Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Trapt888

Default Rarity

Could someone, preferably Mr. Hackard, explain x w and v rarities and which is more rare and how that whole thing works.
Trapt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Valkyrie

Default Re: Rarity

Not an expert, but commons & uncommon are pretty normal, there is at least 1 Rare (or even rarer) in each booster pack, but you still could get multiple rares. Very rare cards (V) do not necessarily come in every pack. They are (obviously) rarer than Rare Cards. Special (X) cards are, well, special. They are even rarer than super rare. These are usually large art cards or the munchkin throwback cards that are brown and white-ish. We destroyed most of these (W) are very rare, and are desired after.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Trapt888

Why do I have sooo many more x cards than v then? Am I just lucky? Lol
Trapt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
ClassicFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapt888 View Post
Why do I have sooo many more x cards than v then? Am I just lucky? Lol
i do think it can be confusing but many of those X cards you have are just alt art cards of commons. theres only (i think) 7 actual x rarity cards that aren't some form of alternate art. and those are rarer than V.
ClassicFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapt888 View Post
Could someone, preferably Mr. Hackard, explain x w and v rarities and which is more rare and how that whole thing works.
Rarity goes like this:

C: Common
U: Uncommon
R: Rare
X: X Rarity
V: Very Rare
W: We Destroyed Most Of These

The only real exception is the Ace of Spades which is an X rare, but rarer than the other cards in the set. V's are rarer than R's and X's, and W's are rarer than everything except the Ace.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocs54 View Post
Not an expert, but commons & uncommon are pretty normal, there is at least 1 Rare (or even rarer) in each booster pack, but you still could get multiple rares. Very rare cards (V) do not necessarily come in every pack. They are (obviously) rarer than Rare Cards. Special (X) cards are, well, special. They are even rarer than super rare. These are usually large art cards or the munchkin throwback cards that are brown and white-ish. We destroyed most of these (W) are very rare, and are desired after.
Almost. V rares are rarer than most X's (aside from the Ace of Spades), and W is the rarest of the rarities.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
Rarity goes like this:

C: Common
U: Uncommon
R: Rare
X: X Rarity
V: Very Rare
W: We Destroyed Most Of These

The only real exception is the Ace of Spades which is an X rare, but rarer than the other cards in the set. V's are rarer than R's and X's, and W's are rarer than everything except the Ace.
So, wait, are the X rares and the X alt arts appearing at the same frequency?
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
So, wait, are the X rares and the X alt arts appearing at the same frequency?
Just about, the only X that is actively weirder was the Ace of Spades. Of course collation of a box and whatnot may mean more or less X's in a particular box.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
Just about, the only X that is actively weirder was the Ace of Spades. Of course collation of a box and whatnot may mean more or less X's in a particular box.
I've never asked for a specific count/guarantee of any given rarity per box, and it bothers me that people STILL think that's what I want.

I'm just trying to figure out relative frequencies of rarities. I understand statistics, and that it is possible to get 0 X in a box even when the frequency of X's is (hypothetically) 1 out of 10 packs.

Also: It's worth noting that, since X rares and Alt art X's are the same frequency, X rares are substantially more difficult to obtain than they appear. This is because while your odds of getting an X rarity card in general may not be high, only a fraction of those are the unique cards.
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Got my first [W], very exciting time in my life :P
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote