Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
starslayer

Default Re: [MH] Charms for 16 effective skill or thereabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
And lucky enough, the charm that was mentioned above wouldn't allow you to do that; it's entirely the 'charmed friend right after injury' variation. The 15 minutes one would be a Greater effect.
Exactly- as is my understanding from other threads with RPK so long as a 'mundane outside observer' would find the effect within the realm of possibility it remains a lesser effect, largely ignorant of what has really happened; though it is importantly NOT MtA style 'collective belief'.

So if the PC is hit by a bullet and drops to the ground, but then gets up and only has a nick on his shoulder- then that is a lesser effect because an outside observer would never have had enough time to register if the damage was critical- Mechanically it's just 'heal damage using path of chance' and just falls into 'another way to achieve an effect using a non-standard path'; but the path used and the 'mundane observer' clause puts a lot of restrictions on WHEN it can actually be used; I imagine it would have minimal problem turning most body shots into nicks; but it's not going to be able to turn a brain splattering headshot into a fleshwound. Similarly it could probably turn a hit from an elephant gun into a fleshwound, but be unable to reduce the damage from a hail or .22s (it is within the realm of possibility that a round the size of a man's thumb could hit a person and through luck fail to hurt him; it is much less within that realm that a similar effect could happen multiple times in single burst of gunfire.). Anything that obviously obliterates the person is also right out (grenades, flame throwers)- but if the attack also obscures the target then 'it was only a fleshwound' could have effect (blacked out by explosion, emerges simply blackened and charred; run over by tank, revealed to have been pushed into the ground rather then flattened against it.)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Refplace

Default Re: [MH] Charms for 16 effective skill or thereabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I'm not sure RPM has time travelling, but I can more-or-less accept a conditional spell that says "when I'm about to get badly injured, I get really lucky" and you could get definitely make that a charm (RPK already agreed you can have charms that are triggered by the activation of other charms). And at that point, I'm more-or-less willing to accept "I'm charmed my friend really quick after the injury, so close enough." The part I really can't accept is "my friend has been bleeding out for 15 minutes, so now I'm going over and invoking this charm and the bullet luckily didn't hit him."
Besides this charm could be the classic book or whiskey bottle in the vest pocket that got hit instead of you.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charms, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm