Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
Plane

Default advantages for creating dimensions

If you wanted to have some kind of ability to create pocket dimensions that you might go visit with Jumper (World) is there some kind of ability defined for doing that kind of thing?

Conjured variant of Summonable seems to change Allies from mundane/social to supernatural/mental, which could make it an option for either Affliction or Modular Abilities (they can do mental but not social) so if you can define stuff like buildings as allies (they would have high SM, a lot of Payload and DR usually) then I wondered if dimensions could be treated like buildings.

The only problem with this is it implies you can destroy a dimension (dimensions have HP?) but I don't know exactly how you would target it. Dimensions probably have stuff like Cosmic Insubstantiality and Cosmic Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) to prevent casual "I'm punching the dimension I inhabit to death" dimension-destroying.

To make dimensions-as-character super-durable there's actually the enhanced-Diffuse from Powers 53 called "Swarm" where only AE harms you and damage is the % of hexes targeted. You can buy AE for insubstantial to spread out further than 1/2 mile.

This basically means for billions-of-miles-large universes/dimensions even if you only assigned them 1 HP even a 100-damage attack wouldn't be able to hurt them unless it was an AE which exceeded 1% of the known universe in size to cause a dimension rupture (assuming fractional damage is rounded down?)

Insubstantiality atop that would of course make it require "affects insubstantial" to do that too.

Dimensions-as-characters might be the wrong approach, I might be forgetting some other advantage which could work better and uses a non-character approach to creating space in which for other things to inhabit.

It brings an interesting question to "parallel dimensions" though: you could have dimensions which are touching or in some cases overlapping if they have different kinds of insubstantiality...

There I guess must be some sort of "true void" in which all dimensions inhabit which is a non-character... stuff like Jumper (World) presumably somehow lets you phase between overlapping dimensions which have corresponding locations inside them?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.
Default Re: advantages for creating dimensions

If I recall correctly, there's a Pyramid article by Christopher R. Rice that covers making and managing your own personal pocket dimensions. I can't seem to remember which one though, someone else will have to plug that.
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Stormcrow

Jumper (Time). Go back and change history. Now you're living in a parallel world.

If there are other time travelers in your setting, they'll come and correct the changes you made, and your pocket universe will eventually collapse.

If there aren't other time travelers in your setting, or if you make more than one change, going farther back each time, then you'll have escaped into a parallel world of your own design.

(This is the mechanism for making new 'verses in Narcissist: Crash Free, a game that never got its final version published.)

I would NOT try to define dimensions or entire worlds using GURPS character traits.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
If I recall correctly, there's a Pyramid article by Christopher R. Rice that covers making and managing your own personal pocket dimensions. I can't seem to remember which one though, someone else will have to plug that.
guessing "Lord of Your Own Domain" pg 11 of 3/63 (infinite worlds 2) thanks for pointing me there

Rice's "Jumper (Pocket Dimension)" talks about two options "of your own creation" or "attuned"

Whether it disappears (dies) or continues to exist is left up to the GM, but if defining it as an ally then I could see this being similar to "Sympathetic".

Since JPD is 100 points maybe it could be broken down into Jumper (World) limited to work on just one dimension plus Ally, allowing customization and stuff like "I can destroy dimensions".

It would seem strange if something like Affliction (Negated Advantage: Jumper) could destroy a dimension.

If Ally were changed from Social to Mental then I would assume Affliction (Negated Ally) doesn't actually murder your ally, it just makes them function like a non-ally (and you can't summon/conjure more) until it's restored.

The idea of treating the universe like a character is also on page 14 under the 'Domain' power where "sentient pocket universe" is considered a Patron.

Patrons tend to be less-defined allies (they send vague help, they don't tag along) and for non-sentient universes I could see them either as allies (if someone destroys your pocket dimension, you'll eventually get a new one) or dependents (if someone destroys your pocket dimension, you can't gain any XP for that game)
Old 05-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The idea of treating the universe like a character is also on page 14 under the 'Domain' power where "sentient pocket universe" is considered a Patron.
Patrons aren't necessarily characters.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Patrons aren't necessarily characters.
True, storywise I guess it could be an Ally Group as opposed to an Ally.

Tags
allies, conjured, jumper, summonable, warp