissions.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #107
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I mean, I ran a couple of games in "vote up a space opera".
How did that go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its also worth noting that the most useful part of that project were all of the alien race submissions.
Should I treat that as a YES? Also, edited the question to add something that I obviously forgot to include, sorry about that.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 09-29-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #108
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
How did that go?
It went pretty well. It was the first game I ran a game other than play by post in about 10 years, and the first time I was playing with random people from the internet, so those issues dominated the game more than the setting. The setup of the game focused in on combat, and had a custom ultra-tech armor system, so the actual setting was not terribly visible to the players... but it was visible to me, and helped me come up with what mission came next.

The context was the players are modern people who have been taken by aliens who really can't fight, augmented with nano-tech, and used as space marines.

The campaign ended as we realized we wanted a less combat heavy game and moved on to something else. I refer to that game as "Boarders from Earth". It was something of a mess, not because of the setting, but because of player churn and the GM still finding his feet.

Quote:
Should I treat that as a YES? Also, edited the question to add something that I obviously forgot to include.
YES.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #109
TGLS

I'll go with a YES
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #110
Prince Charon

OK, if I'm reading the responses correctly, that's three for YES, one that's probably NO, and one (Varyon's) that is unclear to me whether that's a YES or a NO. So, YES probably wins, unless there are new votes (or corrections or clarifications to existing votes) before I post the new Time Period Question tomorrow.

-- Tacitus

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding