Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
vierasmarius

Default [DF+RPM] Cowardly Berserker

I'm currently writing up a Goblin Shaman NPC for a DF one-shot with a friend, using the RPM system for his spell casting (he's not an Adept, so he'll be using Charms). I'd like the Shaman to be able to cast a spell to drive his goblin allies into a Berserk frenzy, but there's a hitch: Goblins have racial Cowardice. How does Berserk interact with Cowardice? Do I need to negate that disadvantage before I can put them into a rage, or does Berserk override it?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: [DF+RPM] Cowardly Berserker

They both are disadvantages, I would say based on the situation chose whih to roll first, if the first one activated don't bother rolling the other. Basically I see the combo like normally he's running away but when he hit before he can or he actually chose to fight he fights like a wildman most of the time.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Danukian

There is nothing that stops a character form being a Berserk Coward - the 1st example that pops into my head is the Pearl Jam song "Jeremy"...

The Goblin would run and hide at the 1st sign of danger (Coward), but if injured or prevented from running, he would need a Will roll to avoid going berserk, just like the proverbial cornered rat.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
There is nothing that stops a character form being a Berserk Coward - the 1st example that pops into my head is the Pearl Jam song "Jeremy"...

The Goblin would run and hide at the 1st sign of danger (Coward), but if injured or prevented from running, he would need a Will roll to avoid going berserk, just like the proverbial cornered rat.
Ah. The complicating factor here is that it's Battle Frenzy, meaning he doesn't just roll for Berserk when hurt, but as soon as he enters a fight. I suppose Cowardice should kick in before that, so that he'd try to avoid getting in a fight... but if he does, he'd roll for Berserk.

Oh, or maybe he'd roll Self Control for each disadvantage, and the one that fails by a larger margin is the one that kicks in?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
The Colonel

I offer you Regnak from David Gemmell's Legend ... generally regarded as "somewhat shy" when it came to physical courage, but a beserker once the fight started.

Also, domestic cats - three modes - posture, run away or beserk fury.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Bruno

I'm sort of thinking of Werewolves, from W:tA, who were generally rabid berserkers to the last wolf, but could go into a frenzy of terror under the right/wrong circumstances. It had a special name but I forget what it is. Anyways, if they had the terror-frenzy, they'd flee in a blind panic, but destroying anyone and anything that stands in its way to out and running shrieking down the street. Still severe movement restrictions, still All Out Attacking, possibly a worse problem with being reclassified an Enemy just because you're standing between the werewolf and the direction it's fleeing in... (walls be damned, most werewolves go right through them anyways and falling-damage really is the least of their worries).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
jason taylor

How about the Roman stereotype of Celts as "quick to charge, quick to flee"?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
How about the Roman stereotype of Celts as "quick to charge, quick to flee"?
I would put that description as a combination of Overconfidence and Low Morale for green troops!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Stone Dog

Remember that Rincewind the Wizard has both Cowardice and Combat Reflexes... so Cowardice and Berserker aren't out of the question at all!
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berserk, cowardice, dungeon fantasy, ritual path magic, rpm