Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Jerander

Default [Powers] How fast is Reflexive?

Quick (?) question: How fast is Reflexive? Is it fast enough to active a defense it time to block the current/incoming attack, or does it activate after the current attack, thereby offering no protection to the current attack, but protection to the next attack?

For example, someone with DR (Reflexive) turned off is attacked with a sword. Does the DR block the damage from that first sword strike?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Powers] How fast is Reflexive?

If the target has no other modifiers and is unaware of the attack, the DR activates immediately after the first hit.

If the target has no other modifiers and IS aware of the attack, treat it as a power dodge roll to turn the DR on. If the target succeeds, they have DR. Failure means no DR for the first hit.

If the target has a cosmic modifier, then it activates before ANYTHING hits them, even if they are asleep.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
If the target has no other modifiers and is unaware of the attack, the DR activates immediately after the first hit.

If the target has no other modifiers and IS aware of the attack, treat it as a power dodge roll to turn the DR on. If the target succeeds, they have DR. Failure means no DR for the first hit.

If the target has a cosmic modifier, then it activates before ANYTHING hits them, even if they are asleep.
Cosmic what?

Each instance of cosmic is for a specific bending of the rules or defense thereof. To make a defense react without a roll with reflexive would be about the same as having a dodge that worked without a roll. That would probably be "no die roll required" +100%.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Cosmic what?

Each instance of cosmic is for a specific bending of the rules or defense thereof. To make a defense react without a roll with reflexive would be about the same as having a dodge that worked without a roll. That would probably be "no die roll required" +100%.
Probably the right one. I just don't have the right Power-Ups book to say if it's that cosmic or some other cosmic modifier. I'd still go with the no die roll required, though.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
DangerousThing

Quote:
Probably the right one. I just don't have the right Power-Ups book to say if it's that cosmic or some other cosmic modifier. I'd still go with the no die roll required, though.
It might be, but I don't think it fits exactly. Perhaps that's part of the puzzle.

The defense would also need some way of knowing what an attack was. I tend to be stingy with cosmic unless the character is a cosmic entity, of which there are only a couple of kinds in my universe (Dreens and those touched by the powers of the Ancient Ones). Other than those, there are no cosmic modifiers in my universes.

If the defense knew an attack was on the way without rolling, then it would activate. Perhaps Cosmic Danger Sense +100% - +200%

Though my favorite cosmic if you have powerful chi, magic, whatever, is cosmic: No rule of 16. I love my Power Ups 4: Enhancements. I wish they'd do a limitations book though.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:

Do you have a reference for this? Seems extremely dumb to bother with reflexive on a defensive trait if it doesn't protect you from the attack, especially given that on your turn you could activate it as a free action with only Reduced Time.

This interpretation also renders the Invulnerability build (using Insubstantiality) in Powers nonsensical, as you would flicker uselessly after being hit.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Reflexive on anything that is not a sense acts as 1 level of enhanced time sense. It allows for power dodges and removes the -10 for being unprepared when using Warp to blink away from danger.

I would, however, be comfortable with Reflexive on Danger Sense allowing your defense to automatically activate, even if you're asleep (Reflexive specifically states that it wakes you up).
Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Quote:
Reflexive on anything that is not a sense acts as 1 level of enhanced time sense. It allows for power dodges and removes the -10 for being unprepared when using Warp to blink away from danger.

I would, however, be comfortable with Reflexive on Danger Sense allowing your defense to automatically activate, even if you're asleep (Reflexive specifically states that it wakes you up).
Could you please tell me where to find this information?

I just searched electronically through Powers and only found the Power Dodge for an automatic unconscious activation, and 1 level of Reduced Time for a conscious activation.

Last edited by DangerousThing; 07-04-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Could you please tell me where to find this information?

I just searched electronically through Powers and only found the Power Dodge for an automatic unconscious activation, and 1 level of Reduced Time for a conscious activation.
Powers, p109 has the actual definition of Reflexive.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
DangerousThing

Quote:
Powers, p109 has the actual definition of Reflexive.
Yes, and it says nothing about ETS. Powers, p. 167, talks about the Power Dodge.

Page 109 states that reflexive acts as a level of reduced time for conscious activation, which has nothing to do with ETS. Reduced time is defined in Basic, p. 108.

Is there something I'm missing?

Tags
danger sense, reflexive