Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #101
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Rules you ignore/alter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
I think Parry Missile Weapons should be a maneuver instead of a separate skill. Hard, with no default, with some suitable penalty off of the base weapon skill.

If you want to use this ability with multiple weapons, you take the maneuver with each skill.

I did it this way in a martial arts heavy game years ago and it worked out well. I haven't tried it since.
I did something similar without removing the skill. The skill is great in a 'improvised' sense that you can use all sorts of things to parry with, but each skill can also take the technique directly. I think I used a -4, but only one player ever took it, so I don't recall.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:08 AM   #102
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
DR seems obvious for thick-skinned creatures like bears/crocodiles or if there's a turtle shell, I actually can't think of where I've seen a "Visible" limitation for DR except for the force field spells in PAWS.

At first I thought "what if No Signature was built into Force Field?" for those, but Force Field actually costs less than No Sig so that can't be the case...

Assuming that force fields are invisible by default (and 'translucent' if Visible -10%) is kinda strange to me, I always assumed they'd be somewhat visible.

Maybe it's situation-dependent? Like perhaps by default force fields are "invisible at rest, visible when attacks hit them" but if you take "visible" then they're "visible at rest" too?

A similar contrast could exist for Innate Attacks too:
1) capacity to attack is invisible
2) attacks are visible

That way you could take EITHER modifier:
a) "no signature" to make attacks invisible too
b) "visible" to make CAPACITY to attack visible too

That's sort of how TK works: inherently your CAPACITY to attack is invisible (an invisible hand) but if you take Visible then you have a visible hand.
Here's what Kromm had to state on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Damage Resistance is normally "always on," per the first paragraph of Turning Advantages Off and On (p. B34). It has no crippling bulk or appearance issues by default, so "it never inconveniences you."

There's little value to being able to switch DR on and off. You must still add Switchable, +10% if you wish to do that, though. Presumably, if you want such a feature, you have ways of making it useful. You can balance that cost with Nuisance Effect and so on to get DR at +0% that's funny-looking or bulky when on, out of the way when off. This isn't a net drawback, because once again, it has its uses. If nothing else, it's really annoying to have to subtract DR from the HT rolls for beneficial Afflictions, or to turn aside hypodermics when you need to be immunized against plagues!

Finally, you can take limitations that shut down or reduce the availability of your DR. These are most often such things as Accessibility and Uncontrollable. If you have a drawback like that, then you don't need Switchable as well.

See also the uFAQ compilation on trait visibility.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #103
AlexanderHowl

Interesting, I had never really thought that DR was invisible by RAW. That makes DR much more valuable as an ability then, as its invisibility gives it a massive advantage over DR from equipment.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #104
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Interesting, I had never really thought that DR was invisible by RAW. That makes DR much more valuable as an ability then, as its invisibility gives it a massive advantage over DR from equipment.
"No crippling bulk or appearance" =/= "No bulk or appearance" in English, does it? Or am I the one misunderstanding the Kromm quote?

I mean, we need to be careful anyway; it was a quote about Switchable, so everything needs to be understood in that context. Reading the quote, though, I just take it there's nothing about default DR that gets in your way, at least in terms of game mechanics. With exceptions for stuff such as Afflictions.

DR without No Signature or Low Signature doesn't automatically have to be cripplingly bulky, or have a crippling appearance... but I'm not seeing anything that suggests it isn't perceivable.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 08-12-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #105
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
DR without No Signature or Low Signature doesn't automatically have to be cripplingly bulky, or have a crippling appearance... but I'm not seeing anything that suggests it isn't perceivable.
DR has the visibility of a generic advantage; it's not inherently more or less visible than something like high pain threshold.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #106
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
DR has the visibility of a generic advantage; it's not inherently more or less visible than something like high pain threshold.
That would mean every template where DR represents visible armor rather than something esoteric is missing out on claiming a visibility discount...
Old 08-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #107
AlexanderHowl

Perhaps a -20% Visibility modifier would be justified? If people see the armor, they will bring out the big guns, special ammo, or just go for the eyes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #108
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That would mean every template where DR represents visible armor rather than something esoteric is missing out on claiming a visibility discount...
The discount for being visible is generally the same as the reaction adjustment for the template; if you're likely to surprise people with your DR, there's also the possibility of requiring a UB.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #109
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Perhaps a -20% Visibility modifier would be justified? If people see the armor, they will bring out the big guns, special ammo, or just go for the eyes.
I don't see it has a problem to treat DR as fairly obvious. You certainly shouldn't look normal if your skin can bounce lasers or bullets. Without a Low/No Signature, it certainly wouldn't pass a casual inspection.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #110
CeeDub

In space, I treat Move as acceleration, not as top speed. For example, a character has Basic Speed 5, Space Flight, and Enhanced Move (Space) 3. That would put his top Move at 80, but instead, I treat it as a maximum acceleration of 80 meters (or yards, if you must) per second squared, just over 8G. I then impose an arbitrary speed limit of .1c, .25c or even .5c, so I don't have to deal with all the wonky stuff that happens when you go real fast. :)
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, fixed, house rules, rules