Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
Pomphis

Default 3e / 4e question

I am on a trip about 2,000 km from home and my books and while I have my laptop with me, 3e UT is not yet available as a pdf. Playing around with GURPS Traveller Spaceships I was looking at robofacs.

Can somebody tell me whether the robofacs in 4e UT are identical to the ones in 3e UT?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: 3e / 4e question

Similar, but not identical. Costs and Control Ratings differ. 4E UT distinguishes between Fabricators and Robofacs, while 3E UT treats Fabricators as intrinsic to facs. Some descriptive differences as well.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Similar, but not identical. Costs and Control Ratings differ. 4E UT distinguishes between Fabricators and Robofacs, while 3E UT treats Fabricators as intrinsic to facs. Some descriptive differences as well.
Thank you. So no difference WRT mass and volume?
Old 07-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Thank you. So no difference WRT mass and volume?
Some big differences there actually. My printing of 3E UT is not clear on the size of Robofacs (Var in the index but no mentioned scalability in the description, which seems to assume a base size of 'several city blocks') while 4E UT has different sizes with their own costs and weights. That 3E oversight might be errata'ed somewhere, but I don't have it.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Full size Robofacs were not statted in 3e UT. They were a throw-away mention in Mini-Facs.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Some big differences there actually. My printing of 3E UT is not clear on the size of Robofacs (Var in the index but no mentioned scalability in the description, which seems to assume a base size of 'several city blocks') while 4E UT has different sizes with their own costs and weights. That 3E oversight might be errata'ed somewhere, but I don't have it.
Thank you again. Then I guess I will simply use 4e numbers. I want to equip some long range ships with small robofacs for repairs far away from a shipyard, and as GURPS Traveller Starships is 3e, I didnīt want to use "wrong" numbers.

(For big ships GT:S has a Factory module.)