Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #31
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Critique/Help with my char

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Just nitpicking but I would dump the Grip Mastery and the Two-handed Sword bought up from default and get two Weapon Bonds and 2 pts of some other Skill, probably a social interaction one. Possilby Diplomacy if he's very polite.

This is a character that is utterly committed to his family two swords style. The Two-handed Sword is just a waste
He Already has has 2 weapon bonds hence why it cost 2 points not 1. the Reason it not a waist is

while he's fighting two weapon a Effective Broadsword-17 with His mom's katans, he doing 1d+3 imp 2d+4 cut each. and can claim -2 per parry due to weapon master.

Both if he Switch to two handed to two he effective Two-hand sword-15
1d+3 imp 2d+5 sw and is able to claim the -1 per parry (Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons GURPS Martial Arts p.123)

Densive Grip requires you to lose the second weapon any so you want the two hand weapon skill anyway. for the +1 more to parry he drops down to 1d+1 imp 2d+3 cut
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #32
Figleaf23
Banned

Just as an aside, Savoir Faire (Dojo) has got to be one of the worst point-wastes in all of GURPS (perhaps rivalled only by Cultural Adaptibility).
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #33
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post

while he's fighting two weapon a Effective Broadsword-17 with His mom's katans, he doing 1d+3 imp 2d+4 cut each. and can claim -2 per parry due to weapon master.

1d+3 imp 2d+5 sw and is able to claim the -1 per parry (Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons GURPS Martial Arts p.123)

Densive Grip requires you to lose the second weapon any so you want the two hand weapon skill anyway. for the +1 more to parry he drops down to 1d+1 imp 2d+3 cut
I missed the 2nd Weapon Bond. Mea Culpa.

As to the rest of it though, I wouldn't go the way you want to. My experience as a GM tells me that 2 attacks a round is a (literally) killer ability. The second attack has a _much_ better chances of getting through.

To my mind this is a much better way to deal with multiple attackers. You kill them quickly rather than trying to rely on perfect defense for an extended period of time. Given the Critical Hit rules that's just not a good way to go.

Also in consideration of the Crit rules, attacking twice as often pays off twice as fast.

There's also the issue that you're advocating a strong change in the character's focus. Even if I thought your advice was tactically better than I do it's still the OP's character.

So I say if he wants to speciailize in DWA for offense, don't try and talk him into diluting the character's focus by spending pts on two-handed defense.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Just as an aside, Savoir Faire (Dojo) has got to be one of the worst point-wastes in all of GURPS (perhaps rivalled only by Cultural Adaptibility).
So is Savoir Faire (Mafia) in a game where it's not used. In a heavily dojo based game, it'd make sense.

But point taken.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #35
ZeonTheUnborn

Okay, after some reading, I came up with this set for Rhonin. I changed the vow after writing some more of his backstory. So now if he loses or gets his swords destroyed, he won't be crippled.

ST 13 Will 10
DX 13 Per 10
IQ 10 HP13
HT 12 FP 12

Basic Speed 6 Move 6

Advantages and Perks
Ambidexterity -5
Combat Reflexes - 15
Enhanced Parry (Broadsword) 2 - 10
Signature Gear 4 - 4
Weapon Master (Broadswords) - 20

Weapon Bond
Weapon Bond
Grip Mastery(Katana)

Disads and Quirks
Vow (Find and Kill his mother's killer with her Swords) - 5
Obession(Find his mother's killer) - 10
Pacifism(Cannot Harm Innocents) - 10
Enemy(Rival "Donovan") - 5
Sense of Duty(Companions) - 5
Light Sleeper - 5
Over Confidence - 5
Chummy - 5

Likes home cooked meals
Dislikes disorganization
Humble
Likes to daydream
Horrible Hangovers

skills and techs
Dual Weapon Attack - Broadsword - 16 [5]
Broadsword - 16 (DX+3) [12]
Fast Draw(Broadsword) -14* (DX+1) [1]
Disarming (Broadsword) - 17 +1 [2]
Feint(Broadsword) - 17 +1 [2]
Riding(Equine) - 14 (DX+1) [4]
Carpentry - 10 (IQ+0) [1]
Housekeeping - 10 (IQ+0) [1]
Cooking(Mom's Cooking) - 10 (IQ + 0) [1]
Acrobatics - 13 (DX+0) [4]
Counterattack(Broadsword) - 12 -4 [1]
Retain Weapon(Broadsword) - 17 +1 [2]
Parry Missile - Weapons - 13 DX+0
First Aid/TL 3(Human) - 13 (IQ+3) [8]
Stealth -13 (DX+0) [2]
Judo -12 (DX-1) [2]
Choke Hold(Judo) - 10 [-2]
Arm Lock(Judo) - 13 [+1]
Triangle Choke(Judo) - 8 [-4]
Sweeping Kick(Judo) 9 [-3]

I think some of the techniques added up wrong. But this is the new character sheet. I'll probably re-do it once more after I look over it again.
ZeonTheUnborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #36
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeonTheUnborn View Post
skills and techs
Stealth -13 (DX+0) [2]
Judo -12 (DX-1) [2]
Arm Lock(Judo) - 13 [+1]

I think some of the techniques added up wrong. But this is the new character sheet. I'll probably re-do it once more after I look over it again.
Keep in mind, it's never advantageous to improve more than 3 techniques for a single skill. It always costs less to simply improve the skill.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeonTheUnborn View Post
skills and techs
Stealth -13 (DX+0) [2]
Judo -12 (DX-1) [2]
Arm Lock(Judo) - 13 [+1]

Having 4 or more techniques for a single skill is a waste of points... rarely is more than 2 techniques worth it.

Consider that you have 12 points in broadsword and 12 points in techniques... if instead you simply put 24 points in Broadsword, you would be better in nearly every techniques listed (except Dual-Weapon Attack) and have 3 higher skill and 1 better parry (actually 2 better due to Weapon Bond).
Also, Counterattack is HARD, so it should have at least 2 points to raise it up one from default.

Instead, drop the points from Disarming/Feint/Retain Weapon/Counterattack... drop Grip Mastery since you don't have 2-handed skill, and put those 8 points into Broadsword.

Also why 4pts in signature gear? I understand that each katana is $650 and would require 2 points... but since they're a related set, I don't see the problem in 3 points for a $1300 pair.

Also: why is First-Aid 13 so critical for you? That's 4 points you could use elsewhere and still have a respectable skill of 12.

Last edited by Trachmyr; 11-08-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #38
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
Having 4 or more techniques for a single skill is a waste of points... rarely is more than 2 techniques worth it.
Atully I can think of two times when that's not true, Skill caps and/or When you use the Skill degration for high skill rules. then 4 or more techniques might be worth it if to get the reit of skill penites with out going over the skill level you can maintain.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #39
Trachmyr

Quote:
Atully I can think of two times when that's not true, Skill caps and/or When you use the Skill degration for high skill rules. then 4 or more techniques might be worth it if to get the reit of skill penites with out going over the skill level you can maintain.
Ok, under certain optional rules, but neither affect this character. There is also one other exception, Ground Fighting Techniques (and to a lesser extent Low Fighting) as they also offset defense penalties... but again, it doesn't apply to this character.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #40
ZeonTheUnborn

Quote:
He Already has has 2 weapon bonds hence why it cost 2 points not 1. the Reason it not a waist is

How am I doing 2d + 5 sw with my Katanas? My damage calculations must be off then.

Because I'm seeing 2d-1 swing for my ST 13, and Katana is sw + 1. With Weapon master I'm doing sw+5 with the katana, -1 from my strength, making it 2d+4.

So, I'm going to drop first aid to 12, and save the 4 pts, and I'm going to remove about 2 of the techniques and looking into the broadsword issue.

Last edited by ZeonTheUnborn; 11-08-2011 at 10:46 PM.
ZeonTheUnborn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chargen