Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Ritual Path Magic FAQ and Answers Thread

So does this look right?

"Bow of the Ancestors

Lesser Create Matter (Produces a Bow)
Lesser Create Matter (Produces Arrows)
Lesser Control Matter (Guides the arrows to their targets)
Lesser Strengthen Matter (increases the damage and helps the arrow punch through defenses)
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, Damage Enhancements, Range, subject weight.

When this ritual is enacted, a mystic bow appears in the hand of the subject. For the duration, when the bowstring is drawn back, an arrow materializes knocked and ready to be fired in the same action. The magic of the spell helps guide the arrow to its target as long as they are within range of the spell.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Lesser Strengthen Matter (3) + Bestows a Moderate Bonus, to hit and Damage +4 (16) + Enhancement; Armor Divsor /2 (10) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 50 yards (8) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs (0). 55 energy (55x1)."

I don't need to include the arrow damage and should just base it on a mundane shot, because "that's how a bow works" and the magic effectively removes the need to ready the bow normally within its effects. I need subject weight, not for the bowman, but for the amount of matter needed to create the bow and arrows... Is that about right?

I like the energy arrow notion too... I think it would be pretty funny to have an adept set out to replicate the kids magic weapons on the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Lesser Create Matter (Produces a Bow)
Yes. Correct.

Quote:
Lesser Create Matter (Produces Arrows)
You can include this in the above or simply ignore it. It's creating the arrows because that's what the spell does and they aren't physical or anything. This is represented by the damage modifer.

Quote:
Lesser Control Matter (Guides the arrows to their targets)
This is just the Guided enhancement on the damage you're doing. Normally, Enhancements can only be added to the Damage modifier but in this case you're using Bestows a Bonus AS a Damage because this is a conjured weapon so I'd say it's ok.

Quote:
Lesser Strengthen Matter (increases the damage and helps the arrow punch through defenses)
This is just an enhancement as above.

Quote:
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, Damage Enhancements, Range, subject weight.
Ditch the Damage Enhancements, it's not needed.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #13
the_matrix_walker

Thank you for your help.

So this only needs a Lesser Create Matter then?

"Bow of the Ancestors

Lesser Create Matter (Produces a Bow and any arrows)
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, Range, Subject Weight.

When this ritual is enacted, a mystic bow appears in the hand of the subject. For the duration, when the bowstring is drawn back, an arrow materializes knocked and ready to be fired in the same action. The magic of the spell helps guide the arrow to its target as long as they are within range of the spell. (The previous sentence just fluffs the Bestowed Bonus)

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Bestows a Moderate Bonus, to hit and Damage +4 (16) + Enhancement; Armor Divsor /2 (10) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 300 yards (13) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs (0). 46 energy (46x1)."
Old 03-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thank you for your help.

So this only needs a Lesser Create Matter then?

"Bow of the Ancestors

Lesser Create Matter (Produces a Bow and any arrows)
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, Range, Subject Weight.

When this ritual is enacted, a mystic bow appears in the hand of the subject. For the duration, when the bowstring is drawn back, an arrow materializes knocked and ready to be fired in the same action. The magic of the spell helps guide the arrow to its target as long as they are within range of the spell. (The previous sentence just fluffs the Bestowed Bonus)

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Bestows a Moderate Bonus, to hit and Damage +4 (16) + Enhancement; Armor Divsor /2 (10) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 300 yards (13) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs (0). 46 energy (46x1)."
You actually don't need Range either. Range is "Self" for the spell even though the bow shoots as a bow. When you create an item out of thin air like this the item has ALL the properties of the normal version so don't pay for normal damage, range, etc.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
the_matrix_walker

Niiiiiiice! And I think that with a slight description change, this works the same if I say that rather than creating a bow, you can cast it on your sweet, accurate Sig Gear compound bow to speed it up and supply ammo...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally different spell notion:

Would it be kosher to reverse the +2 to damage = +1 per die to -2 damage = -1 per die, and use Bestows a Penalty to penalize incoming damage? Something like:

Protection of the Fates:

While under the influence of this spell, attacks that hit the subject only produce glancing blows causing little to no injury. Adjust damage rolls against the subject by -3 per die.

Lesser Control Chance (5) + Bestows a Moderate Penalty, -6 [-3 per die] to incoming Damage (64) + Duration, 10 min (0). 69 energy (69x1)

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-27-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:08 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Niiiiiiice! And I think that with a slight description change, this works the same if I say that rather than creating a bow, you can cast it on your sweet, accurate Sig Gear compound bow to speed it up and supply ammo...
Excellent.

Quote:
Would it be kosher to reverse the +2 to damage = +1 per die to -2 damage = -1 per die, and use Bestows a Penalty to penalize incoming damage? Something like:

Protection of the Fates:

While under the influence of this spell, attacks that hit the subject only produce glancing blows causing little to no injury. Adjust damage rolls against the subject by -3 per die.

Lesser Control Chance (5) + Bestows a Moderate Penalty, -6 [-3 per die] to incoming Damage (64) + Duration, 10 min (0). 69 energy (69x1)
This can work, but it's a broad penalty, not a moderate one. It's affecting all damage.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #17
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I don't know if this is the place for this. If not, I'll delete the post.

I like the idea of a system-less way of designing magic items, which I think metatronic generators can do. (It costs the magic item based on what it does.)

But I'm a real newbie with GURPS. (Love collecting it. Don't have the attention span any longer to understand it. Sigh...)

Can Metatronic Generator do (D&D magic items) Mace of Disruption (bonus damage, an attempt to Turn undead (based off of True Faith or something?), and having a chance to destroy undead much weaker than you (some sort of contested roll?); or maybe just extra damage to classes of monsters (undead/fiends/outsiders)?)?
Old 03-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I don't know if this is the place for this. If not, I'll delete the post.

I like the idea of a system-less way of designing magic items, which I think metatronic generators can do. (It costs the magic item based on what it does.)

But I'm a real newbie with GURPS. (Love collecting it. Don't have the attention span any longer to understand it. Sigh...)

Can Metatronic Generator do (D&D magic items) Mace of Disruption (bonus damage, an attempt to Turn undead (based off of True Faith or something?), and having a chance to destroy undead much weaker than you (some sort of contested roll?); or maybe just extra damage to classes of monsters (undead/fiends/outsiders)?)?
It could, yes. But you could do it with the main system for RPM too. Both use advantages to create magic items.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #19
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
It could, yes. But you could do it with the main system for RPM too. Both use advantages to create magic items.
Doesn't part of RPM magic item creation have the intermediate stage of figuring out which paths are hit and whether it has the 3x modifier (for being more blatant)?
Old 03-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Doesn't part of RPM magic item creation have the intermediate stage of figuring out which paths are hit and whether it has the 3x modifier (for being more blatant)?
No, RPM magic items are created using advantages and are basically just gadgets.

Become a Patron!

Tags
monster hunters, ritual path magery, ritual path magic, rpm