Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Splitting off Memory Points from IQ completely

Memory Points (MP) indicate the amount of training a character has achieved to date.

A starting character starts with 12 MPs, whatever their IQ is. These are then allocated for starting talents, spells, and languages as usual.

As the character progresses they can buy additional memory points for 500 XPs as usual.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Terquem

Default Re: Splitting off Memory Points from IQ completely

Well, that seems simple and effective
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Memory Points (MP) indicate the amount of training a character has achieved to date.

A starting character starts with 12 MPs, whatever their IQ is. These are then allocated for starting talents, spells, and languages as usual.

As the character progresses they can buy additional memory points for 500 XPs as usual.
Why would every starting character have the same amount of MP? Surely the smarter character would have more?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Why would every starting character have the same amount of MP? Surely the smarter character would have more?
Smarter characters have more distractions, but not more time on Cidri. Therefore they tend to learn more nerdy stuff.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Exactly! IQ is still best way for starting characters to distinguish themselves as far as background, education and training. The choice between those elements and physical attributes needs to remain part of the trade-off that players weigh during character creation.

A flat pool of 'memory points' would remove that.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 11-11-2020 at 03:39 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
phiwum

An IQ 8 starting PC is going to have a lot of weapon skills, I suppose. The only non-combat skills available are
  • Carousing
  • Area Knowledge
  • Boating
  • Horsemanship
  • Literacy
  • Mundane
  • Running
  • Seamanship
  • Sex appeal
  • Swimming

Most of those are pretty useful, I reckon -- especially running. But I'd expect that IQ 8 characters become much more knowledgeable in fighting skills than they are now. In any case, low IQ characters will benefit from this suggestion and high IQ characters will be much less well-rounded.

Of course, whether that's good or bad is a matter of perspective. I kinda like that higher IQ starting PCs are more versatile than lower.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
An IQ 8 starting PC is going to have a lot of weapon skills, I suppose.
Just don't spend all your points right away. I almost always hold back 2 or 3 points.

With that said though I don't actually think removing MP from IQ is a good fix. I see Memory Points as a key part of IQ; perhaps the most important part. Just like I wouldn't want Hit Points taken away from ST.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
Just don't spend all your points right away. I almost always hold back 2 or 3 points.
Same, but you can't do that anymore under the Legacy rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
With that said though I don't actually think removing MP from IQ is a good fix. I see Memory Points as a key part of IQ; perhaps the most important part. Just like I wouldn't want Hit Points taken away from ST.
I was hung up on that for awhile too, but I ultimately realized that I actually preferred not having IQ as an intermediary attribute. Why not just purchase talents and spells with XP directly rather than buy stat points that then get used to buy something else? How the new acquisition model is implemented in the Legacy rules is problematic, however. The base XP cost is too high (initially, at least) and it should scale up as the character advances.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
An IQ 8 starting PC is going to have a lot of weapon skills, I suppose. The only non-combat skills available are
  • Carousing
  • Area Knowledge
  • Boating
  • Horsemanship
  • Literacy
  • Mundane
  • Running
  • Seamanship
  • Sex appeal
  • Swimming

Most of those are pretty useful, I reckon -- especially running. But I'd expect that IQ 8 characters become much more knowledgeable in fighting skills than they are now. In any case, low IQ characters will benefit from this suggestion and high IQ characters will be much less well-rounded.

Of course, whether that's good or bad is a matter of perspective. I kinda like that higher IQ starting PCs are more versatile than lower.
Or all those IQ 8 spells
  • Blur
  • Detect Magic
  • Drop Weapon
  • Light
  • Magic Fist
  • Slow Movement

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:33 AM   #10
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

OK, I suggested 10 a couple days ago but 12 works too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
If you're really shooting for consistency, you should remove the link between initial IQ and skill points, giving all starting PCs the same skill point budget -- maybe 10 skill points. Let the characters purchase more skills with XP as they grow.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote