Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-09-2022, 01:19 AM   #1
emigio

Default Curses abaut losing items and items in hand

this is the FAQ

Q. If you have to lose Items, do you lose the ones from your hand, or just those on the table?
A. If the card does not specify where the discards come from, you may discard from either.

I know i can discard items from my hand but if i don't have items in play, am i a FORCED to discard items from hand?

ex. I am cursed with "lose one small item", i don't have items in table but i have in hand. Am I forced to discard an item from hand?

discussion born from munchkin digital forum https://steamcommunity.com/app/17228...scn=1670525264
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Curses abaut losing items and items in hand

If the curse does not specify in play or equipped, then yes you would have to discard an item in your hand.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
emigio

waiting for an official reply. I point out that is impossiple to verify if a player have an item in hand (in the real game)
Old 12-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
Draqwla

Wait a minute. But after all, cards with a price tag that are in hand are not yet considered items! It's usually written in the basic rules of sets...
Draqwla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
emigio

and i agree with you, but for developer of munchkin digital and Mr draco it is not so obvius, so i need an official reply about the topic
Old 12-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

It's a tough question and we're working on it.

Tough in that it has far reaching consequences if we want it to be a consistent rule rather than just random rules because we want them to work a certain way.

As of right now, rules-wise, the cards in your hand are *things* when you want them to be, and just cards when you don't. So we're discussing things.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
It's a tough question
That is why I didn't try to answer it. In most questions, we have said that cards in your hand are just cards, not items, unless you are selling or trading them. This FAQ answer is saying that items in your hand can be targeted too, even when the curse in question does not specify it can target hand cards.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
emigio

the problem is that you can't look at items on hand of a player (that is why the rule always was they are cards and not items). In the opposite case you can lie (and have to) saying you don't have items in your hand (so you don't have to discard them) and nobody can tell you anything (because they can't look at your cards). So i suggest to change the reply to that FAQ that bring only confusion

Last edited by emigio; 12-12-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:22 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
the problem is that you can't look at items on hand of a player (that is why the rule always was they are cards and not items). In the opposite case you can lie (and have to) saying you don't have items in your hand (so you don't have to discard them) and nobody can tell you anything (because they can't look at your cards). So i suggest to change the reply to that FAQ that bring only confusion
But thing is, if you lie and get caught (which you will), you will have problems getting people to play with you again. I know in my group, things like this is a quick and easy way to make sure you're not invited again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:46 AM   #10
emigio

the munchkin dev has litteraly said "As of right now, rules-wise, the cards in your hand are *things* when you want them to be, and just cards when you don't. So we're discussing things." 4 posts ago

Last edited by emigio; 12-15-2022 at 03:09 AM.